MoneySaving Poll: Who pays on a first date?

Poll started 31 January 2017

Who pays on a first date?

With Valentine’s Day coming up, we wanted to see how 21st century FIRST-DATE etiquette works, so which of these is closest to your usual situation?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• tomhill
    tomhill Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Gays almost always go Dutch (and thank god too, or I'd be broke! :) )
  • dw1
    dw1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Surprised by the number of men who say they 'prefer' to pay the whole bill. I always offer, but nearly always the lady offers to split it, and I don't push it if she's willing.

On the rare occasions where she doesn't offer to split it, or pay next time, there often isn't a second date - I prefer someone who's more independent and stands up for herself.
  • You need another option in the poll:

Whoever earns the most money - unfortunately, it's usually the male. If they both earn the same, then whoever issued the invitation. If it was a mutual decision and they both earn the same - split the cost.

Having said that - if you are trying to impress someone on your first date, most people are impressed by generosity.
  • tomhill wrote: »
    Gays almost always go Dutch (and thank god too, or I'd be broke! :) )

This. Adding sexuality to the poll would have shown even more differences.

I think with straight guys (and certainly amongst straight women where we've had this conversation) there's an expectation still that guys pay on the first date, although if the girl offers to split, it's then acceptable for the guy to agree to that.

In the gay world, with males at least (can't speak for the lesbians), splitting the bill is pretty standard practice, unless a 2nd date feels guaranteed by both parties, then one guy may pay for the first date, then the other guy pays on the 2nd.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a bad poll to be honest, there are potentially several answers for each person, like your asking multiple questions at once. Need to be more specific.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    These are the closest options but neither is correct:
    * I usually offer to pay, but really want them to pay the whole bill
    * I usually try to split the bill somehow (incl one pays for food, one for drinks)

Reality is I offer to pay, but always end up going halves
  • Why isn't there an option for literally splitting the bill down the middle? That's what I would always do with anyone - why should it make a difference if it's a date?
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 February 2017 at 6:53PM
    why should it make a difference if it's a date?
    Its unromantic and inconsiderate.

On a first date, the asker should pay. I can't imagine asking someone to be my guest and making them pay!!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure