IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Loading bay rules and fines? Advice please

Hi everyone, my first posting.
I am appealing against two PCN's issued by my council (using CCTV). They state that I parked in a loading bay during restricted hours without loading. If I go through with you what I've written, could anyone please advise on whether I need to say anything else, or differently?
1. I was unloading, taking heavy bags of books into the charity shop next to the bay. The manager is happy to write me a supporting letter. I donate books there once or twice a week.
2. The street sign only says 'Loading Bay'. There are no time restrictions on it. Shouldn't there be, if I'm apparently contravening them?
3. The photo image is actually of my car halfway off the bay as I'm leaving it, not of it parked there. If they're offering the image as evidence against me, it should be of my car actually parked there, surely? (There's a lampost in between the bay and the CCTV camera, preventing it being able to take a proper photo).

I'd be very grateful for any comments/advice.

Penny Pound

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    PCN images are often inadequate, ignore them. They will use vid or further stills if they fight.

Who is this? Much is misunderstood about loading exemptions and mostly by --- Councils!
  • Hi Neil, when you ask 'Who is this', do you mean which council?

It's useful to know that they can just come back with other images or recordings; thanks for that info, Neil.
    By the way, since I posted here yesterday, the manager of the charity bookshop has written me a letter of support to accompany my appeal, confirming to the council that I did deliver heavy bags of books to the shop regularly. I'm glad he's done this, as I'll include it as evidence that I was using the bay legitamately.
  • Neil_B
    yes, which Council.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you load/unload CONTINIOUSLY for the time you were parked...........observation time allowed is only 3 minuits..........so many people think they can load for 1 minuit, then stay parked for longer......you cant.
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Loading continuously does NOT mean being at the vehicle continuously despite what many councils say. See the Jane Packer Flowers case on PATAS. "Loading is what loading is" and that involves transfer into the premises, paperwork signed, goods checked by recipient etc. Going off for a coffee or a snack halfway through breaks the continuity but not being at the vehicle for over three (or five or ten etc) minutes in and of its own right means absolutely nothing.
  • roddydogs
    Yes it does because the attendent/Warden has only to observe for 3 mins befor issuing a ticket
    if you cant be seen at the vehicle within 3 mins, dont park-simple.
  • Neil_B
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Yes it does because the attendent/Warden has only to observe for 3 mins befor issuing a ticket

Rubbish.

You are just picking numbers out of the air. You can't back any of that nonsense with legislation or similar.
    -
  • roddydogs
    Please yourself if you want to pay parking tickets
  • Neil_B
    Please yourself if you want to pay parking tickets

I fail to see how that leads to me paying anything?

It's hardly worth it but just to clarify.

You can't back this up Roddy - because it's nonsense. Even the most draconian Council wouldn't agree with you. It makes no sense.

On the basis of what you say the shops would be devoid of goods and the Country grind to a halt! LOL.

There are generally NO time limits on loading as long as that is what you are doing. You seem to fail to understand what constitutes loading. Even where some time limits are written into Traffic Orders for certain locations you are proven wrong since those are normally 20, 30 or 40 minutes. 20 being obvious to recognise as a Red Route restriction - how do you explain that one away Roddy?

Where exactly did you get your interpretation of rules anyway?? - serious friendly question.

so far, you apparently know better than me, Coblcris, the DfT, numerous Councils and the legally experienced and qualified patas and TPT Adjudicators. I think not somehow. Coblcris referred you to a relevant case. Was the outcome wrong?
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite

Before I use the word rubbish, perhaps you could give us chapter and verse of the regulations that support your statement........... or do you work for a PPC:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure