Share Dealing Discussion Area

Comments

• cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I really wouldn't take MSE's recommendations regarding anything to do with investing seriously; Martin's great with advice about banks and credit cards but the advice offered wrt investment is not so great. There is far more to consider when choosing a broker than price; integrity is very important and to me HB have exhibited a distinct lack of that particular quality.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I personally would not use HB for the same reasons.. I use Selftrade (Squaregain/Comdirect as was) and have had no problems with them. Halifax sharebuilder is also worth looking at if you wish to drip feed regular amouts and reinvest the dividends.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a sharebuilder with Halifax, they give you a choice of a few days which you can invest per month, does it make any difference which day you choose?

I know shares go up and down numerous times a day but is there any set time per month when it is good to get in there? :confused:

Thanks
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • cheerfulcat
    I have a sharebuilder with Halifax, they give you a choice of a few days which you can invest per month, does it make any difference which day you choose?
    Mondays and Fridays can be quite volatile. Wednesdays are ex-div days. Tuesdays and Thursdays are good :)

But over the long term it all evens out...

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • amoeba
    amoeba Posts: 19 Forumite
    One thing I havent seen covered in the guides - what if I have foreign shares?

I have been issues with some paper shared from my Canadian company, and want to sell. Can I do this with a UK based sharebroker, or do I need to use a Canadian one?
  • cheerfulcat
    Hi, amoeba,

You need a stockbroker who offers an overseas shares service; I'm not sure whether the shares being in certificated form will be a problem. With UK shares it's just a matter of "dematerialising" the shares. You could try TD Waterhouse - I know they do overseas shares, and ISTR that it is a Canadian company. Mybroker ( not my broker, you understand :) ) deals in Canadian shares as well.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • I have a share certificate for IBM 'Capital Stock' shares, I sent the certificate to selftrade to add to my portfolio but they wouldn't accept it as they don't deal with these shares - which is odd as it looks like I could buy IBM shares online with them.

Got a quote of over £125 from Barclays to sell these, anyone know of a cheaper way to do this? I tried TD Waterghouse, but their site doesn't even show IBM in the list when I look at a current quote.

I'm happy with a cheque in USD as I'll open a Dollar account, rather than lose loads more on exchange rates.

TIA
    Shaanbles
  • Hi,

Am a new investor and I have £3000 to spend, I am considering joining Hoodless Brennan online Share dealing service, and investing the majority of the money in Pipex based on recommendations.

I am quite a risky person and when I saw their share price at 10p and predicted EPS of 0.53p, think it may be a good one to go for. Can anyone confirm my thinking or let me know if I am going off on a tangent!

Many thanks!

Mules
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Optimist wrote:
    I personally would not use HB for the same reasons.. I use Selftrade (Squaregain/Comdirect as was) and have had no problems with them. Halifax sharebuilder is also worth looking at if you wish to drip feed regular amouts and reinvest the dividends.

Selftrade customer service is second to none, worth paying the £12.50 per trade imo.
    Plus there is £75 to be made , see more here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=91587
  • I don't know if this is the right place for this query, but here goes.

My dad's brother died recently and his paperwork was a nightmare to sort out and this has made by dad go through all his finances etc to make sure when he croaks everything is straightforward for us daughters.

He has shares in Scottish & Southern and he wants to know;- should he keep the shares and if so, what happens to them when he pops off?
    Should he sell them now and just invest the money for us to share out?
    Should he transfer the shares now to one of us which we can then sell when he kicks it?

Any help would be appreciated. You know what old folks are like. I want to set his mind at rest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback