Problem with TSB contactless?

Comments

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Never had a problem with my TSB cards, I mainly use them for TfL spending (until the 5% ends then back to Oyster) and once a month I top up an Oyster with £1 and then refund the Oyster in cash to reset the contactless usage count.

Never had it ask for my PIN when I actually pay for something in a shop, except at Morrisons when I was buying £30 of amazon gift cards, but that was a problem with the card reader.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    6 transactions over 4 days total £60 without PIN request.
  • Used card in shop Saturday contactless, same shop today rejected and to make it worse obstructive assistant refused to let me try my other TSB card saying it has to be the one I started with or it would take 30 seconds to reset, took 31 seconds to tell me that.

As I approach the end of my contactless cashback period my odds of refusal seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Must be using some odd security algorithms at TSB that other banks can only dream of:cool:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Used card in shop Saturday contactless, same shop today rejected and to make it worse obstructive assistant refused to let me try my other TSB card saying it has to be the one I started with or it would take 30 seconds to reset, took 31 seconds to tell me that.

As I approach the end of my contactless cashback period my odds of refusal seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Must be using some odd security algorithms at TSB that other banks can only dream of:cool:

I always carry my own card and one for our joint account, so if one asks for the PIN, the other is likely to be fine. Then the first card can be used for a very small purchase, to reset it.

I've never been refused the option of changing card.
  • I've beginning to have problems with my TSB contactless - it started off by not being accepted at Aldi (when it used to in the past) and now having problems with Morrisions, again, didn't used to have a problem.

I'm going to be giving TSB a call or via their online chat function to find out what is going on.

It is annoying, as i am not getting my 5%!
    SIL
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've beginning to have problems with my TSB contactless - it started off by not being accepted at Aldi (when it used to in the past) and now having problems with Morrisions, again, didn't used to have a problem.

I'm going to be giving TSB a call or via their online chat function to find out what is going on.

It is annoying, as i am not getting my 5%!
    SIL

Chip and pin cards sometimes don't work if the contact area is dirty, but in a recent newspaper article on contactless payment, it said that a way to disable contactless is to cut off a corner to break the circuit which runs round the edges. Is there any damage to the edges of your card ?

Another interesting point in the article was that a contactless card kept in a leather purse/ bag or together with a second card, makes it less vulnerable to the usual technology that springs up to rob the system.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    Chip and pin cards sometimes don't work if the contact area is dirty, but in a recent newspaper article on contactless payment, it said that a way to disable contactless is to cut off a corner to break the circuit which runs round the edges. Is there any damage to the edges of your card ?

Another interesting point in the article was that a contactless card kept in a leather purse/ bag or together with a second card, makes it less vulnerable to the usual technology that springs up to rob the system.

No damage as far as i can see...Its always in my wallet and i then take it out when using it. It is funny, i used at Prets today and the contactless worked...I think that it is hit and miss.

Will have to talk with TSB i think.
    Wierd is all i can say, don't have this problem with FD contactless.
    SIL
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My contactless cashback is drawing to a close- and my cards seem to be working better! How annoying is that???

I have started withdrawing £10 from the ATM before trying the 3 or 4 transactions needed to reach the £100 and that seems to be working. (And if it doesn't work I shall either cancel the transaction ie if a gift card or put it on the TSB CC which is giving a very small cashback.)

I have quite a clutch of Tesco gift cards now.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    I'm still having problems with TSB being rejected for contactless then going to PIN, usually every 2nd or 3rd transaction goes to a PIN request and has done pretty consistently for over 15 months. I've reported this here a few times and have been keeping pretty close tabs on it.

Its got even worse, and I've now had PIN requests for 3 out of the last 4 transactions!

Saturday 29th October - Contactless failed in Screwfix so I put in my PIN
    Tuesday 1st October - Sucessful contactless transaction in Wilko
    Tuesday 1st October - Contactless failed in Screwfix, PIN request again
    Tuesday 1st October - Contactless failed in CoOp, PIN request again

Can't wait for the 5% cashback offer to be over too be honest! The failures were all for under 3 quid, the sucessful one was for 7 quid.

I've used Android Pay for some larger transactions, but paying with a phone is slower and more unwieldy, although that has probably saved me about 3 to 4 pounds in what would have been lost cashback.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bxboards wrote: »
    I'm still having problems with TSB being rejected for contactless then going to PIN, usually every 2nd or 3rd transaction goes to a PIN request and has done pretty consistently for over 15 months. I've reported this here a few times and have been keeping pretty close tabs on it.

I am now using replacement cards! and they seem to be working better
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure