I need a comfortable bed! Where to start?!

My bed must be 15 to 20 years old now, and I really need a new one. But I don't know where to start. I don't drive, so travelling to shops is difficult.

I don't care about aesthetics. I just want a simple (but very comfortable) bed. Just a base (drawers would be useful) and mattress. No fancy wooden panels, or bed-knobs or broomsticks.

I don't mind spending the money on something that's good quality, super-comfortable and/or will last a long time. But I don't want to spend crazy money.

Would heading for the nearest DFS and lying on some brand-name beds be a bad place to start?

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've taken a punt on a bed from JohnRyanByDesign.co.uk. Awaiting delivery at the moment so can't speak for whether its worth the money. However they have a lot of information on the site to help you make an informed choice (be it with them or someone else).
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘I wanna’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    What one person finds comfortable, another person may not. So I do think that it's worth going to a shop just to see what sort of mattress you think suits you personally. However, it's not essential. I bought my mattress without laying on any.

If you don't want to head out to the shops, I can give you some guidance if you answer these questions:
    Do you weigh over 10st? Do you weigh over 15st?
    Do you sleep on your front, back or side?
    What do you like about your curent mattress?
    What do you dislike about it - and what sleeping issues (if any) do you have? (e.g. wake up with sore neck/always too hot at night/partner rolls into me/etc)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Depends where you are in the country.
    Bought our last mattress from here.
    Expensive but an excellent mattress.
    http://www.beeversandco.uk/beevers-beds-category
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks all! :-)
    What one person finds comfortable, another person may not. So I do think that it's worth going to a shop just to see what sort of mattress you think suits you personally. However, it's not essential. I bought my mattress without laying on any.

Yeah -- I definitely want to try out the mattress in a shop before I buy. I want to do a Goldilocks and find the bed that's "just right" for me. :-)
    If you don't want to head out to the shops, I can give you some guidance if you answer these questions:
    Do you weigh over 10st? Do you weigh over 15st?
    Do you sleep on your front, back or side?
    What do you like about your curent mattress?
    What do you dislike about it - and what sleeping issues (if any) do you have? (e.g. wake up with sore neck/always too hot at night/partner rolls into me/etc)

I weigh about 70kg / 11stone.
    I mostly sleep on my front and sides. But I often fall asleep on my back.

The only problem I have with my current mattress is that it is old, so the springs (especially in the middle) have sunk. It's also a bit too firm for me, and I wake up every 5 minutes when I'm sleeping on my side as my hips start to go numb because of the hardness!

I've put a summer duvet on the mattress with a fleece mattress protector, and there's a slight improvement, but it's still uncomfortable.

I'm really just looking for a normal-sized double bed (it's just me sleeping on it, so that'll be big enough).

I would just buy a new mattress, but the base has springs in it too. All my previous beds had a hard base. Is it worth getting one with a hard base again, so I can just buy a new mattress instead of a whole bed when I need to replace it?
    Depends where you are in the country.

Alas, I'm down in Surrey -- near(ish) to the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire border.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've always thought my bed was comfy, and couldn't understand why I've been sleeping so poorly lately.

I have just spent one night in hospital and was fortunate enough to have an electric, adjustable bed. Oh, my goodness. The best night's sleep I've had in years! Everything was adjustable - fantastic. I slept soundly - unbelievably comfortable. I am now on the hunt for a really good one that I can afford, and I can recommend you try one if you haven't considered it.

They do come in a variety of sizes: single, double, split double, king.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    esuhl wrote: »
    Yeah -- I definitely want to try out the mattress in a shop before I buy. I want to do a Goldilocks and find the bed that's "just right" for me. :-)
    Alas, I'm down in Surrey -- near(ish) to the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire border.

If Purley is not too far, try this guy.
    http://www.surreybeds.co.uk/
    Knows his stuff and has plenty of stuff to try.
  • esuhl wrote: »
    My bed must be 15 to 20 years old now, and I really need a new one. But I don't know where to start. I don't drive, so travelling to shops is difficult.

I don't care about aesthetics. I just want a simple (but very comfortable) bed. Just a base (drawers would be useful) and mattress. No fancy wooden panels, or bed-knobs or broomsticks.

I don't mind spending the money on something that's good quality, super-comfortable and/or will last a long time. But I don't want to spend crazy money.

Would heading for the nearest DFS and lying on some brand-name beds be a bad place to start?

So 2 years ago we were hunting for a new bed and after trying a few out in the shops (Do not buy without trying) we lay on a tempur mattress in a local department store and although it was expensive it's without doubt the best bed we have ever had (we have had normally sprung and expensive pocket sprung beds in the past). There is no "roll together" and if one of us gets up in the night we don't disturb each other as there is no effect on the other person as you get out or back in to bed.
    If the Tempur mattress is too expensive then I would suggest looking at other memory foam type mattresses as we also have one of these in a spare room and that is also very comfortable.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Thanks for answering my questions, I'd recommend you get a medium (comfort rating) mattress that is pocket sprung to suit your needs. A spring count of over 1000 if you can. Probably stay away from built in memory foam etc (you can always buy a separate topper if you want later) for longevity.

What's your budget?

You can get something that ticks all the boxes (4 drawer divan with medium pocket sprung mattress) that's cheap and cheerful for about £400, it may not last as long as your previous one but you can afford to replace it sooner anyway. Or you'll find branded, better quality ones for £800 or so which will be better made, use more expensive materials and have a higher spring count. I'd recommend this option as being the best one. But if you have more to spend, at around £1000 you can get something that is very well made using the best materials and should last the longest. However, I personally don't see the need to "invest" in a bed if you have other financial priorities.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    id reccomend you do whatever it takes to travel to some big bed stores and try before you buy

what one persons loves another will hate and lets face it you have to spend alot of time on it so might as well choose carefully
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure