PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ceramic sink: tips and cleaning please

Hi All

I've just had new worktops and a beautiful white ceramic sink fitted. Any tips (from experience) on what I should use to keep it clean please?

I've heard of a product called Bon Ami, anyone used it or recommend it/alternative?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    While you're waiting for replies to come in, browsing these threads will give you a head start :)

Sink:
    - Blocked seriously
    - Scum around sink
    - Shiny Sink
    - Smelly plug hole
    - Stainless Steel Sink
    - Stainless steel sink completely discoloured
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We put one in our last house. To be honest I would not choose to have one again. It was so easily marked. Baking trays and pans in particular. But Cif is fine to use, no scratches.
  • I have a pot sink and it shines up beautifully with Ajax - If you get any metallic marks on it from Baking Trays etc then a quick rub over with Borax gets them off.

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Citric acid - pour some in the bottom of the sink fill with warm water and leave. Works in kettles too
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've a ceramic sink as well - I used the now infamous Stardrops on it. In my experience it has been very easy to keep clean and shiny - to date no marks have been so stubborn they have been impossible to remove.

If you do get a stain of some sort a rub with the cut side of a lemon seems to remove just about anything.
  • I use stardrops daily and bleach weekly ;)
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • jamjar,
    jamjar, Posts: 221 Forumite
    Since I have been using Stardrops, my white ceramic sink has started getting brown stains. I don't often wash up in this sink as I have a dishwasher, and it doesn't get tea or coffee poured in. I have a septic tank, so need to use something gentle. Does anyone please have any ideas about how to get it gleaming white?
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes! I use BarKeepers Friend. It's a white powder, very gentle, and excellent on my ceramic sink. You can get it in John Lewis, Waitrose, Sainsburys, Lakeland and I would expect you can get it in Asda and Tesco.

It comes in a vaguely conical shapes bottle, 7 inches high.

Heres a link to the product page at Lakeland so you know what to look for
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!8868
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Try rubbing over with the flesh of a lemon, let lots of juice get over it, then leave it for an hour or so and rinse off. Cheap as chips!
  • jamjar,
    jamjar, Posts: 221 Forumite
    Thankyou. I will try the lemon while I wait to get the Barkeepers friend.
    No thanks button today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport