Extra back up advice please.

So we use a six year old Macbook and back up on an external hard drive with Time machine. I have deleted lots of pics and stuff that was on the Macbook so they now only exist on the external hard drive.
I feel I should now back these up on something else but icloud is not available on 10.6.3 and when I tried to update to 10.7 which is required for icloud I had operating problems so went back.
What would be best, another hard drive or memory stick or???

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Another cloud provider - eg Dropbox - also means you can share with others, if you like, and access files anywhere there is an internet connection, but you are limited unless you pay to have more storage , so if you have gigabytes of stuff, a second hard drive would be my choice. Memory stick(s) would be ok but generally cost per per Gb than hard drives
  • USM
    USM Posts: 317 Forumite
    I use crashplan - $5.99 per month for unlimited storage and I don't give it a single thought it just happily backs up in the background.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    You can store pictures on any USB hard drive and they're certainly cheap enough and use Dropbox and other free cloud services.

It's what I do.

I have a 1TB Time Capsule to backup my Mac, I also have a network drive with 3TB of storage that has another copy of my important stuff as well as Dropbox and just for good measure I have photos etc. on DVD.

Any one of the above might fail but I should still have copies of the important stuff.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Later versions of Time Machine allow you to back up to multiple drives: just plug one in, back up, plug another one in, back up, done.

It's a shame you had "operating problems" with more recent releases of OSX. What were they?
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2014 at 5:24PM
    Thanks all, my problems with Lion were everything freezing and had to reboot from the original discs, so I upgraded to Snow Leopard and everything is now fine, may try again after backing up.
  • Mr_Toad
    Thanks all, my problems with Lion were everything freezing and had to reboot from the original discs, so I upgraded to Snow Leopard and everything is now fine, may try again after backing up.

I think you mean downgraded, Snow Leopard is older than Lion.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    OP, there are other (some might say better) internet storage providers out there, you might try dropbox, copy.com, google drive, sugarsync, one drive (Microsoft), spider oak, several others. They all offer free tiers of pricing, copy.com probably offers the most space for free (especially if you PM me/find someone for an affiliate link you get 20GB free instead of 15)
  • knightstyle
    Mr_Toad no, I upgraded to Snow leopard, 10.6.8 AFTER rebooting from the original discs 10.5
    Thanks paddyrg may be in touch after half term.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad no, I upgraded to Snow leopard, 10.6.8 AFTER rebooting from the original discs 10.5
    Thanks paddyrg may be in touch after half term.

I wish I could get any version of OS X on to my MacBook Pro.

Yosemite went on to the iMac OK but wouldn't work on the MacBook. I have no idea what it did but I then tried to install Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion and and the original Snow Leopard DVD. Even after a reformat of the HDD they all tell me OS X cannot be installed as if there's some sort of hardware fault. :mad:

I then installed a cover DVD from Linux Developer magazine and installed Ubuntu without any drama whatsoever. :cool:

It seems I'm not the only one having problems so Ubuntu will remain until Apple sort out a fix. :(
  • knightstyle
    Well, as I said my Macbook is the basic 13inch job from 6 years ago and I am very happy with it on Snow Leopard, battery still has over 2 hours and my old, free copy of Photoshop CS2 works well so may not risk having another go at upgrading just to use iCloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure