Solar ... In the news

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You know there's something wrong with the UK government's policy towards PV, when Australian households are getting 6.3p to 9.7p/kWh, and the UK which needs 6p, gets 4p.

Australian utility increases solar feed-in tariff
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Some good news for PV in the UK, but the headline hides the fact that it may be a couple of years away.

UK solar market resurgent as attentions turn to post-subsidy business models

Housing associations, new builds and PPA's could come in subsidy free, or low subsidy if we (in the UK) start to see the 40c/Wp PV that's beginning to roll out.

Fingers crossed, as this could mean PV and both on and off shore wind heading for around £50/MWh over the next 5-10yrs, lower than the expected wholesale price of £60(ish).

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've just been talking to a guy from Power Vault about battery storage. This came about because I'd contacted my energy supplier to see if they had any deals for people with solar panels.

He was quite up-front in saying the savings would be around £150 p.a. if I just had a set of (4kWh) batteries. He went on to say that Tonik, my energy supplier, are hoping to introduce a 'smart storage tariff' later this year - similar to economy 7 I understand - where the batteries would also be charged off the grid during the night. Using this tariff he said the savings could be £250. He said that they would need to do proper calculations using my actual usage pattern before a more accurate figure could be given.

Power Vault are also in consultations with the power network generators to see if they can set up a 'smart grid' where the uk grid operators would have control of the battery storage and switch it on remotely to generate whenever there was high demand on the grid; a sort of distributed storage system. They were working towards a payment of about £450 per year for the privilege of having this control over a domestic system.

I wasn't certain what he meant about the pricing, when he gave me the following information - not sure if the prices were for complete battery + inverter systems or just the battery section.

He said they were currently offering a lead-acid battery system for around £2500 (a 3 year guaranteed battery life) and a Lithium Ion system for £4500 (this is also a 4kWh system with a battery life of at least 5 years).

They are also about to sign an agreement with Nissan and Renault to use the old batteries from EV cars. He expected that even at today's rate of used batteries coming on line, that this may reduce the system cost by 30% in the autumn of this year.

With a possible saving of £250 a year with a £4500 battery lasting only 5 years, the prices just do not 'add up'. He agreed that currently the costs are too high to make any payback possible and the systems were aimed at those who just want to go 'green' no matter what the cost.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    HPC Audit commission review
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40372613
    what do you all think
    regards
    gefnew
  • Martyn1981
    gefnew wrote: »
    HPC Audit commission review
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40372613
    what do you all think
    regards
    gefnew

I have strong views on this (no ...... really!)

I'm not 100% against nuclear, it's cleaner than coal and low carbon, and as part of a mix, it takes some of the pressure off balancing supply and demand and storage - BUT!

It has to be economic, and in this context (money saving), that means compares favourably with the alternatives, which would be RE, or perhaps RE + storage + the cost of gas capacity.*

* That's additional gas capacity v's nuclear, but not the cost of gas generation, as this would be the same (RE v's nuclear), it's just that we'd need more gas capacity due to the variability of RE.

I'd also argue from the green & ethical side that nuclear needs to be more than just comparable to RE on cost, as I'd personally be willing to pay a premium to avoid nuclear, but that's not an economic argument that I can impose on everyone, so I think the MSE element trumps the G&E part on here (for now).

When the HPC deal was announced in 2012 it wasn't good, but I don't think it was terrible. It compared favourably against off-shore wind contracts at the time, was similar to on-shore wind, and ahead of PV. However there is a massive, gargantuan problem with those comparisons, those are RE costs in 2012, with rapidly falling cost curves, and 15yr subsidy deals allowing for rapid replacement, v's the 35yr deal for HPC, which would not start for about 15yrs (v's 2012).

By 2016 when the deal was reviewed, we already had PV and on-shore wind contracts at £80/MWh (whilst HPC's £92.50 needed 3yrs of inflation added to it), and off-shore wind contracts were now being issued at £120/MWh v's the £160 from 2012.

Today, we have Scotttish Renewables advising that some on-shore wind is now possible at £50/MWh, we have German PV contracts now at £50/MWh (€57/MWh), and they are very comparable to the UK, as they were issuing €91 contracts when we issued £80.

Off-shore contracts in the April CfD (results Sept) are widely reported to be at (or below) HPC prices, in fact these contracts for delivery in 2021 had a bid max cap of £105/MWh (HPC now about £100/MWh).

The government has reducing bid caps for future contracts of £100, and £85 (for mid to late 2020 delivery, similar to HPC delivery date). The importance of this can not be understated - the future CfD auctions for off-shore wind, for delivery around the time HPC comes on line, will have a bid max of £85/MWh, v's the £92.50 for HPC (I believe they base figures on 2012). So our own government expects bids to be below £85/MWh for off-shore wind.

Again, worth repeating that the RE contracts are for 15yrs, with expectations (common sense) suggesting that new contracts at that point in time will be even cheaper, but HPC is a 35yr deal.

Due to falling estimations (by the NAO) of future wholesale prices, the estimated subsidy for HPC has risen from £6bn to £30bn. This may seem hard to believe in just 4yrs (2012 estimate v's 2016) but it's quite simple:
    Previously the were comparing the £92.50/MWh subsidy against a wholesale price reaching £85/MWh in 2030, so around £7/MWh subsidy top up on average.

By 2016 they had reduced the estimated future price peak to £70 in 2027, and £60 by 2035, so around £32/MWh subsidy top up.

The revised prices reflect the lower RE costs, and the amount of functioning RE generation still in operation, but having fallen out of subsidy (such as PV and on-shore wind farms still generating well, but into yr 16 when subsidies have ended).

So that's the basic facts.

• Martyn1981
    edited 26 June 2017 at 11:46AM
    Personal views and thoughts suggestions on HPC and the deal.

I'm certain now that on-shore wind and PV can provide leccy at a vastly lower price, even after allowing for storage costs.

Tucson have just issued contracts for PV + storage at $45/MWh. Even if we assume the PV costs twice as much in the UK (lower generation, but not half as bad) and we double the storage cost (just for fun) then that's $90/MWh, or about £70/MWh v's £100/MWh for HPC in todays monies.

EOS sell grid scale storage at $160/kWh (for 40MWh+ deals), which at 5,000+ cycles works out at a storage cost of $32/MWh, or $16/MWh if we assume 50% of generation needs storage. So that would lift UK PV (or on-shore wind) costs by about £12/MWh. Giving us a PV or on-shore wind price (with storage) heading for about £62/MWh.

EOS have just announced that they will contract for 2022 delivery their batteries at $95/kWh (not the $160/kWh mentioned above), taking my estimated PV or on-shore wind plus storage price down to £57/MWh.

There is a lot of talk about SMR's (small modular reactors) and Thorium reactors, that could provide much cheaper nuclear generation, but these will need a lot of investment monies.

Well, the electricity from HPC over 35yrs will cost approx £90bn. But if that could be delivered at roughly half the price from wind and PV, then that would free up £45bn ...... that's £45bn ..... that's £45,000,000,000 for research and investment into Thorium and SMR's, and we'd still have the same amount of leccy, even if the research projects generated nothing!

The Guardian ran a similar article, which on day one received a huge number of posts from individuals speaking out against HPC. But by day two, the usual 5-10 (nuclear at any price) posters then flooded the comments with mis-information and spin against renewables, and support for HPC (not support for nuclear, which is not yet completely unreasonable), but support for HPC.

Spending watchdog condemns 'risky and expensive' Hinkley Point

One comment I found particularly funny, mentioning how S.Korea has cheaper nuclear and a large proportion of generation from nuclear. However the commentator seemed to have missed the very recent news that S. Korea has announced going nuclear free due to the costs, and the fact that the population neither like nor trust nuclear generation.

So those are my thoughts and estimations, as opposed to straight facts today.

Anyone else?

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% against nuclear, it's cleaner than coal and low carbon, and as part of a mix, it takes some of the pressure off balancing supply and demand and storage
    I am 100% against nuclear if for no other reason than the ongoing cost of decommissioning and storing the waste. Then as I've said before, there is the unlikely but real threat to our energy security if there's an accident or (cyber) attack by morons. I am a great believer in local generation and storage. Still too expensive for most people but by the time HPC comes on line (if it ever does) I suspect solar & batteries/V2G will be competitive.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There is a lot of talk about SMR's (small modular reactors) and Thorium reactors, that could provide much cheaper nuclear generation, but these will need a lot of investment monies.
    I think the real trick with Thorium reactors is that they can burn up our stockpile of nuclear waste. Cheaper generation is good of course, but the UK's record with storing waste isn't that great, and any option that allows us to get rid of some of it is brilliant in my opinion. Plus, since we already have waste trading deals in place (swapping our larger quantities of low level waste for smaller quantities of high level waste), it could only benefit us to be able to burn up that waste and generate electricity at the same time.

SMR's may help with generation, but I'm not really interested if they are just miniaturised PWR's.
  • Martyn1981
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I am 100% against nuclear if for no other reason than the ongoing cost of decommissioning and storing the waste. Then as I've said before, there is the unlikely but real threat to our energy security if there's an accident or (cyber) attack by morons. I am a great believer in local generation and storage. Still too expensive for most people but by the time HPC comes on line (if it ever does) I suspect solar & batteries/V2G will be competitive.

TBH it upsets me a bit that I can't quite say I'm 100% against nuclear yet. I'm certainly 90% against (and 100% against HPC), but if the more rational pro-nuclear commentators are correct, and £50/MWh nuclear is possible, then that would help with the CO2 issue. But as fast as 'cheap' nuclear is being suggested - Westinghouse APR's, S. Korean nuclear industry, Thorium and SMR's, we seem to hear bad news too - unpopular in S. Korea and France with the public, Westinghouse bust, Thorium still not delivering*.

So I'm quietly confident that nuclear will not offer an economical contribution going forward. And neither is BNEF with their prediction of a very small growth in nuclear generation to 2040, leading to an actual reduction in the percentage of worldwide generation from 10% down to 9%, due to the rise in total leccy consumption (wind and solar grow from 6% today to 34% by 2040).

I'm looking forward to the day I can say 100%, just like you, and on a purely personal level, I'm there already.

* A Navitron forumite who was working in the nuclear fusion industry has now changed jobs due to drop in funding, which may impact Thorium too. Basically, whilst both solutions may come to fruition eventually, it's looking like they won't be competitive against RE in the future. So nice solution to 'old school' nuclear fission, but too late to compete against the new energy revolution that has swept in.

• Martyn1981
    EOS sell grid scale storage at $160/kWh (for 40MWh+ deals), which at 5,000+ cycles works out at a storage cost of $32/MWh, or $16/MWh if we assume 50% of generation needs storage. So that would lift UK PV (or on-shore wind) costs by about £12/MWh. Giving us a PV or on-shore wind price (with storage) heading for about £62/MWh.

EOS have just announced that they will contract for 2022 delivery their batteries at $95/kWh (not the $160/kWh mentioned above), taking my estimated PV or on-shore wind plus storage price down to £57/MWh.

I thought perhaps I should post a bit more on this, as cheap storage is the game changer for renewables, and the $160/kWh product is very good today, but taking orders at $95/kWh for 2022 delivery is staggering.

That means we don't have to make predictions, nor argue optimistically about the large scale storage future, as we now have solid numbers to fall back on.

These prices really are game changers, not only because they are fulfilling the promise of cheap storage, but because they give confidence on investing in renewables going forward, and the ability of a storage backed grid to help with intermittency issues as and when we start to reach limits/problems.

Here are some articles on it:

Extract from weekly Carbon Commentary newsletter:
    10, Non-lithium batteries. EOS, one of the leadership contenders in large grid-storage batteries, said that it would sell its units at a guaranteed $95/kWh for delivery in 2022. If a unit lasts 20 years and works every day, the implied capital cost is less than 2 US cents a kwh of stored electricity. Lithium ion batteries are currently well over $150/kWh. EOS has a plausible and very safe battery technology that uses earth-abundant materials. My guess is that most large static storage installations will not use lithium in ten years, although cars almost certainly will. (A small sigh of personal relief here: I mentioned EOS as a candidate for global success in The Switch. Another manufacturer I similarly rated went bankrupt on the day the book was published).

Storage fit for the distributed energy future

Eos Energy Storage drives down costs on battery systems to below $100 per kWh

Eos Energy Storage Now Taking Orders at $95/kWh for the Eos Aurora® DC Battery System

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback