Robinson Way

I received a letter from Robinson Way back on 14th September 2016 stating they had been trying to contact me at my previous address which was in Bermuda 10 years ago and have now got my current address. I have been living at this address since leaving Bermuda about 8 years ago and did so prior to living there so I have no idea why they wouldn't have found me before! I didn't respond to the letter and have since had another dated 3rd October 2016 saying they've tried to contact me several times and that I owe £1526.43 to HPH2 LTD (Ex Lloyds Overseas). Im so particular about being financially afloat that I'm so sure I don't owe any money. The only thing I can think it can be is an old Virgin Credit card that my ex partner had assured me he'd paid off for me prior to moving overseas. I didn't want to have anything outstanding when I moved abroad. I am still in contact with my ex have contacted him to ask for confirmation that he had paid this off, It would be around Oct 2006 which he is checking as obviously he doesn't remember the situation or conversation. I am not holding my breath with this but I would just like some advice about what I should do with regards to contacting Robinson Way. I have never been in this situation before and don't know what the right way to go about everything is. I suffer with depression and this is really sending me over the edge as this time of year is a hard one financially anyway with 2 kids and Christmas coming. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First things first - was this debt from Bermuda? If so then everything else aside, I believe the term if "jog on" to Robinson Way :)

Secondly unless your ex made payments in the last 6 years on your behalf making it a little less clear cut then it would be statute barred if it were an English credit agreement.

3rdly - I doubt they would be able to provide the CCA when requested so please stop worrying about it :)

Lloyds are not the best with their book keeping (they one chased me for a debt relating to a loan... which in my pre-MSE days I had actually consolidated with another Lloyds loan *sigh* so they had forgotten they had settled the loan with another loan from themselves... :)

Try not to worry too much and I'm certain the regulars will be along shortly with the correct letters to send them to send them packing :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,723
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 11 October 2016 at 11:57AM
    Well basically, if it was a U.K. Debt regulated by the consumer credit act, then the debt will now be statute barred.

Are you not aware of the Limitations act ?

A creditor only has 6 years to enforce there rights in court, so the time for them to do that has now expired.

Send them this :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx

If the debt was from outside of the U.K., then phone National Debtline for advice, but similar timeframes would no doubt apply.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bboo79
    bboo79 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thanks so much for your responses! I have literally no idea about what to do in this situation! I've never been chased for a debt so this has really worried me. The debt has to be a UK debt as that is the only possible debt I can think it could be, everything in my hands has always been paid. I didn't have any credit in Bermuda as my partner was the earner. He will definitely not have made any payments on my behalf since. Can I ask what A CCA is?? Like I said very naive in all this!

I have tried calling Robinson Way but have had no answer so I haven't acknowledged receipt of the letters as yet so should I just send this letter and that should be it as it is statute barred?! Really appreciate this, thanks so much again!
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:30PM
    No No No, don't call them.

The ONLY communication you should have with them now is to send them the statute barred letter, from the link I provided above.

Do not call, do not discuss anything with them, send the SB letter.

CCA (consumer credit act) request for information, would not be appropriate here.

Check out more info on the Limitations act here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bboo79
    Great! Letter in post now and fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate your time and will let you know how I get on!
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    bboo79 wrote: »
    Great! Letter in post now and fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate your time and will let you know how I get on!

Don't be at all suprised if robbers way write back saying you made a £1 payment four years ago, or something of that nature.

They invent phantom payments occasionally to try to throw you.

Remember, they MUST prove you have made payment before the Limitation period ran out, you don't need to prove anything, the burden of proof is entirely on them.
  • bboo79
    Hi Sourcrates I need your help again! I received a letter from Robinson Way today stating:

"We recently wrote to you to advise that the above account is still outstanding. As soon as you get in touch we can help you to find the best payment solution for you.

To help you manage this account we're letting you know about some examples of payment plans now in place for customers with a similar balance to yours:

*Option 1 £18.62 per month
    *Option 2 £25.34 per month
    *Option 3 £41.06 per month

We've helped many customers set up this type of payment plan and they are clearing their debt.

We can help you too by setting up your personalised payment plan with you. We can offer you a similar arrangement to those above or tailor your plan based on your circumstances to make sure it's affordable for you.

Contact us by 28/10/16 to set up your personal payment plan"

Please can you advise how I should proceed? I'm stumped as to what I should say. I sent my letter by recorded delivery so Robinson Way will have definitely received it but haven't acknowledged it.
    Thanks very much in advance again!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    There's some standard letters here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2606811

The one that suited you best was #5 - the hybrid letter. 'I don't recognise this as mine but it would be statute barred anyway.'

A general follow-up letter, which would be OK for you to use now is #4
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    bboo79 wrote: »
    Please can you advise how I should proceed? I'm stumped as to what I should say. I sent my letter by recorded delivery so Robinson Way will have definitely received it but haven't acknowledged it.
    Thanks very much in advance again!

Most likely crossed in the post, sounds like a standard computer generated :

"we want to help you letter".

Advice from Fatbelly (above) is the way to go now.
  • bboo79
    This is really very helpful. Thanks so much both of you! I shall get on it and keep my fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure