Leaking roof - should I contact my insurance company?

nobile
nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our Home Insurance guide may help.

Back to the original post...

Hi

We've have some horrific weather (like many others) and for the 1st time, weve had a leeak.

We saw staining on the ceiling (upstairs landing) - area getting larger

I got into the loft - its very tricky access wise, but there are many damp spots on the loft insulation and along beams etc

I cant see that part of the roof from outside unfortunately but it seems obvious that water has been forced through somehow (torrential rain & gale force winds) - we have tiles (not slates) on the roof.

Lived there for 10 years with no problems - clearly cause by the recent weather.

Can I ring my insurance company - never needed to call them out before so really unsure what to say et

Many thanks

Comments

• nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    Any body out there....
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    yes you can ring your insurance company, it's not quite the same as car insurance where every little thing is logged against you.
    In saying that though it could be caused by exceptionally bad weather and might not re-occur but if you can't find point of entry I wouldn't risk it
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Will house insurance fix a roof? If so, why would anyone ever pay to fix/maintain them? I thought stuff like that was maintenance and not covered by insurance?

It may well be condensation, and not a leak. The many damp spots sound like it to me and there's been lots of people having similar problems.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It depends on the situation and your level of cover. I put a drill through a pipe and had water pouring out, so they sent an emergency plumber who put the water off and made a temporary repair. I then had to get a plumber to make a permanent fix, although I did it myself.
    I imagine it will be similar with the roof.
    My main point was that you can ring them to ask, that it's not the same as a car insurance call that logs anything you say and counts it against you.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Insurance typically covers the loss as a result of a leak, not the actual leak itself. So if a tile has become loose due to winds, then you would be responsible for getting that fixed. The insurance co would then pay for the damaged to the inside of the property. However, if the damage to the roof is severe eg caused by a storm, then they normally pay for this to be replaced.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    insurance does not cover wear and tear.
    one of the basic rules of insurance is that you keep the property in a good state of repair.
    (just the same as your car).
    if a storm blows your roof off you are covered.
    if your roof just leaks then no you are not covered.
    Get some gorm.
  • andy.m_2
    andy.m_2 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    We have had an almost identical situation recently.
    There was a pretty heavy storm and the coping tile to the chimney dislodged and water came in.
    We found it when it was dripping onto the carpet.

We are not covered for the hole, that's wear and tear.
    But we are covered for the damage to the plaster, decorations and carpet below.

Our loss adjuster said that we could get a cash settlement for the decorations etc and use the money to fix the roof, but that they would do the internal repairs until the roof was fixed (obviously, otherwise it would go again).
    Crazy thing though, we haven't had ingress of water since even with heavy rain, so it must be when it drives in from a certain .
    Luckily I filmed the water coming in on my phone and there is evidence in the loft of water to show the assessor.

Good luck whatever happens and don't be too down about it, houses are not airtight and waterproof so a little water (as long as you get it fixed in reasonable time) is not the end of the world. :)
    Sealed pot challange no: 339
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why have you responded to a post that is a year old? I guess thay have had it fixed now.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • wayne77
    wayne77 Posts: 406 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2011 at 5:20PM
    OK, this recent stormy weather has blown out lumps of the cement under the roof tiles at the side of our semi detached. Can I use Home Insurance to get this repaired?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would suggest it depend on which insurer, some are more sympathetic / generous than others.

I called my insurers when the flashing round the boiler vent pipe sprung a leak this winter. They approved the cost of repairs and consequential damage without even coming to see the damage.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport