Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,869Posts
    • 59,344Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
Page 453
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 27,388 Posts
    • 148,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh wort, I'm so sorry to hear this. Good to hear that your family are rallying around. I shall be thinking of you
    xxx
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 25th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 18,495 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Wort, so sorry - it's all happened so quickly. Give yourself time, I hope you get the support you need from family and friends.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 25th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Thank you picklepot and karmacat , unfortunately hubby passed away on Tuesday , it's been such a shock , and I still can't believe it's happened. I'm getting support from my lovely family but I do appreciate your concern. Live your life to the fullest and let your family know how much you love them .xx
    Originally posted by wort
    So sorry to read that. ((Hugs)) to you.xx
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 25th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 66,472 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thank you picklepot and karmacat , unfortunately hubby passed away on Tuesday , it's been such a shock , and I still can't believe it's happened. I'm getting support from my lovely family but I do appreciate your concern. Live your life to the fullest and let your family know how much you love them .xx
    So sorry for your loss
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 25th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 17,265 Thanks
    Slinky
    So sorry to hear the sad news Wort, thinking of you.
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 25th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 9,931 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    I'm so sorry, wort. Please do take care of yourself and let your lovely family look after you.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (21), DS2 (14), and the cat, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 25th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 11,004 Posts
    • 211,995 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    (((((((wort))))))). So sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of yourself, hun.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter