Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,388Posts
    • 148,352Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
Page 297
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 24th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 20,497 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

.......Still, good news this morning: thanks to 2 150 point surveys in 10 days, I was able to claim my yougov £50 today 12 surveys in June, so my yougov account tells me, thats a *lot*.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well done on the YouGov claim. I'm still a bit short of my 5000 points but have been pretty preoccupied with family 'issues' so this month's political whirlwind has passed me by with no surveys done.

Do you log on to your YouGov account at frequent intervals to see if there are any surveys for you or do you just respond to email invitations from them? I never seem to find any in my inbox these days, except for an Oracle one today

Sorry I haven't been around and online for a while but have just had a good catch-up of all my favourite MSE diaries. I'm glad that your rat situation is coming under control but hope the dreaded mould problem (the bane of my life too) isn't rearing its ugly head again.

Please don't overdo things. This weather is enough to sap the energy of even the most robust people.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-May: £1620.98. June: £146.10
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £1200.00/£3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : £32316. Balance: £24488
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 27,388 Posts
    • 148,352 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks Beanie.

Hi CBC! Good to hear from you. I just respond to invitations as soon as they turn up in my email box - and I really do mean "soon as". It does vary, though, June was a noticeable high, its not always that many. When I get a gap, I do an Oracle survey to get the ball rolling again.

The rat problem is subsiding, true, but I did hear *one* bout of scratching earlier this week, so I know they're not gone. And after what pest control guy said about flies flocking to my loft to overwinter because they live in the garden, I *am* noticing a lot of flies in the garden. Another reason to work hard on the weeding I didn't do anything at all yesterday, though, I actually went to bed for 3 hours

CBC, sorry you've had family issues going on - I'm glad you popped in here. I'm off to see my sister soon, and the new bus service isn't as flexible as I thought, so I have to get a shift on - there's a bus at 0955, and the next is 1242!!! Very odd ... better than nothing, though.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter