descaling coffee machine

Options

Comments

• purpleheather2810
    Options
    I was wondering about using white vinegar in my Tassimo. I think I'll water it down and see how it goes...
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Spam reported!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Spam reported!
    There is always one gobs***e on every thread.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I use Oust liquid de-scaler, have done for ages. Works fine.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Do they do Eccellente SPAM as well?
  • Yup, another newbie bringing up an old thread...
    I have a dolce gusto machine that has just 'highlighted' to me via the on/off/ready button, that a descale is now necessary. Is this a built in (programmed) function to make you purchase their (Nescaf!) cleaning products?
    The reason I ask this, is because I live in the Highlands and have no limescale issues with any other appliance. In fact I am using a 3 year old kettle and the element looks as good as the day it was plugged in.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's because they work it on the average water hardness, so the descale light comes on at a set number of uses based on that.

I descale our machine whenever I change the filter as we live in a hard water area (our kettle needs a thorough cleaning every 3-6 months).

If you're in a soft water area you can probably ignore it.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Agree with what Nilrem says.

I have a Delonghi machine and although so far (just under 3 months), not had the descaling warning light, am sure it will happen at some point soon. Instructions that after a period of time, or so many coffees, it will be time to descale and a warning light will flash.

I'm now in a very hard water area, so only use bottled water for water cooler, kettle and coffee machine. Even so, it's still not as soft as the water in Scotland, as I still need to descale the kettle every so often, as I can see it whiten up, so reminds me to do the water cooler too!

If you still have warning light, despite you having lovely soft water, I'd suggest trying to run through the descaling programme as per your machine instructions, using only water, and see if that sorts out the problem. If it doesn't, your choice whether to go by the manufacturers recommended descaler or choose something else.

I use citric acid, either in granular or powder form (food grade) to descale kitchen appliances. It's available in all the supermarkets here, but not sure about in the UK, but you can definitely buy it on Amazon. I will be using that in my coffee machine when descaling is required, rather than the expensive manufacture alternative.

Most common ingredients for descaling coffee machines is either citric or lactic acids.

Have heard of people using vinegar, but apparently that's a bit harsher than citric acid, and may destroy the innards of a coffee machine, especially if it has aluminium parts.
  • gmludlow
    Options
    Trust the 'oldies' to be patronising
  • DumpTrump2020
    Options
    With age comes wisdom. :T I am glad this helpful thread is still here to provide me a clear answer for a home solution on how to descale my Bosch TASSIMO coffee machine. Since my TASSIMO machine is already out of warranty, I will clean and descale it with a white vinegar or citric acid solution.
    Sometimes the most useful things on the Internet are things that have been around a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure