Simply Electronics - WARNING

Options

Comments

• AndyBT
    AndyBT Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 January 2015 at 6:56AM
    Options
    I wish I'd checked this site before I bought my HTC One M8 phone from Simplyelectronics.net.

I to thought they were a UK company when I purchased my phone back in August 2014. They promised to deliver the phone within 10 days. It took over a month.

I then upgraded my SIM/account to 4G in November and it would not pickup a 4G transmitter. After contacting HTC directly I was told that the phone was manufactured for the Hong Kong market and therefore the HTC 2 year guarantee was invalid in the UK. I also discovered that Hong Kong use a different LTE/4G frequency to the UK and this is why the 4G signal will not be picked up in the UK.

After many many emails to Simplyelectronics.net they eventually said that they would issue a refund when the phone was returned so I sent it off to them at the end of December.
    They now have both my money and my phone and say that because it's after their 'Return within 30 days policy' that it will be a repair rather than a refund. They have had my phone since 2nd January 2015 and still they will not say when it will be returned.

Their last correspondence says, regarding their own repair team, from customer services:
    'I would like to assure you that we are doing our best to speed up this process and provide better service for our customers. Should I get a response from them, I will let you know.'

Should I get a response?:mad:
    what kind of answer is that.

I paid for this with my credit card but it's now over 120 days since I purchased the phone. is it still possible to pursue a refund from the credit card company? does anybody know?
  • Speedoo
    Options
    I saved nearly £50 buying a Canon G16 through Simply Electronics rather than John Lewis. Dealing with Simply Electronics and their delivery people, DPD, was a nuisance and not a very reassuring experience, but the camera arrived, later than I had hoped, but well wrapped and exactly as expected. It had been delivered from Holland but ultimately, I suspect, from Hong Kong. I have no idea what will happen if I try to make a guarantee claim. If you don't mind the delay, the uncertainty and the lack of a UK guarantee and you want to save money, Simply Electronics are fine, if my experience is any guide. I won't know if I have any regrets unless the camera goes wrong in the next couple of years.
  • SHAHID
    Options
    i too recently brought something for Christmas and was guaranteed before xmas delivery and got it close to new years. i returned the item and recieved my refund but the postage was not returned. through various contacting them i was told i would be refunded my postage but i am still battling these people for a refund for my postage and the only reply i keep getting is the phone was not faulty so no refund will be given. i am not giving up on these people but will keep battling them.
    just incase anyone needs to call them do not use the 0844 number
    here is another one which will help you and you can also use from your mobile 0115 871 4466.

hope this help and dont lose hope ... keep battling these people

Call
    Send SMS
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
  • LeePateman
    Options
    DO NOT BUY FROM SIMPLY ELECTRONICS
    5 weeks and still don't have my over £2000 product when they said 4 to 10 days.
    now they have asked DPD to send it back so i will not get it.
    just hope i get refund
  • coporalcuddles
    Options
    I don't normally write reviews but on this occasion I have been forced to by my experience with this company simply electronics. If you want my advice stay clear of this company.

I ordered a DJI Inspire 1 from them (approx £2300). Before I placed the order I emailed them to ask where the product would be shipped from, and if I could expect any customs charges. They replied saying they had 3 different fulfillment centers around the world, one being in the UK and that the online listed price is what i paid, nothing else.

So I placed the order on Friday afternoon. I was then sent an email the next morning telling me my order was on hold and that I needed to contact them to provide further information. They said due to the large amount of money they needed addition proof of my id and asked me to provide scan of either driving licence or passport. I have never been asked to provide proof of id from an online retailer before, however, now that I placed the order with them i didn't want to delay the delivery of the product as I needed it to take on my holiday a week later.

I scanned my driving licence and council tax bill and emailed them. On Monday I received an email to say my order was cancelled and that I would soon be issued with a refund. I week later still no refund and then I contacted my bank (avoid using debit cards pls!) they said since i used my debit card the only option for them was to issue a charge-back but i needed to wait 18 days before I could fill out the forms and sent to them, then it could take another two weeks before I could receive my money.
    I sent an email to simply electronics every day the next week up until leaving for my holiday, each time getting another person replying to my email responding with the same message. "I apologize for the delay in processing your refund. I appreciate this mustn't be easy for you, but can assure you that I am doing everything I can to have your refund prioritized. " I ended up borrowing money from a friend to purchase the dji inspire from
    slrhut dot co dot uk who shipped it in 3 days from the US for an extra £19. I eventually got my money back after 3 and half weeks through my bank using what I now know as a charge-back service.

My bank told me the merchant who took my money was based in Cardiff in Wales. The customer support people I spoke with said they were from Philippines and their head office was in HK.:mad:
  • Knopfler
    Options
    OK...I know this is an old thread but DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

A mobile phone took 5 weeks to arrive. Its now faulty and it took a whole months to prise their return address off them. Now over 2 MONTHS after the original notification of the issue we still do not have the phone back. IT has to be the single most painful consumer experince I have ever had.

Dont learn the hard way...avoid! They are totally useless.
  • rstuk
    Options
    My recent experience will be a warning to anyone thinking of buying from Simply electronics.

Just over a year ago, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab from Simply electronics. Last week it went faulty and will not charge. I arranged for it to go to Samsung for repair under their two year warranty. The reply I received back is quoted below.

"One of our engineers has tested your device and have found that it is not of European origin. Samsung products are covered by a regional warranty and therefore only protected by the warranty specific to that region. Our records indicate that your device was originally manufactured outside of Europe and therefore is not covered by the European warranty and as such, we are unable to carry out a repair. We recommend that you contact your supplier"

Simply electronics stated that they give a 12 months in house warranty. What this means is that if you purchase anything from simply electronics, the chances are that you WILL HAVE NO MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY. As my device is over the 12 month period (only by two days), simply electronics do not want to know.

Let the buyer beware.
  • KarlC
    KarlC Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I decided to risk buying from this company after reading all the warning because their prices offered a massive saving from any other vendor.

At first it seemed like it was all going wrong because after i clicked buy i got now actual confirmations to acknowledge my purchase...

But that is where the bad news ended; a few days later i received an e-mail saying my order has been upgraded to priority at no cost and I received the order within 8 calendars of purchasing.

The only precaution I took after reading the posts here was to use PayPal instead of my credit/debit card directly; so if anything went wrong I could use the PayPal resolution service to dispute.
  • phiwinuk
    phiwinuk Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky! My experience with them was mixed. I got the product but had to sort out an unwanted duplicated order because their website is rubbish. Yes, the price was good but if it ever gets a fault I now realise that I'll have no chance of claiming on a manufacturers warranty.
    Balance the pros and cons carefully. I will never place an order with them again.
  • Pezlaa
    Pezlaa Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll second all the bad reports about this company. I'm struggling to get a refund and their customer service is next to none.
    Any suggestions on how to progress?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport