Lifetime ISA

I have some money that I got left by a grandparent. It's £20,000. I currently rent from a housing association and am eligible for the right to buy scheme on my house. So, if I put £4,000 per year into the LISA, by the end, I should have £25,000 plus interest for a deposit. I'm doing a degree now so plan to get a mortgage in five years. So I have two questions.

1. Can I use the money from a LISA on a right to buy scheme?
2. Where should I put money that I want to save from my wages? I will take up the whole £4,000 per year limit on the LISA with my savings. I plan to save £50 per month for now. I want to put it somewhere that will earn me the most interest. I currently have it in a normal ISA with Barclays where the interest is 0.6%.

Comments

• Tesco current account seems to be the popular suggestion at the moment for smallish sums, 3% last time I checked
  • Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Applications for the Tesco accounts are frozen... 2nd best option is bank of scotland vantage account..
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The most interest would be the 5% available in Nationwide Flexdirect current account. Requires £1000 to be paid in each month, but you can withdraw it as needed. No direct debits required. Only lasts a year, but on current terms you can close/downgrade the account then, and get 5% again on re-opening after a further year.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family