PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »

Lunch was tuna & mayo sarnie, I noted someone here eating them the other day, which triggered my desire for one.

It made change from cheese...

It was me with the tuna mayo sanrnies. I have got a tinned tuna mountain that I need to get through so have been having a lot of tuna mayo sarnies.

Funny enough you having cheese sandwiches gave me a yearning for those, and that is what I have moved on to now :)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    So far today I've had coffee and a portioned out bowl of mesa sunrise cereal with cashew milk. I bought the cereal ages ago as it was reduced, it's gone its best before date but its still good. I have one portion left! I have just enough cashew milk for a tea later which will be nice.

I'll have some fruits to snack on over the day.

Later I'll use the last of the slaw mix with the last of the vegan mayo to make coleslaw.
    Dinner will be the last of the butternut squash fajita mix I've been eating for the last two days already. So third day in a row, with a baked potato and the last of the avocado I have.

Todays theme if you've missed it is use up the last of, lol.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 3:24PM
    I don't really fancy the remainder of the chinese so soon.... I do wish more chinese takeaways would produce a "meal in a box" that's half the size of a main+side. Some do it, where you get a bit of the main + a bit of rice + a few noodles or some chips.

Today I've so far scoffed quite a few items - none of which have meal names, so here's the list, in scoff order:

- portion of honey/nut cornflakes
    - last thick/fluffy crumpet + a cheese triangle
    - scrambled eggs, sausages, beans
    - the final choccy.

EDIT 1: 6 large prawn crackers.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Farway, caron Did you know Borage is an excellent plant food/fertiliser for especially tomato and strawberry plants?

Add a good quantity of Borage to water in a container/ dustbin with a lid on. Leave to mature then use one third Borage liquid and 2 thirds water in a watering can then water the soil around the base of the plant..not on the plant.

Word of warning it absolutely stinks :eek: but worth it for the boost it gives the toms etc :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    Well, tea was some of the leftover chicken balls. I'd finished the rice off last night (it wasn't that good, I can make better). I also had all the S/S sauce yesterday ... it was passable, but not excellent.

So today I made more rice and served some of the chicken with some instant curry sauce. I retained a tiny bit of the rice for tomorrow ... but tomorrow I'll have to knock up a little bit of chow mein, although I've no onion in the house as I'm emptying the freezer... so it'll be onionless chow mein :) ditto bean sprouts (I never have those in the hosue). So it'll just be noodles/soy :)

The chicken texture was better than yesterday, but I still got the collywobbles eating it due to how it was yesterday.... once I've had "funny meat" of any sort that puts me off it again for years.

I have to finish the chicken tomorrow .... and, regretfully, I think I'll give up on Chinese for a couple of years.

As this is only the 2nd time I'd been to that chinese I will never know if I got a rogue batch of "only just cooked" stuff, or what... all I can determine from it is I don't wish to run the risk of it being "only just cooked". I do like chicken to behave like chicken, so it peels away from itself ...

I might have half a dozen prawn crackers later.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Evening all. A frustrating day here really. The plasterer was an absolute angel and was clean, tidy and mopped the floor after himself and everything but I've been confined to the living room really so I'm
    now a bit bored and fed up. Plus I haven't yet heard that my son is there safe and sound. I know he'll be fine but as a Mum I worry.

Just cooking some rice to go with my keema for tea. Lunch was leftover pasta heated up in the microwave with grated cheese and lots of black pepper.

You all put me to shame with the gardening. I get prickly heat so can't stay out for long in the sun. Mine is due a big weed I shall have to do an hour at a time tomorrow or something.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    Yes, from seed, really easy, I did grow them years ago and they self seeded everywhere but eventually died away, so thought I would give them another go 'cos they are lovely blue and bee friendly to boot
    Thanks - too late to sow this year but I'll get some seeds for next year:)
    karcher wrote: »
    Farway, caron Did you know Borage is an excellent plant food/fertiliser for especially tomato and strawberry plants?

Add a good quantity of Borage to water in a container/ dustbin with a lid on. Leave to mature then use one third Borage liquid and 2 thirds water in a watering can then water the soil around the base of the plant..not on the plant.

Word of warning it absolutely stinks :eek: but worth it for the boost it gives the toms etc :D
    Thanks I didn't know that. I have made "weed" tea before boy did it pong....._pale_
    Well, tea was some of the leftover chicken balls. I'd finished the rice off last night (it wasn't that good, I can make better). I also had all the S/S sauce yesterday ... it was passable, but not excellent.

So today I made more rice and served some of the chicken with some instant curry sauce. I retained a tiny bit of the rice for tomorrow ... but tomorrow I'll have to knock up a little bit of chow mein, although I've no onion in the house as I'm emptying the freezer... so it'll be onionless chow mein :) ditto bean sprouts (I never have those in the hosue). So it'll just be noodles/soy :)

The chicken texture was better than yesterday, but I still got the collywobbles eating it due to how it was yesterday.... once I've had "funny meat" of any sort that puts me off it again for years.

I have to finish the chicken tomorrow .... and, regretfully, I think I'll give up on Chinese for a couple of years.

As this is only the 2nd time I'd been to that chinese I will never know if I got a rogue batch of "only just cooked" stuff, or what... all I can determine from it is I don't wish to run the risk of it being "only just cooked". I do like chicken to behave like chicken, so it peels away from itself ...

At least you know as your ok today the meat was ok....;) Tbh - I cook my chicken to the "just cooked" stage ( I use a thermomenter to check) as I'm not keen if goes flakey:)

I conked out again this afternoon but feel the "brain fog" has lifted a little:). The weather perked up around 5pm so I managed to get the second lots of peas and broadbeans out and thinned out and repotted some salad leaves. I also had a noodle about my pots and I have a few radishes not far off of being ready - I thought with all the rain they might not form:D.

My broccoli soup turned out lovely, I added the last wee bit of smoked stilton to the pot just the rind really and it really boosted the flavour without being too overpowering so that's lunch sorted for a few days and no doubt a portion or so for the freezer. I do love a poached egg in soup so suspect that may feature as well. I've taken a pork chop out for tonight so plan to have it with herby potato slices and the LO salad and dip.

Rain forecast again for tomorrow so I'll need to get some housework done and I want to rake through my veg drawer and see what needs using up. Try as I might I can't seem to get back into meal planning but this might give me a nudge.....;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Evening all. A frustrating day here really. The plasterer was an absolute angel and was clean, tidy and mopped the floor after himself and everything but I've been confined to the living room really so I'm
    now a bit bored and fed up. Plus I haven't yet heard that my son is there safe and sound. I know he'll be fine but as a Mum I worry.

Just cooking some rice to go with my keema for tea. Lunch was leftover pasta heated up in the microwave with grated cheese and lots of black pepper.

You all put me to shame with the gardening. I get prickly heat so can't stay out for long in the sun. Mine is due a big weed I shall have to do an hour at a time tomorrow or something.
    Oh prickly heat you have my sympathies my Mum was plagued with it. I'm prone to itchy hives on my neck/chest if I get too warm so tend to have a small spray bottle of cool water to hand to stop it getting too inflamed:(
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

It's a shame that this wasn't very good. You may feel like trying a different chinese in a couple of months. I am quite fussy over chicken as well. I always make sure it is well cooked and probably overcook it a little bit to be certain it is cooked through.

Do you like any take away other than chinese that you could have next time?
  • PasturesNew
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Never believe that mine is hard.... I hate it, I'm rubbish at it, I put it off as long as possible ... and I eventually manage to do 2-3 hours once a year (done that now!).

After that I have a big bucket and each time I'm out I'll randomly pluck at the odd bit/piece here and there and toss it into the bucket half heartedly.

I really wish I'd bought a house that'd already had the full concrete treatment outside :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure