Slow Laptop

Comments

• Hello,

If it hasn't been sorted already by the basics CC Cleaner is a free downloadable bit of software that makes my old laptop much faster :)
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Firefox re-set and CCleaner ran but Internet still very slow.
  • Cotta
    Any more takers?
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just the internet is slow? Try speedtest.com and see if the numbers corroborate with your service.

Have you got another laptop/computer nearby which you can try to determine if its laptop or the ISP.
  • Cotta
    maas wrote: »
    Just the internet is slow? Try speedtest.com and see if the numbers corroborate with your service.

Have you got another laptop/computer nearby which you can try to determine if its laptop or the ISP.

I've used a separate laptop which is much faster, only my own is extremely slow.

I've also noticed that some Excel documents don't open and when I attempt to it always says "Excel is not working," and it takes between two or three attempts to open it.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    use Task Manager to see what is running. If you can, take screen prints and post here.

Use CCleaner to see what is running at startup. CCleaner - Tools - Startup
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Run AdwCleaner and later Junkware Removal Tool. Go through each Tab and select to remove all that is found.

You can use CCleaner to disable Startup items. Install CCleaner then choose to Run Cleaner. Once complete. Go to the Tools section of the CCleaner interface. Tools > Startup. Then click on the first entry on the list and then press and hold CTRL. Whilst holding it down press the A key. All the entries should now be selected. Now click on the Disable button to the right. It should change all of the Yes entries to No. Now re-boot.

If still slow you should think about making a note of your Product Keys then to back up your important data to an external source and to run a Factory Restore.
  • Cotta
    elektra wrote: »
    use Task Manager to see what is running. If you can, take screen prints and post here.

Use CCleaner to see what is running at startup. CCleaner - Tools - Startup
    How can I post a printscreen on here?
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    from another thread
    maas wrote: »
    To link a screenshot, you'll need to save it to your computer first. Then use a free hosting website like http://postimage.org/ to upload the picture to.

Once you have uploaded it, the website will give you a link to the picture which you can post here.
  • Cotta
    I'll just update everyone as to what I've done thus far but to no avail:

1. Ran AVG anti-virus software and removed all viruses found.
    2. Updated Spyboy S&D (I assume updates relate to Global and Europe) and removed all threats found.
    3. Ran Malwarebytes AntiMalware trial version and removed threats found.
    4. Ran CCleaner.
    5. Re-set the Firefox browser.

The laptop is still running extremely poorly, Facebook pages take an age to load and Youtube clips frequently stall for minutes at a time. I'm not on my laptop for the next few days so I'm wondering what the next best course of action is.

On top of the above problems, spreadsheets are now failing to load without error messages appearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure