The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Comments

• Hello,
    Never realised this thread existed! I hope I am not too late! Can I please be put down for £12k?
    Thanks everyone and good luck :)
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, please add me for £1500. It does not sound a lot but I'm a low earner.
    I hope to smash my own goal.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Right everyone! Other than your personal target, the overall number is to beat is last year's total amount saved: £1,972,832.69. Do your best!!

I think that was the total we were aiming for - we achieved 63%, or 1.243m according to the latest spreadsheet, updated today

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think that was the total we were aiming for - we achieved 63%, or 1.243m according to the latest spreadsheet, updated today

SL

opps. Looks like it! Target >1.2 mil then!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • darkidoe wrote: »
    Target >1.2 mil then!

Wow, what an incredible target to be part of :)

I am finding January a bit difficult, with my Christmas expenditure hangover and it being a long month, so I am digging down the back of my metaphorical sofa and finding all of the change I can; I'm pulling in my Topcashback payouts, I got a refund on an old Oyster card and paid in a cheque that had been hanging around. I won't make a massive dent in my target this month, but all this 'scrabbling around for change' is keeping me focused :j My big month will be June, when I will (hopefully!) get my bonus.

Good luck everybody.

GC x
    Proud to be debt-free 30/6/2020

• black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ive been naughty,slight overdraft jan(paid off by feb)

all my bills,expenses,this time of year

fund manager invest £834 today

all the best 2017 everyone
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • mattdeeks
    mattdeeks Posts: 11 Forumite
    Please sign me up for £15,000, same as last year.
    Competition Wins

2015-Apple iPad Air in December
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow, what an incredible target to be part of :)

I am finding January a bit difficult, with my Christmas expenditure hangover and it being a long month, so I am digging down the back of my metaphorical sofa and finding all of the change I can; I'm pulling in my Topcashback payouts, I got a refund on an old Oyster card and paid in a cheque that had been hanging around. I won't make a massive dent in my target this month, but all this 'scrabbling around for change' is keeping me focused :j My big month will be June, when I will (hopefully!) get my bonus.

Good luck everybody.

GC x

Same. I have 600++ balance on my CC that needs to be cleared off next month and probably more extra expenses to come up in the next few months.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm expecting a similarly slow start to 2017 as per 2016. The expenses for Christmas and my wife"s birthday and on my credit card (paid off in full each month, obviously) as is the expense from spending new year in Oslo. I've also just paid for my next three months of Spanish lessons and just forked out £300 for broadband...but that covers the next two years Internet and line rental so is one less thing to worry about paying next year!

The usual annual expenses will be paid during the year: home insurance and car insurance (standard) plus hopefully a holiday, everything else is monthly and budgeted for that way.

Some complications expected along the way: redecorating the living room and spare bedroom, remortgage coming up in August, keep getting badgered about getting a new sofa.

My credit card bill will be £3k by the time the billing cycle comes around so I'll have some making up to do, which I have no doubt I will manage if the camaraderie of this thread continues in the same vein as last year.

If it wasn't for you guys I'd never have made it - even if half of what I saved did go on a new kitchen (after complications). I do love it though.

Savings to be made in 2017: dry January (this is a real saving; I can have three bitter lemons for the price of a pint), homebrew already brewing away for consumption in February and beyond, fewer holidays (I said this last year, this year it will happen), no major capital expenditure other than the decorating- which is considerably cheaper than a new kitchen.

Regular savers already set up with First Direct and Nationwide; I'll need a home for my maturing TSB one but don't want to mucky my credit rating ahead of our remortgage so might need to languish with some poor paying savings account products before applying for higher interest current accounts after we switch.

I feel all ready to go and I haven't had my first payslip yet. Let the saving commence! :j:j:j
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • RichyRich wrote: »
    don't want to mucky my credit rating ahead of our remortgage so might need to languish with some poor paying savings account products before applying for higher interest current accounts after we switch.

I feel all ready to go and I haven't had my first payslip yet. Let the saving commence! :j:j:j

Hi RR, if you aren't remortgaging until.August I would have expected your cr to be fine, especially as it could be just a current account and if you don't have an od on it? You could probably make other even more certain by switching the tsb to say the new hsbcompany which gives a high cashback rather than interest, depending on what your interest payout would be? However I guess it depends on your current cr circumstances also :)

Happy saving :)
    #70 12k in 2017:2408.28/12000
    #3 Sealed Pot Challenge 2017: £116.28[/???]
    #12 How much will you spend in 2017 challenge: £7669.53@end Feb
    MFW: January 2017: £118,195
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts