Vinyl wrapped kitchen doors 'bubbling' ??

Comments

• jooboo
    jooboo Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    I have worked for the same company for 27 years and we have been fitting vinyl wrapped doors for many years. The doors are made using mdf cut to the desired shape, glue is applied and the vinyl is pressed and heat from a hot oven shrinks it onto the doors.

Years ago the glue was strong enough to keep the vinyl stuck to the door for many years to come. However, these glues were harmful and substituted quite rightly, with more environmentally friendly glues.
    We now know the substitute glue was not as strong resulting in the doors peeling. Unfortunately, we can't see into the future so no one knew this problem would arise.

We were not aware the glue had changed but are finding problems started from doors fitted around 2008 onwards. Trading standards say they have to be guaranteed for 5 years which we honour and offer doors at a cost price after this for a couple more years. Our main manufacturer (who we no longer deal with as we are in dispute with them) only offer a years guarantee. As you can imagine this is a very costly exercise for us, especially when we use the vinyl in the construction of our kitchen so the colour is the same all round. It ends up almost a new kitchen, having to remove and re fit appliances etc.

I wish watchdog or someone would warn people against the product until it is proven that the glues are good enough. Please note: This can happen to a cheap kitchen and a more expensive kitchen; glue doesn't discriminate! Our customers have always had the choice of paying more for wood or painted. Vinyl was not seen as being a cheaper product, less expensive than wood yes, but it offered more choice in colour and style. In bedrooms the problem arises when customers want shaped woodgrain doors as there are no alternatives that I know of. We now supply Egger and Kronospan MFC finishes so we can produce doors ourselves.

I hope this is helpful.
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jooboo - its undeniable though that a shaker style door in matt vinyl or wood effect vinyl was sold as a cheaper substitute to a painted MDF or solid wood door. Likewise a gloss vinyl was a cheaper alternative to a high gloss lacquer. So saying that it was never offered as a cheaper alternative isnt not quite true is it?

We have never sold vinyl wraps. We took an early decision to stay away. A sheet of plastic shrink-wrapped around some MDF as something to put in close proximity of heat and humidity was like saying smoking at a petrol station is fine. And I know lots of retailers are paying the price. Unfortunately I have heard stories such as the one you describe right across the length and breadth of the country.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    ryder72 wrote: »
    jooboo - its undeniable though that a shaker style door in matt vinyl or wood effect vinyl was sold as a cheaper substitute to a painted MDF or solid wood door. Likewise a gloss vinyl was a cheaper alternative to a high gloss lacquer. So saying that it was never offered as a cheaper alternative isnt not quite true is it?

We have never sold vinyl wraps. We took an early decision to stay away. A sheet of plastic shrink-wrapped around some MDF as something to put in close proximity of heat and humidity was like saying smoking at a petrol station is fine. And I know lots of retailers are paying the price. Unfortunately I have heard stories such as the one you describe right across the length and breadth of the country.

I am fully behind ryder72 here.

Equally I am staggered that jooboo has out their head above the parapet on this issue. This shows extreme ignorance of the realities of life. Forget kitchen unit drawer and door fronts for a moment and consider something dirt cheap and a fundamental bulk product in the construction industry. This product is mdf. When it was introduced into the house building industry in the 1980s it was a disaster. The first use was for window cill boards where it was rapidly outlawed because it could not withstand moisture and condensation. The manufacturers persisted and introduced skirtings and architraves. Any home owner with experience of the floods in recent Somerset, Gloucester in 2007 and countless other instances knows these products are a potential disaster.

For jooboo to not recognise this in their post beggars belief!
  • jooboo
    jooboo Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Actually I agree with you both, but when we started selling vinyl doors years ago it was because of the product choice that was offered - style, colour and size. The cost is a factor because it was cheaper but cost wasn't always the reason it was selling. We still have many customers who return for furniture in other rooms in their home who are still very happy, most of them pre 2008.

I have always given customers the choice and explained the pros and cons. Now we lose jobs because the kitchen/bedroom studio up the road will sell vinyl with no warning, when we won't. As I said, I wish watchdog or someone would get involved to make consumers aware.
  • Jmp303
    Jmp303 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Have just removed bubbled vinyl. Is there any way to get them rewrapped with vinyl
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fablon , on a roll , think retro 60s kitchens
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • I've been looking all over for a thread like this! I can't find any evidence of anyone else experiencing what we have. A few months ago, the cupboard door on over the boiler in the kitchen exploded. We thought at the time, it was either due to the heat, or the shoddy way in which the builder employed by our landlady had installed it (it didn't fit, so he cut it down, and attached another piece to it using one small metal brace, which put a terrible strain on the hinge and the handle whenever it was opened). On Saturday while my husband was sitting at the breakfast bar, the door next to the washing machine just went BANG! There is now a nice Christmas Tree pattern through the centre of the door. I've emailed her this morning, but I don't know what she will do about it. I've suggested she check her guarantee, but ultimately I know it's because she bought cheap, and got her friend to fit it, and he already covered over the water meter, and fitted the wrong pipes under the sink, and the heating is always breaking down, and the list goes on!!! Other than that, the house is lovely, and I love living here lol!!! :rotfl:
  • donmaico
    donmaico Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If Howden's offer a 25 year guarantee on their cabinets and five on their doors then should their vinyl wrap options bubble its worth changing the doors and drawer fronts etc and save money.There is
    company I know called Facelift that does that very thing
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    [QUOTE
    [/QUOTE]

My friends Shaker style, 'Vinyl wrapped' or (Foil wrapped ??) kitchen cabinet doors ( 8 years old) AND wardrobe doors - supplied and fitted at the same time by the same supplier- are starting to 'bubble'.

DSid you expect anything different?, the man on the clapham omnibus wouldn't have
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Whew! Glad I just found this thread.

I felt suspicious that a kitchen firm was quoting me "vinyl Shaker doors" on units and googling brought this thread up.

Seems I'm right to be suspicious.

How many kitchen firms out there are using these doors now?

Am I right in thinking that when I say "wood Shaker kitchen doors" that that is exactly what I should expect to get? (ie no mdf/no vinyl/etc)? Am I right in thinking that kitchen unit doors need to be solid wood - and, if so, are such doors made in the more "standard price ranges" (eg Magnet for instance)?

My new kitchen is due to last me out - ie an anticipated 20 years - and I don't expect to have to do anything to it in that time (other than repaint the kitchen walls if I wish to).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback