PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Monna, if I can wear pvc and carry a whip, I'm sure you can wear purple.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Monna - I prefer the green version of the site too. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on the new home page and select desktop version the new page will access the forum and it comes up in the old style.
    HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've only ever had a pale blue version!

monna, young lady, how I wish I could just 'wander down to the beach' sounds wonderful. It's really cold here, blowing a gale and pouring down.

Just home from the school show which was really quite good, the singing was fabulous and the scenery only fell over once!

You have been busy pooky, hope hubby enjoys his new space.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Horrible thing happened here in New Mexico. Two children, sister 11yrs and her brother 9yrs, were let out from the school bus and were enticed to get into an SUV while they were walking home. The boy was put out about 20 miles later and was found walking alone, in the dark, on the highway. The little girl was found murdered the next day about seven miles away from there. Both children are Native American. The little boy was able to give such a detailed account of the vehicle and the man that he was arrested the following day. He was also NA. The Navajo Nation is sovereign and has to invite the FBI to investigate. But everyone, including the county sheriff's office and the nearest town's police were all out searching for this little one.
    We are horrified and heartbroken.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I promised a link to the wool dryer balls. Hopefully these won't get used again for a while as I will be able to dry washing outside.
    This is the eco-wash ball that I was sent to review. Works fine on light soiling.

What an awful happening, Mila. The community must feel shattered.
    I am also feeling for all those in Canada who have lost their homes in the wildfires. A good online friend of mine, who I have also met in real life - I stayed at her house - has family in Fort McMurray.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    Spent the day at work moving patients around the province due to the fires. Fort Mac has been evacuated and the hospital and nursing home patients are all tucked up in beds. The health service charted planes for some, used the air ambulance fleet and ground ambulances.

Neighbourhoods are gone. Burnt to the foundations.

Slave Lakes fire a few years back now seems minor
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Good to see you're able to post Wondercollie, but such devastating circumstances. I hadn't realised that Canada had wildfires.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May 2016 at 10:19AM
    Goodness Wondercollie, that's just awful :( We haven't seen anything on the News here about fires in Canada. I hope all your family and friends and your home are okay. You must be exhausted. Thoughts are with you.

mila What a dreadful thing to happen :( Thank goodness they were able to catch the man thanks to that brave little boy. I guess they trusted him because he was one of their own people.

On a happier note I've put some of OH's summer shirts through a quick wash just to freshen them up after being packed away for several months, and they are now swaying gently on the line.

ETA I've just found the news about the Fort Mac fire in the "US and Canada" part of the BBC News website. It's so bad that I really don't know what to say. All those poor people with no homes to go back to :(
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mila - such a shockingly dreadful thing to happen to children. We were in NM and the Navajo territories some years ago - such a stunning area.
    Wondercollie - can't begin to imagine how frightening it must be for your neighbourhoods.
    Hugs to you both
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    We are about four hours from Fort Mac. There's been years when the fires have been so bad that with wind changes, the smoke has reached us. My oldest son is on standby to go to the fires. A friend at work has a brother who is a fireman up there, so far he is safe but tired.

These fires are so large it is ver hard to comprehend. It's also been too hot, too soon after a very dry winter. That's a huge part of the problem.

The people are safe but many appear to have left pets behind, how you can forget a pet I don't know. The shelters are taking animals and providing kennels. People with acreages have also offered to take animals.

We are all hoping for rain in that region
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport