Farepak in administration: What to do? (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• sandfacer
    Options
    hita asked farepack to protect customer payments in august but was told advised not to on legal reasons
  • xxdougiexx
    Options
    Does anybody know how we could find the companies so many of the Farepak directors have interest in ????
    I for one believe that if we all boycotted using these companies products that eventually these directors would be obliged to give up their other business interests.... Call it bad karma but I believe these people deserve to feel the pain and stress they have all put us through this last week and the months ahead on an ongoing basis.... An eye for an eye and all that...

Revenge would be sweet !!!
  • kate1976
    kate1976 Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Options
    michjoe wrote:
    I have got a letter from my local MP today though stating that he is doing all he can to support the trade and industry minister Ian McCartney in his investigations.

I received my MP's reply today too, saying the same thing.
    Kate
    xxx
    :Axxx
    "A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
    and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!
  • angel184
    Options
    Hi first time using this site i actually come across it when i was looking for information on the fare pak vouchers as a mother whos just lost 500 because of all this i think its great the way you try and help others out with all the money saving tips. I also seen the ebay xmas cards topic but couldnt find it on ebay when looking. I hope i've put this on right place and sorry if i havent. im still quite gutted about the whole thing my agent has contacted our mp and he is doing all he can but i was just looking and hoping for ways to make my 3 kids xmas some what better than it looks at the moment.
  • Tildy_2
    Tildy_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Theres just been something on 5 live about how some MP has come to an agreement, about helping thousands of farepak customers. I'm sorry I cant be clearer than this, does anyone know anymore?
  • sandhabibi
    Options
    Tildy wrote:
    Theres just been something on 5 live about some MP has come to an agreement about helping thousands of farepak customers. I'm sorry I cant be clearer than this, does anyone know anymore?

My father just rang me about that and said he'd just heard on news that the government are going to help by giving us a small percentage back to help us as they knew it was all money saved for christmas, thats all he could tell me so sounds like gd news
    Olympic bronze challenge-started 7/1/06-total so far is £194.30
  • Tildy_2
    Tildy_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just found this...

Hope for hamper firm's savers

Press Association
    Saturday October 21, 2006 3:48 PM

Thousands of families facing a bleak Christmas following the collapse of hamper savings firm Farepak may receive some cheer following a meeting between consumer minister Ian McCartney and retailers.

The British Retail Consortium accepted in principle proposals for a goodwill gesture towards Farepak customers who have lost out.

Swindon-based Farepak ran a savings scheme in which an estimated 150,000 customers have put money aside for vouchers and Christmas hampers. But administrators have said that no orders will be fulfilled after the company went into administration on October 13.

Some of those affected are understood to have saved four-figure sums to ensure themselves a merry Christmas, but are now facing a holiday season without presents or turkey.

No details were immediately available of the goodwill scheme, which is backed by many large stores, but Mr McCartney said it must be "simple, not derisory, fraud free, easy to administer at store level and have as much choice as possible".

BRC spokesman Richard Dodd said: "This is purely a goodwill gesture. The fact that Farepak has gone bust is nothing to do with other retailers, so they are not under any obligation to step in."

Any scheme would have to be organised swiftly, with Christmas just two months away.

"It is potentially quite a substantial undertaking, given the numbers of people involved, but retailers have overwhelmingly expressed a willingness to help," said Mr Dodd.

Mr McCartney said: "It was a productive meeting and the BRC accepted in principle the idea of a goodwill gesture, given the exceptional circumstances surrounding Christmas.

"The BRC will now be contacting their members so that retailers can decide what they might be able to provide and to consider further the practical steps required to take this matter further."

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2006, All Rights Reserved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6162242,00.html

and

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006490006,00.html
  • emilyj
    emilyj Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    This sounds great, and I hope it comes to something, but to do what is required in just a few weeks, when I doubt if the Administrators will even have collated the full list of claims by the end of the year, is really asking a lot.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The following is a reply I had regarding some questions I put to the HITA, probably a standard response sent to all who have complained:

The parent company, European Home Retail last filed it's accounts up to
    April 2005 and these showed an operating profit in excess of £4,000,000
    which was satisfactory.
    On the 30th June they published a statement saying that their existing
    funding would run out in the autumn and they were looking for extra
    investment. We spoke to their directors and were assured that this
    investment would be found and they would honour their liabilities.
    On the 23rd August their shares were suspended. Again we asked their
    directors to clarify the situation and if the customers payments were now
    being ring-fenced. They said that they were confident that the business
    would survive but they had taken legal advice and had been told that it was
    not necessary to protect the further payments received from customers.
    On the 13th October administrators were appointed.
    Our concerns are many and one of the main ones is the time between their
    shares being suspended and the appointment of administrators during which
    period more and more prepayments arrived with the only beneficiary being
    their bank ( Halifax Bank of Scotland) who would have seen their exposure to
    the company lessened.
    Our solicitors have written to their bank demanding and explanation and we
    have discussed this matter openly on media interviews.

I am completely independent from Farepak or any of the companies within the
    group.

With the information we have we feel that this event is singular and has
    been caused by the parent company using the pre-payments to finance other
    companies within the group and the bank happy to see YOUR payments helping
    to pay back the overdraft. We hope to expose these facts.
    :j
  • zsazsa_3
    zsazsa_3 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    emilyj wrote:
    This sounds great, and I hope it comes to something, but to do what is required in just a few weeks, when I doubt if the Administrators will even have collated the full list of claims by the end of the year, is really asking a lot.
    It certainly will be an enormous task for them to pull off. Farepak will have had a huge database of all Agents and the information should be easy enough to pull from there. The latest from the administrators was that they would be writing to customers by the end of November. I guess we shall just have to wait and see what transpires over the next few days or so.
    I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it's only a choice of attitude :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure