Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 12:28AM
    led lights last ages or get 2 pairs and charge one at home. swap as needed. Cyclists might not have constant power but with the fuel savings surely they can afford 98p a set? google amazon 1 Pair LED Bicycle Light VERY BRIGHT BIKE LED LIGHT mount at fork handlebar seat post Red and White FROG LIGHT

stick felcro to both sides of the light and handlebar/anywhere visible. 2 secs to take off and on.

Or a dynamo set and a florescent jacket. No need to worry about charging then £14, again cheaper than a bodybag.

none are rocket science are they? easy to find excuses.....
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    led lights last ages or get 2 pairs and charge one at home. swap as needed. Cyclists might not have constant power but with the fuel savings surely they can afford 98p a set? google amazon 1 Pair LED Bicycle Light VERY BRIGHT BIKE LED LIGHT mount at fork handlebar seat post Red and White FROG LIGHT

stick felcro to both sides of the light and handlebar/anywhere visible. 2 secs to take off and on.

neither are rocket science are they? easy to find excuses.....

not

That won't hold........... Those lights will be in road, smashed to bits in seconds and drivers won't avoid hitting them, they'll almost certainly make a beeline for them.

As for batteries, one set might last all week, but what if it doesn't? What if you leave them on one day? With the cost of batteries most people won't go out and buy several packs OR carry backups, so if those batteries run out on Wednesday morning, what are you going to do?

These aren't excuses, these are real life situations, it's not my problem that some drivers are too blinded by ignorance to see it, just as so many drivers don't understand why cyclists might want to ride away from the "door zone" or avoid drain covers.
    People shouldn't be judging what they don't understand.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 12:45AM
    uh I drive on 2 wheels dude?

yes youre right the felcro clock I have stuck on my motorbike has fallen off approx. zero days in 3 years...

and off course its very very easy to forget to change lights and plug them into their usb charger whilst their on the PC. must be someone elses fault...

if people want to drive in the dark, unlit its up to them. When their hit off they cant complain. always someone elses fault though...

enough said....you cant train stoopid
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!

You are doing a strawman, because of course the vast majority will agree that cyclists should obey traffic laws.

Why do you want to exclude cyclists' views? You'd be amazed how many would agree that cyclists are culpable when they disobey the rules.

or are you just trolling?
  • Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I find machine guns in the bumpers and rocket launchers behind the headlights helpful:o

But seriously though, isn't it a case of pot, kettle and black, shock horror, a lot of cyclists don't follow the highway code, well I hate to rain on your parade but a lot of motorists don't either, doesn't the saying go "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your honesty. I did not even know lights were that cheap??? I am sure a take away cost more. the guy i spoke to, tonight had no lights. If I was driving fast, i would of killed him tonight

That's why you don't drive fast at night in built up areas. Do you not have headlights on your car? I find these perfectly adequate for spotting Ninja cyclists in the dark.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    arcon5 wrote: »
    How is the cyclist endangering you in a car?
    As a driver, very little - just the odd moment of panic when an unlit cyclist appears from an unexpected direction.

As a pedestrian - rather more!

I walk across Central London most working days and this is a significant issue. I will always look both ways crossing a one-way street because of the number of cyclists who break this rule (or blindly assume that because some one-way streets have a contra-flow cycle lane the rule doesn't apply to cyclists). The same for zebra and pelican crossings - because there is a minority of London cyclists who seem to think these are decorative and pedestrians are just slow-moving street furniture to be slalomed round at high speed. More than once I have arrived at a pelican with green man showing, four or five cyclists stopped when another anal sphincter overtakes them and dives between the crossing pedestrians.

So I guess the answer to the OP question is to continue to press the Met to dedicate a bit of time and publicity to tackling the minority of cyclists who endanger themselves and others. As well as pressing TfL and other bodies to actually improve the road environment for the majority of cyclists who just want to get where they are going safely and quickly.

Oh and keep ignoring the ones who respond online suggesting it doesn't matter that some cyclists do bad things because motorists do them too/are more dangerous. They are likely to be justifying their own faecal exit behaviour...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello Motorists,

Why are you only interested in motorists views?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    He's afraid of brat and Marco Panettone
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Using the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy to start another bikes vs cars thread is dumb

Plenty of motorists drive through red lights, driving on their mobile, driving up one way streets, hop on the pavement to go around, go in a left turn lane to jump queuing traffic, speed, tailgate etc

In 2013: 1713 or so drivers died in car crashes, 5396 pedestrians were killed or seriously injured (around 1 death and 14 serious injuries a day) by cars

Data from the Times shows only 20 pedestrians a year are injured by cyclists on the pavement. In 2012 ONE pedestrian was killed by a cyclist and 78 seriously injured, in the same period 253 pedestrians were killed by drivers and 4426 were seriously injured.

Sure though, moan about the moron cyclists who ruin it for the rest of us

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3986796.ece
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family