Nationwide Refer a friend - eligibility if switched before and received incentive

I just have a quick question relating to the Nationwide refer a friend incentive.

If the person recommended has previously received a RAF incentive payment for switching an account to Nationwide in the past (about 2 years ago) are they ruled out from receiving a second referral and payment for a further switch.

I would assume section 8 of the terms precludes this - although the wording could be taken to apply to the new application process only not a prior one in the past on the old RAF scheme.

'The recommended friend will only be entitled to receive one payment for being recommended even if they switch more than one account to us or are recommended by more than one person.'

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/service/raf-conditions

Comments

• EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:09PM
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    the wording could be taken to apply to the new application process only not a prior one in the past on the old RAF scheme.

Why do you think that, -is it just wishful thinking? It doesn't say that it only applies to the present/new scheme, so the obvious conclusion is that it applies to any previous scheme, ever, not just to the present scheme.

The recommended friend will only be entitled to receive one payment for being recommended

If the friend has had a previous payment for being recommended, they can't have another payment for being recommended again. It's irrelevant how long ago it was. It's very plain and simple language to me.

In any case, the "new scheme" as you call it, isn't new, it's been running a long time now. It was only £50 at one time, not £100, but I think the terms were the same or similar.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Why do you think that, -is it just wishful thinking? It doesn't say that it only applies to the present/new scheme, so the obvious conclusion is that it applies to any previous scheme, ever, not just to the present scheme.

The recommended friend will only be entitled to receive one payment for being recommended

If the friend has had a previous payment for being recommended, they can't have another payment for being recommended again. It's irrelevant how long ago it was. It's very plain and simple language to me.

In any case, the "new scheme" as you call it, isn't new, it's been running a long time now. It was only £50 at one time, not £100, but I think the terms were the same or similar.

They 'renew' the scheme from time to time. For example the latest offer began on 1st February http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/service/raf-conditions even though it's basically the same terms as the one that began in February 2016 and very similar terms to what went before that.

But as you say, it's a blanket preclusion from receiving further recommendations and qualifying again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure