Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zexbox
    • By zexbox 20th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    zexbox
    My Motability end 6 months after handing car back help?
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    My Motability end 6 months after handing car back help? 20th Apr 17 at 12:02 AM
    Hello all hope everyone is good on here.

I have a situation and I really do not know how to deal with it, so I hope someone has dealt with this matter in the past and could best advice me.

When I was awarded PIP I was awarded it with Motability. The problem is though I was awarded it for three and a half years. I know it is a while away yet but I have to hand the car back in Feb 2018 but my Motability payments continue till Nov 2018 so im stuck then for 10 months without a vehicle. In this situation what would you normally do to resolve this as this is the first time I ever claimed motability.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • bspm
    • By bspm 27th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    bspm
    No, ESA is completely different.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

Thank you, did wonder as I was awarded ESA SG March 2014, closest month I can remember without hunting out paperwork, conditions were I was awarded it for two years to be reviewed within twelve months, obviously those dates have long gone.

Lucky me.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I appreciate that, but in the mind of the assessor you may well be able to walk in the future if you had suitable prosthetic legs? Or maybe the assessor is of the opinion that your difficulties will increase?

Even people who have a confirmed serious and life limiting chronic condition will be expected to have to undergo regular re-assessment if there is thought that either they will deteriorate or improve in the short term. In fact those with that level of illness/disability are as likely to not be awarded PIP as they would be awarded some award level.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    Lol I don't need prosthetic legs, I have my own!

I'm not likely to get worse, I'm not likely to get better. I'd been on dla high mobility and middle care for years and the tribunal awarded standard care and enhanced mobility. It's the right award and that won't change in 18 months. My brother in laws fake left over symptoms from his leg injury will resurface in 4 years time and he might even dust off that wheelchair he bought off eBay for his next assessment.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 27th Apr 17, 6:55 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    Lol I don't need prosthetic legs, I have my own!

I'm not likely to get worse, I'm not likely to get better. I'd been on dla high mobility and middle care for years and the tribunal awarded standard care and enhanced mobility. It's the right award and that won't change in 18 months. My brother in laws fake left over symptoms from his leg injury will resurface in 4 years time and he might even dust off that wheelchair he bought off eBay for his next assessment.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Now now, he is family after all!! LOL
    Sorry I thought that you said that you had amputated legs!

I would go one step further and expect him to visit the GP/consultant some weeks before the renewal comes along.
    I do have to laugh at someone I know who also carries out that type of charade. Everyone that knows him can set their clocks when he starts to 'lose' it, painting everything in the home yellow and purple. Invariably he is admitted into hospital for his own safety for a week or two simply because his ESA/PIP is up for review. Now whether all of that is a cry for help or a way of improving his chances of getting a new benefit award, I don't know, but the copious amount of 'weed' that he smokes can't be any good for his mental health.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Apr 17, 9:34 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Now now, he is family after all!! LOL
    Sorry I thought that you said that you had amputated legs!

I would go one step further and expect him to visit the GP/consultant some weeks before the renewal comes along.
    I do have to laugh at someone I know who also carries out that type of charade. Everyone that knows him can set their clocks when he starts to 'lose' it, painting everything in the home yellow and purple. Invariably he is admitted into hospital for his own safety for a week or two simply because his ESA/PIP is up for review. Now whether all of that is a cry for help or a way of improving his chances of getting a new benefit award, I don't know, but the copious amount of 'weed' that he smokes can't be any good for his mental health.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    No I just don't have sensation in my legs, they can't work out why, the only bit I can feel is a hand sized patch over my right knee.

He has the charade down to a fine art, my sisters cupboards are full of prescriptions for nerve pain, muscle pain etc. I ran out of lyrica once over a bank holiday and bro-in-law gave me a two month supply, still in the bag from the pharmacy dated 6 months prior! He doesn't take a single pill! He actually tried to set up a scheme where he sold on his NHS prescriptions to people over seas every month because that would prevent build up of drugs in the house! It makes me seethe every time I think about it. Can't believe my sister puts up with this waster.

Every time they offer a treatment that would affect his quality of life like ketamine infusions he misses the appointment so he goes back to the bottom of the list.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 28th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    No I just don't have sensation in my legs, they can't work out why, the only bit I can feel is a hand sized patch over my right knee.

He has the charade down to a fine art, my sisters cupboards are full of prescriptions for nerve pain, muscle pain etc. I ran out of lyrica once over a bank holiday and bro-in-law gave me a two month supply, still in the bag from the pharmacy dated 6 months prior! He doesn't take a single pill! He actually tried to set up a scheme where he sold on his NHS prescriptions to people over seas every month because that would prevent build up of drugs in the house! It makes me seethe every time I think about it. Can't believe my sister puts up with this waster.

Every time they offer a treatment that would affect his quality of life like ketamine infusions he misses the appointment so he goes back to the bottom of the list.
    What you describe is not unusual. He like many that I know who carry out this type of charade are always faced with the same problem that you mention - how to get rid of the unused medication. One I know sells his Morphine (both MST & Oramorph) & Gabapentin medication to junkies in the area.
    Invariably they have to take the pills out of the boxes and put them in the general rubbish bin, then tear off any identifying stickers from the packets and put the suitably destroyed boxes in the rubbish bin two weeks later (they can't afford to have the pills AND boxes in the same bin) The removed stickers are then destroyed at a later date.
    Doing this every month must be a nightmare.

But what is the result? A suitably 'dressed' repeat prescription list that appears on face value to show that the claimant is quite ill, sick and/or disabled.

In one household that I know of both father and son 'are at it' in this way. Neither have worked since the opening of the Channel Tunnel and have no intention of changing their ways. I wouldn't like to guess what the amount of money is that comes into that household with all of their claims for ESA, DLA etc.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 28th Apr 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    cantcope

It's because of people like him this process has become so difficult. report him
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 £16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    It's because of people like him this process has become so difficult. report him
    Originally posted by cantcope
    The problem is he's spent so long building it up that even if the DWP got his entire medical file he'd look clean as a whistle. If they had the resources to follow him around for a few weeks they'd have more than enough evidence to withdraw his claim and claw back thousands but they don't. He has been shopped before (not by me) and had doctors letters coming out of his ears to send back to the DWP to prove the allegation was malicious, he attended an interview under caution in his eBay wheelchair with a support worker from a charity and took along his letters and was told on the day they were closing the investigation.

If the DWP knew what they were doing they'd realise he can't even propel the chair properly (most people who walk can't as they don't need that sort of arm strength).

NOT BUYING IT
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 28th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    The problem is he's spent so long building it up that even if the DWP got his entire medical file he'd look clean as a whistle. If they had the resources to follow him around for a few weeks they'd have more than enough evidence to withdraw his claim and claw back thousands but they don't. He has been shopped before (not by me) and had doctors letters coming out of his ears to send back to the DWP to prove the allegation was malicious, he attended an interview under caution in his eBay wheelchair with a support worker from a charity and took along his letters and was told on the day they were closing the investigation.

If the DWP knew what they were doing they'd realise he can't even propel the chair properly (most people who walk can't as they don't need that sort of arm strength).
    You are so right. Time is always going to be on his side. His GP/Consultant can only refer to what he says to them and the regular repeat prescription speaks volumes after a few years.
    The only time that he could possibly be caught out is if he is filmed doing something that is completely at odds to what his claimed problems are.
    The DWP cannot go round routinely filming everyone on the off chance of getting a 'hit'. Even reporting him will do no good as, and as you say. he will have the backing of his medical advisors.
    To what extent this sort of thing goes on is anybody's guess. But as I know of three who carry out this type of fraud, there must be thousands more!
    We can only put it down to how the system works for him. Not right of course, but scams like this will always work it seems just as long as the GP/Consultant doesn't have the time to talk to the patient at any length and the lack of money & resources needed by the DWP.

That's a good point about the wheelchair, I never thought about the knowledge and strength it takes to use one. Those in them out of need just seem to make it look so easy.

The other side to this is the money that is lost by the NHS in prescribing drugs that aren't needed and never used.
    Last edited by rockingbilly; 28-04-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • easy
    • By easy 29th Apr 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    easy
    Just to get back to answering ZexBox's original question :

My Motability lease is coming to an end, and I have just received my renewal letter. This paragraph is in the letter..

lf you are currently going through a PIP reassessment, or on a fixed award and do not have 12 months remaining on your allowance, you will not be able to place an order for a new vehicle on the Scheme. We will however be able to offer you a lease extension on your current vehicle until you have received confirmation that your PIP reassessment has been successful, or your existing award has been renewed for a minimum of 12 months. Please call us on 0300 456 4566 if either of these situations applies to you and we will explain this in further detail.
    So I don't think you will have any problem getting your car lease extended until your PIP reassessment has been done.

I hope this helps.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter