Lloyds internet banking - Automated Alert messages!!!

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am extremely upset with Lloyds as they did not send me any messages saying I had just 24 days to open a Lloyds Cash ISA. I will have to ring them and ask for compensation.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jeallen01 wrote: »
    Actually, I don't need to because I manage my resources better than some and don't get hit more than once in the proverbial blue moon
    Wow, that seems to say you are used to 'getting hit', which seems unusual to me; I assume most people never have - I certainly haven't.

As regards your '24 days to open an ISA' message, maybe it's because you haven't seen the message you would have been getting on logging in to your Lloyds account lately? If you'd deleted it, I guess they'd have known you'd seen it and cancelled the reminder emails?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    A precis:

OP got back from visiting friends late at night. Perhaps had a few drinks. There was nothing of interest on television and OP's other half did not want to have sex, and OP did not want to bang one out for themselves, so OP decided to catch up on reading email correspondence.

They noted a number of emails from Lloyds bank with subject lines such as, "Important information about your interest rates". The message body said the information was important and warranted your immediate attention, with more information available when logged into online banking, so even though it was after 10.30pm and there is nothing that a customer can practically do about interest rates at midnight on a Saturday, the OP decided they would log into the banking system and see what it was about.

They were disgusted that the information related to interest rates on an account held with the bank. Another offered the opportunity to make use of a cash ISA allowance. There were several messages about the OP's several accounts. One account even had two messages!

The OP had made a conscious decision when signing up for internet banking to keep the settings which allow marketing messages and account information to be sent by email. The messages were time critical and labelled as such because if the OP had not seen them immediately, the information that there were only 24 days to open an ISA would be out of date, and the time before the new interest rate kicked in would be reduced, giving the OP later cause for complaint about getting short notice of an adverse rate change.

The OP, having uncontrollable anger management issues went "mad", trying to phone the bank after midnight to make the air "blue" with their rage. They were "worked up", enraged, angered and unable to sleep, having ignored the widely dispensed health and wellbeing advice these days to not spend time reading emails and correspondence when you are about to try to get a good night's sleep.

The next morning at 10am, OP contacted the bank who were apologetic and offered them some free money to stop them losing their cool. Unsatisfied with this, OP went online to start a thread on a savings forum encouraging others to 'hammer them'.

Other forum members suggested the issue was overblown, to which OP suggested that such forum members should 'wander off', and became frustrated when comments continued to be made on "their" discussion thread and people wandered back out of curiosity and/or amusement.

The OP noted that it was unfair that banks charged fees if a customer made errors and borrowed money without permission, and something about a goose and a gander came to mind because the OP likes wildfowl-related idioms, although the bank in this case had not borrowed money without permission nor broken the terms and conditions of the contractual relationship.

The OP resolved not to respond to any more comments.
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 4:13PM
    Biggles wrote: »
    Wow, that seems to say you are used to 'getting hit', which seems unusual to me; I assume most people never have - I certainly haven't.

As regards your '24 days to open an ISA' message, maybe it's because you haven't seen the message you would have been getting on logging in to your Lloyds account lately? If you'd deleted it, I guess they'd have known you'd seen it and cancelled the reminder emails?

Incorrect on three counts (that I can think of at the moment):
    - bank charges - can't remember being hit in the last 10-15yrs (actually, probably more like 25 years) on any of accounts with quite a few banks, although I have had a couple of credit card late payment charges in the same period for forgetting to pay, rather than the inability to do so.
    - Last log-in to the Lloyds a/c was Friday 10th March - so the day before this all happened (or should I log in every hour, on the hour?)
    - Cessation of these emails appears to have been triggered simply by logging into the a/c, and not by deleting anything whilst I was in there - because I didn't delete anything!

In other words the damned automated system was determined to make me log in, come what may, even though there was absolutely no actual need or security threat, etc.

Anything else I can "clarify" ??????????
  • jeallen01
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 4:31PM
    bowlhead (how probably appropriate!)
    I not even going to try enumerate the errors of quotation and reference, and incorrect assumptions, in YOUR post - too many to waste my time on.
    Suffice it to say that you will find them if you bother to check carefully before posting again.(or do you, and possibly someone else, actually work for Lloyds - can't see many other reason why you would go to such great lengths to defend that company??)

Sometimes I do wonder why people bother to post on this forum. All I was/am trying to do was to alert (maybe I should use another word in the circumstances, but I can't be bothered) anyone else who had the misfortune to suffer the same automated harassment that someone, somewhere, in Lloyds has not been doing their job properly - which is what customers who deposit their money with the bank expect because they are effectively helping to pay their wages. Customer service should be expected - and not a "the computer says no" situation because someone (probably plural) did not do their job properly.
  • bowlhead99 wrote: »
    A precis:

OP got back from visiting friends late at night. Perhaps had a few drinks. There was nothing of interest on television and OP's other half did not want to have sex, and OP did not want to bang one out for themselves, so OP decided to catch up on reading email correspondence.

They noted a number of emails from Lloyds bank with subject lines such as, "Important information about your interest rates". The message body said the information was important and warranted your immediate attention, with more information available when logged into online banking, so even though it was after 10.30pm and there is nothing that a customer can practically do about interest rates at midnight on a Saturday, the OP decided they would log into the banking system and see what it was about.

They were disgusted that the information related to interest rates on an account held with the bank. Another offered the opportunity to make use of a cash ISA allowance. There were several messages about the OP's several accounts. One account even had two messages!

The OP had made a conscious decision when signing up for internet banking to keep the settings which allow marketing messages and account information to be sent by email. The messages were time critical and labelled as such because if the OP had not seen them immediately, the information that there were only 24 days to open an ISA would be out of date, and the time before the new interest rate kicked in would be reduced, giving the OP later cause for complaint about getting short notice of an adverse rate change.

The OP, having uncontrollable anger management issues went "mad", trying to phone the bank after midnight to make the air "blue" with their rage. They were "worked up", enraged, angered and unable to sleep, having ignored the widely dispensed health and wellbeing advice these days to not spend time reading emails and correspondence when you are about to try to get a good night's sleep.

The next morning at 10am, OP contacted the bank who were apologetic and offered them some free money to stop them losing their cool. Unsatisfied with this, OP went online to start a thread on a savings forum encouraging others to 'hammer them'.

Other forum members suggested the issue was overblown, to which OP suggested that such forum members should 'wander off', and became frustrated when comments continued to be made on "their" discussion thread and people wandered back out of curiosity and/or amusement.

The OP noted that it was unfair that banks charged fees if a customer made errors and borrowed money without permission, and something about a goose and a gander came to mind because the OP likes wildfowl-related idioms, although the bank in this case had not borrowed money without permission nor broken the terms and conditions of the contractual relationship.

The OP resolved not to respond to any more comments.

Well written bowlhead99 :T:T
    #009 :T
  • jeallen01
    Forumite
    Oh well, I tried - and a lot of you are far too "trying" for me to bother to continue - so you "win" and I will leave you all to gloat over my exit from this thread.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,062
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    (or do you, and possibly someone else, actually work for Lloyds - can't see many other reason why you would go to such great lengths to defend that company??)
    I know you've vowed not to reply to any of my posts anymore, but on the off-chance the "possibly someone else" refers to me, I'm happy to put your mind at rest and clarify that I've never worked for any company involved in financial services.

The reason why I'm sympathetic to the bank in this instance, at the risk of provoking another meltdown from yourself, is that I've worked in roles that have been somewhat customer facing and on occasion have had to deal with one or two extremely short tempered individuals with unreasonable expectations. The experience is not pleasant. So I have sympathy for all organisations that have to deal with customers who have, as bowlhead eloquently put it "uncontrollable anger management issues", and furthermore, I completely understand why a complaint handler would bung such a customer £50 to put an end to it.

As to your comments suggesting others do the same as you have, well I'm all for squeezing the banks for all I can get from them, but that's a step too far for me.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh well, I tried - and a lot of you are far too "trying" for me to bother to continue - so you "win" and I will leave you all to gloat over my exit from this thread.

Elf and safety, 'Nuff said.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,106
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would like to ask why the OP feels the need to use

SO MANY EXAMPLES OF MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION MARKS??????!!!!!!!
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport