High Income Child Benefit Charge

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Too long, didn't read.

You wouldn't waste your time reading so why did you waste it posting?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 5:06PM
    GOV_RIP wrote: »
    ......... and yet I read on this thread that there are those who perceive ME (and others like me) as the problem
    ME ............University graduate and PAYE employee
    ME ............ a credit to upholding & maintaining our society for our good and that of our children
    ME ............ worked hard to progress and do better for my family and pay more tax (40%) along the way
    ME ............. costs the government nothing, with my wife receiving only what we believed we were entitled to.
    ME............ a home owner paying an exorbitant mortgage like most others and paying every tax & insurance the government deem fit to demand of me.

I am clearly a criminal in your arrogant eyes .......... I hope you never cross a real criminal in this country because they are a significantly worse threat to society and this government than ME.

To those fools chomping at the bit to tear this apart .......... I have provided you (specifically) much material ........ so go for your lives in your attempt to justify & give credibility to this legislation & penalties incurred as a result so only proving the small mindedness that created this issue for those of us just trying to get by in the best way possible while trying not to harm others but promote good people wherever possible.

Nobody has said your a criminal, or even implied it in the slightest, but you seem to have the belief that because of the things you have listed that you deserve special treatment, or are somehow special, or a better person of higher social and moral standing because you've been to university or earn at the levels that you do and own your own home.

The fact is you're no better than someone who works just as hard but earns less than half of the income you do. Neither is someone who earns twice as much as you of any higher social or moral standing to you or anyone else.

I earn less than £20k, I have my own home, I've never broken the law, I work hard, pay my taxes, pay my bills, deal with disability and mental illness daily, I have a HNC in Engineering and NVQ 3 in sheet metal work and fabrications, plus a NVQ2 in customer Service, but I'm no better or worse than you or anyone else, anywhere.

All that matters here are facts.

This policy was introduced by the Treasury in the Budget statement of 2012 to begin from 7 January 2013.

It was extensively reported in every UK newspaper. HMRC sent out extensive publications.

Its noted on child benefit award notices issued since 2013.

There is extensive information on the Gov. Uk website.

It was extensively discussed on TV, radio and internet forums such as this one.

Each individual liable to UK tax is responsible for their own tax, even those who are employed and have tax deducted under PAYE.

It was even noted on the tax code notice.

If you believe the penalty charged is incorrect and you have a suitable reason why the information was not provided to HMRC on time then write in to appeal/object.

I've said several times on this topic, people are going to have to start taking much more notice and responsibility when it comes to their tax affairs.

Changes coming over the next few year will mean that taxpayers will have to take matters much more in their own hands. The hand holding that has gone on for many years is coming to an end.

The introduction of the online Personal Tax Account will see administration of individual tax affairs dealt with much more by the taxpayer.

Eventually in most cases, with some exceptions, people will be expected to update their income details, benefits in kind, amend tax codes etc online and will not be dealt with by telephone.

As for why HMRC dont know who is claiming Child Benefit when the Child Benefit Office falls under the umbrella of HMRC, is because the Income Tax/Self Assessment department is totally seperate to Child Benefit Office, just as Tax Credit Office, Customs, National Insurance Office, Border Force, Immigration Office are all separate departments but all fall under the umbrella of HMRC. This means each office is a seperate entity and as such they do not have access to each others systems. This means CBO dont know how much each claimant earns.

This has come about now because the department dealing with income tax is working through a worklist of Child Benefit claimants, and checking this against the claimant and other people within the same household who are earning in excess of £50k.

Those who still have not notified HMRC prior to an assessment being raised will most likely have to pay a penalty for failing to notify the tax office of the fact their income is higher than the £50k limit.

This means that people have had 3 to 4 years to notify HMRC themselves and potentially avoid the penalty.

I see and hear the argument regarding who receives the child benefit all the time.

Whilst child benefit is paid to only 1 person, the payment is designed to cover some of the additional costs faced within the household based on the number of children within that household. It does not mean the money belongs only to the person receiving it.

Finally, whilst the child benefit charge applies to the highest earning taxpayers earning more than £50k in a household where child benefit is paid (assuming it is paid to the claimant, partner or spouse and not to a dependant of the higher earner) there is no requirement for the claimant to give up the child benefit, they can choose to continue receiving the payments, it just means that the highest earning taxpayer with income over £50k, will have to pay the charge year on year where applicable.

The child benefit charge is calculated as 1% of child benefit amount to be repaid for each £100 income over £50k.

Whether the policy is right or wrong, fair or unfair is not for me to decide. I have my own opinion that I keep to myself.

As this is the 4th or 5th time I've provided this info I will no longer make comment on this topic or any other topics regarding HICBC.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • dori2o wrote: »
    Nobody has said your a criminal, or even implied it in the slightest, but you seem to have the belief that because of the things you have listed that you deserve special treatment, or are somehow special, or a better person of higher social and moral standing because you've been to university or earn at the levels that you do and own your own home.

The fact is you're no better than someone who works just as hard but earns less than half of the income you do. Neither is someone who earns twice as much as you of any higher social or moral standing to you or anyone else.

I earn less than £20k, I have my own home, I've never broken the law, I work hard, pay my taxes, pay my bills, deal with disability and mental illness daily, I have a HNC in Engineering and NVQ 3 in sheet metal work and fabrications, plus a NVQ2 in customer Service, but I'm no better or worse than you or anyone else, anywhere.

Person, who contributes to UK economy via taxes more than your total income, deserves at least words 'thank you' instead of your harsh comments earlier in this thread. Sorry, but your arguments are ill-formed. You making conclusions ignoring lots of facts. for example:
    1. earlier this thread you mentioned that HMRC is not revealing sensitive financial information, which is very far from being truth. Only by knowing facts that I don't receive CB and someone else in my household is receiving I can easily come to conclusion that 'someone' is my wife. After that, using CB calculator on HMRC website I can figure out the exact amount she is receiving. Second: If I decide for some reason to hide part of my income from my wife and pretend that I am earning less that her, she can contact HMRC and reveal this very sensitive information.
    2. you mentioned earlier that the legislation is clear. In fact it have lots of issues which we tried to discuss here before you came with your harsh comments.
    dori2o wrote: »
    All that matters here are facts.

This policy was introduced by the Treasury in the Budget statement of 2012 to begin from 7 January 2013.

It was extensively reported in every UK newspaper. HMRC sent out extensive publications.

Its noted on child benefit award notices issued since 2013.

There is extensive information on the Gov. Uk website.

It was extensively discussed on TV, radio and internet forums such as this one.

That is widely used misconception which is completely wrong because it was designed by people who were very far from disciplines such as information theory. There are a lot of people who don't watch TV or read newspaper or visit GOV. UK website. Child benefit reward notices are received by claimants and not always by persons who are 'liable' for HiCBC. The only reason why it is being used is because one side abusing excessive power given to her. I
    Each individual liable to UK tax is responsible for their own tax, even those who are employed and have tax deducted under PAYE.

It was even noted on the tax code notice.

If you believe the penalty charged is incorrect and you have a suitable reason why the information was not provided to HMRC on time then write in to appeal/object.

I've said several times on this topic, people are going to have to start taking much more notice and responsibility when it comes to their tax affairs.

Changes coming over the next few year will mean that taxpayers will have to take matters much more in their own hands. The hand holding that has gone on for many years is coming to an end.

The introduction of the online Personal Tax Account will see administration of individual tax affairs dealt with much more by the taxpayer.

Eventually in most cases, with some exceptions, people will be expected to update their income details, benefits in kind, amend tax codes etc online and will not be dealt with by telephone.

Eventually all HMRC employees will be fired and replaced by robots, because most of them are lazy and rude morons, who already have all the information, but still demanding this information from taxpayers who finance their wages.
    As for why HMRC dont know who is claiming Child Benefit when the Child Benefit Office falls under the umbrella of HMRC, is because the Income Tax/Self Assessment department is totally seperate to Child Benefit Office, just as Tax Credit Office, Customs, National Insurance Office, Border Force, Immigration Office are all separate departments but all fall under the umbrella of HMRC. This means each office is a seperate entity and as such they do not have access to each others systems. This means CBO dont know how much each claimant earns.

That is not true, otherwise no one who failed to submit self assessments would have received penalty notes. Now I have serious concerns about quality of secondary education in the UK, because it seems that absence of university degree doesn't allow people to make 2 step conclusions.
    This has come about now because the department dealing with income tax is working through a worklist of Child Benefit claimants, and checking this against the claimant and other people within the same household who are earning in excess of £50k.

Those who still have not notified HMRC prior to an assessment being raised will most likely have to pay a penalty for failing to notify the tax office of the fact their income is higher than the £50k limit.

In other words you admit that department dealing with taxes have information about households demanding CB? Although instead of using this information for amending tax code for the following year they are forcing taxpayers do extra work?
    This means that people have had 3 to 4 years to notify HMRC themselves and potentially avoid the penalty.

No, they started penalising taxpayers in 2015, although done it silently for some of them. Then they waited until penalties and interest grow up and started demanding money.
    Whether the policy is right or wrong, fair or unfair is not for me to decide. I have my own opinion that I keep to myself.

As this is the 4th or 5th time I've provided this info I will no longer make comment on this topic or any other topics regarding HICBC.

That is good, because info you provided is already known to everybody. You don't understand simple thing: people who asking here about HiCBC are already paying quite heavy taxes and I doubt that they want to hear comments such as 'it is your own fault'.
  • Also caught out by this, as have an alarming amount of others in my office (a colleague was contacted by HMRC, which prompted a few of us to check our own situations).

The real stinger for me, which I object to and which feels completely unfair- is that BIK gets added to your salary- and for three years this additional BIK took me over the threshold.

I didn’t earn 50k. And any vague recollection of any advertising campaign by HRMC didn’t mention that we have to add BIK ontop of our salary to get our ‘actual earnings’.

The colleague that was contacted by HMRC was caught after they reviewed 2012-13 data (I believe). So they are working through a huge backlog. Thousands of people will get caught by this. Which kind of implies that the process doesn’t work?
  • I am yet another one that has fallen foul of this change earning below the threshold prior to the introduction of this legislation.

What I can't quite understand as I am PAYE, why it has taken until now for this to be flagged by HMRC as they know what I earn and I have never been asked to fill in a self assessment tax return until now.

I am looking at about £2,500 + £500 in penalties for 2015 & 2016 + around £1,700 & further penalties for 2017.

I see everyone talking about ignorance is not an excuse (probably from people who work from HMRC), however, what if it is a genuine mistake which i suspect most of the cases are.

I don't have a issue with paying the benefit back, however, the penalties are totally unjust.

Oh yeh, I got a snotty letter from HMRC in January referring to a letter sent in October 2017 which I never received as they had sent to the wrong address - keep up the good work HMRC!
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    There a thread somewhere on here from me many years ago

I brief my now ex wife and I had a child in 2006 both low earners at that point so claimed child benefit

2010 we got divorced , she kept the child benefit payment and I paid her maintence

2014 my earning tipped over 50k , I hadn't received anhythinhg from hmrc , I was aware of the cb changes but as I wasn't receiving cb didn't worry

A year or so later nasty letters from hmrc that I owe them money for claiming cb and earning over 50k

I explained there must be some mistake as my ex wife gets the cb, I even sent them her bank statements etc - they wouldn't back down as they insisted that even though she gets the money the claim was in my name

In the end I won as they couldn't prove I had made the original claim (the recording from 2006 was scrambled)

Incredibly worrying and frustrating few months - and the audacity to still pursue me despite acknowleding I hadn't been receiving any money

If anyone can find my thread please read : some support from peeps on here but lots of I should have known better

I maintain I did nothing wrong and believe hmrc / cb have made a mess of this catching lots of innocent folk out

Its another department is a crappy excuse
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 8:40AM
    shaka1510 wrote: »
    & further penalties for 2017.

I see everyone talking about ignorance is not an excuse (probably from people who work from HMRC), however, what if it is a genuine mistake which i suspect most of the cases are.

I doubt most people saying so work for HMRC, they just think that everyone should pay the state what they are supposed to. If it is ignorance then that by definition means that it is a mistake, by the way.

Look at it this way, if you did 70 in a 40limit by mistake, would you expect ignorance there to work? Same deal here.

One very surprising thing on these threads is how recklessly people on good wages are living. I know that it!!!8217;s not riches, but I!!!8217;ve always advised people to save some of their pay rises as they move from a starting wage through this level. Living with no buffer turns a minor annoyance into a major headache, and can even tip it over into a proper crisis as shown on other threads on this issue.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2018 at 1:58PM
    John-K wrote: »

Look at it this way, if you did 70 in a 40limit by mistake, would you expect ignorance there to work? Same deal here.

A better analogy is doing 43 in a 40 when the speed limit sign was partly obscured, then the police come knocking 3 years later, demanding that you pay an additional penalty (on top of the standard fine) because it's taken them 3 years to realise you broke the speed limit.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    A better analogy is doing 43 in a 40 when the speed limit sign was partly obscured, then the police come knocking 3 years later, demanding that you pay an additional penalty (on top of the standard fine) because it's taken them 3 years to realise you broke the speed limit.
    No, that is a terrible analogy, as the speed limit does not apply if the signs are not in accordance with the law, whereas with the child benefit it is the recipint’s responsibility to know the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure