Cam belt change cost

Hi all,

Does anyone know what it costs to change the cambelt on a '53 Seat ibiza (TDI). It would be having the 60,000 mile service.

Thanks for any info,
D

Comments

• tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cost us approx £200 for a W reg Bora if thats any help :confused:
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Not being at work, can't check up for you, sorry. Its not a make we get in often. They do vary so much. VW parts are very reasonably priced on the whole, not sure of SEAT - plus it needs a biggish service too.

Recommend ring a dealer to get the worst case scenario - and ask them for the price of the cam belt tensioner/s to be included too. Then phone a couple of good independent garages. Should give you a good guide then.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • budget for 400 and get the water pump changed whilst your at it, if its less its a bonus!
  • jeannieblue
    budget for 400 and get the water pump changed whilst your at it, if its less its a bonus!

Wouldn't have thought it would need water pump done this time - second cam belt change maybe.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wouldn't have thought it would need water pump done this time - second cam belt change maybe.

I’d change anything with a bearing, water pump and any rollers/tensioner. Maybe think about oil seals too
  • jeannieblue
    vaio wrote: »
    I’d change anything with a bearing, water pump and any rollers/tensioner. Maybe think about oil seals too
    Its good to be cautious I know, but really don't know if that would be unnecessary expense.

Surely a good mechanic can assess the water pump when he's in there? I don't know much about SEAT's and maybe you could be right to do all that.

Ill sit on the shelf with this one. ;)
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Thanks for the info, i will find £400 to put aside. Just one question though, when people mention 'water pump' is that just a term for the coolant pump? I only ask because it is a special liquid that we use in our radiator, not water. Thanks again for all the help.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    dfub wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, i will find £400 to put aside. Just one question though, when people mention 'water pump' is that just a term for the coolant pump? I only ask because it is a special liquid that we use in our radiator, not water. Thanks again for all the help.

yes that is what they mean.
    ...work permit granted!
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its good to be cautious I know, but really don't know if that would be unnecessary expense.

Surely a good mechanic can assess the water pump when he's in there? I don't know much about SEAT's and maybe you could be right to do all that.

Ill sit on the shelf with this one. ;)

I’m sure a mechanic could tell you the pump is good now, could he say it will last another 60k miles? Not sure.

I don’t know about Seats but on my car the labour to get to the cambelt is £800, once you are there it would be madness not to change a £30 water-pump and some £5 oil seals. I’d guess the same logic applies to most cars
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    vaio wrote: »
    I don’t know about Seats but on my car the labour to get to the cambelt is £800

Gulp !!

Focus 1.6 petrol.

£105 Labour, £52 belt and bits. 4 weeks ago !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure