PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Comments

• I did this for the first time when making a lasagne last week - worked really well and stretched the meat further!! I addd 100g of red lentils to 250g beef mince, just straight in and it cake out fine.
  • OldSchool_3
    OldSchool_3 Posts: 21 Forumite
    I just need to add a couple of handfulls to the mince. Then all set. :D
    :rotfl::rotfl:I said it cause I can:rotfl::rotfl:
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I see people enticing bulkin out mince wih lentils, can I ask do you cook lentils first?

Also someone mentioned today to me using porridge oats to bulk out mince, anyone ever done this ?
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • I just pop red lentils in dry and make sure there's plenty of liquid in the sauce. Haven't ever used porridge oats but I have often whizzed up some carrots in the food processor and added plenty to the sauce, tastes lovely too.
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I boil up red lentils and then mix half and half, makes a yummy cottage pie :) Can you just add them dry then? I thought you had to soak and boil them first :/
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Buy a hand blender and blend some boiled potatoes and onions in gravy to make a smooth base for the mince.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mummyjane wrote: »
    I boil up red lentils and then mix half and half, makes a yummy cottage pie :) Can you just add them dry then? I thought you had to soak and boil them first :/

I tend to simmer my mince-mixture for over 30mins on quite low so it works for me. I buy the split red lentils that are quite find and don't require any pre-soaking anyway :) probably worth checking the packet to make sure you don't get food poisoning!
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    red lentils don't need soaking - I add them raw and a little extra liquid as the absord it as they cook. Lentils are one of the more nutritious ways of bulking as they add protein as well as fibre and count as 1 of 5 a day. I add veg (onions, celery, carrots) anyway for flavour and don't really consider this 'bulking' but I guess it is!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • I have added porridge oats to veggie mince to add bulk and thicken up gravy as DD hates runny gravy of any kind. Also use them in crumble toppings for savoury dishes.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for replies everyone..NOW I WANT COTTAGE PIE lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts