Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• Anyone switched to ee lately, and how was it? I've ditched Plusnet due to the price hike and am considering ee (very cheap but possibly rubbish) or Virgin (comparable price to Plusnet, but four times faster, but 18 month contract). Thanks.
  • I am waiting to be connected by EE (fibre optic b/b, line rental and weekend calls), heard nothing since I signed up a week ago so it is making me very nervous!
  • Well I was leaning towards Virgin, but MSE have just announced another "blagged" deal coming Friday with Sky basic broadband. It looks even cheaper than the ee deal: when you factor in the M&S vouchers it's effectively free. Looks like Virgin will have to wait a year, and hopefully bring their prices down? :rotfl:
  • doveman
    doveman Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm considering moving to Pop, TalkTalk or Sky (want something without traffic shaping) but does anyone know if 18185 works with them?

If not and I have to use their freephone number 0808 1 703 703, will that attract a 16p connection charge (plus the 18185 5p connection charge), as currently with BT they don't add any connection charge when I use 18185?
  • oldharryrocks
    oldharryrocks Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2014 at 12:51PM
    doveman wrote: »
    I'm considering moving to Pop, TalkTalk or Sky (want something without traffic shaping) but does anyone know if 18185 works with them?

If not and I have to use their freephone number 0808 1 703 703, will that attract a 16p connection charge (plus the 18185 5p connection charge), as currently with BT they don't add any connection charge when I use 18185?

If its a freephone 0800/0808/0500 number its free to call from a landline and does not attract a connection charge. The only connection charge you pay is 5p to 18185.

It does not work with Talk Talk who have blocked indirect access, and Sky blocked it a fair while ago http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2010/06/sky-blocks-customers-cheap-calls-option-

BT are no longer required to allow indirect access anymore so it could end in the future.
  • Can you tell me me if you have to already have a Sky TV bundle or if you need to buy it at the same time as you sign up for phone and broadband? Can you just get the broadband offer without having Sky Tv? Thanks
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    Hi,

Could anyone help me out please. I am coming to the end of my 12 month contract with TalkTalk on the 22nd September and was hoping to take advantage of the upcoming Sky Broadband and phone deal but I will still be in contract with TalkTalk at the time I need to sign up to Sky.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to sign up to Sky but make the switch over date after the 22nd September by which time I would be out of contract?

Many thanks for any help or advice and I appreciate that the deal isn't public yet but thought some people may have tried similar with other offers in the past.

Thanks.
  • doveman
    If its a freephone 0800/0808/0500 number its free to call from a landline and does not attract a connection charge. The only connection charge you pay is 5p to 18185.

It does not work with Talk Talk who have blocked indirect access, and Sky blocked it a fair while ago http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2010/06/sky-blocks-customers-cheap-calls-option-

BT are no longer required to allow indirect access anymore so it could end in the future.

Reading that link it seems that I can still use the 0808 number with Talk Talk and Sky, albeit it costs 1p/min +5p connection charge, rather than 0p/min when dialling 18185 but that's still a lot cheaper than their normal per minute and 16p connection charge, so I'm happy enough if I can do that.
  • doveman
    Topcashback seems to be offering £94.50 cashback along with £100 M&S vouchers from Sky, which is slightly better than £185 M&S vouchers, although I guess we might be able to get the cashback and £185 vouchers when the deal goes live.

However, the TCB terms say you can't get cashback if you live in a block of flats, which excludes me :(
  • doveman
    EE have £80 cashback with Quidco and £136.50 with TCB but it seems we can't get that and the £100 Amazon voucher, as we need to use the special link to get the latter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback