MoneySaving Poll: Do tear-jerker Christmas ads change where you shop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Flydrive
    Options
    People spend more money in their stores because its CHRISTMAS not because of the adds which often give no clue as to the store or products until a quick 'name check' at the end! At least JL's advert is better this year than the creepy old man spying on a little girl in her bedroom!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For a start, Mr LW and I stopped doing gifts altogether - Yule, birthdays, or anything else - when he was out of work, back in 2002; and we have carefully never re-started the practise.

Secondly, we don't watch a lot of tv in any case, and the few programmes we do bother with we record on the $ky box, so that we can a) watch them at a time of our choosing, and b) fast-forward through all the ads - so I never actually see the ads in question.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Devons_best
    Options
    If i'm christmas shopping in town i do the rounds in the shops for inspiration - nothing to do with tv ads.

90% of the time i shop online so its down to price/availability/delivery costs - the only time i would ever be influenced by an ad is if it showed a product i was after at a substantially lower price than what i have found - but internet generally is pretty reliable for searching around.

I rarely get time to watch live tv and so. like others have said, fast-forward through the ads.
    Mortgage Free Wannabee

December 2019 £63,712
    December 2021 £42,433
    August 2022 £34,747
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The link is taking me to the "Pick-up a penny" poll.

And no, the ads don't change a thing for me.
  • wildthing01
    Options
    I'm not sure this poll is representative of the whole British public though? The money-savvy MSEers are not influenced by the the Xmas ads, but I bet lots of other people are. It costs thousands to make and show those ads on prime time TV, and the companies don't do it without some pretty strong evidence that it impacts on sales...
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    The best was the spoof of the John Lewis ad, when they put the head of Hillary Clinton on the kid, made the parents the Obamas and put Trump's head on the dog.

I am mildly curious to watch them on YouTube at Christmas along with ads from other countries. OH likes to have breaks in between movies.

Do they influence me, know ? I look at John Lewis for white goods first, only because they have always been great. But I wouldn't buy Christmas presents there.

I get vouchers from Marks and Spencer for my mother just because that's what she always asks for. She seems to live on those meals for £10.

I start at Amazon and comparison shop from there.

Good ads are entertainment. I don't buy much if the stuff they flog.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Do tear-jerker Christmas ads, such as the bouncing John Lewis dog, change where you shop?

Nope - I have a set budget and stick to it - I always buy from my intended place :j
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family