Product support ag ?

Comments

• I phoned the 08448006080 number and got through virtually straight away. The lady confirmed the £5.99 per month was for a computer bought from PCWorld. I have no recollection of agreeing to this but she was able to cancel the agreement there and then. Just wish I had done this years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • labp04
    labp04 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yep: simply mugged by Curry's! Went to buy a washing machine for my mum (who happens to be 90 years young); paid with a credit card; one month later and again in February sure enough charges of £4.49 appear on my statement. I rang the number on the statement and the guy cancelled the "agreement" and confirmed the same in writing. Went back to the store today, spoke to the manager he says he cant repay my money but the "problem" is that no-one needs to sign an "agreement" if they (Currys) have the credit card number. He went on to advise that he would speak to the member of staff and tell him of the problem and that I should contact Product Support AG to request a refund which I did to be told it is the store's responsibility. Rang Curry's customer care, outlined the above only to be advised to contact the credit card company to ask them to put in an "indemnity claim". Did as requested - credit card company advise writing to Currys. Sent an email to Curry's. Wonder if I'll have the stamina to keep going! :mad:
  • re. my post earlier - After several emails back and forward (I wasn't going to pay for an 0844 number), I worked out that they hadn't made a mistake. I did order the support and I assumed I'd paid upfront with my computer. I don't know why they couldn't work this out when I asked...
  • auldteach wrote: »
    I phoned the 08448006080 number and got through virtually straight away. The lady confirmed the £5.99 per month was for a computer bought from PCWorld. I have no recollection of agreeing to this but she was able to cancel the agreement there and then. Just wish I had done this years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!! I rarely check my bank statements at all. I was moving abroad recently and was sorting through my direct debits etc. Turns out I was paying £7.99 a month for FIVE YEARS without my knowledge. I know I should have checked it before now but this was a computer I bought a long time a go and have no memory of purchasing "product support" of any kind. I don't even have the thing any more. I'm furious at the sheer waste of money. My bank said they couldn't cancel it (which I couldn't understand) so they told me to write a letter to Visa which I did. Nothing happened. It took 4 months after noticing the payments to have them cancelled. I had no idea where to start and just had to Google everything myself. My bank were of no help whatsoever. :mad::mad::mad:
  • When I spotted ' product support AG .. £4.99 ' on my credit card I had no idea what it was for.
    I put the AG number in search engine and this forum came up and I realised I was being ripped off.
    Phoned credit card company and was told it was monthly payment to PC World. I asked her to cancel it but she said that I would have to ask PC World . She was sorry she couldn't help. She had spoken to others with similar problems re AG payments.
    She told me 4 payments had been credited to card.
    Four months ago I bought computer from PC World ,paying with credit card and when asked told young man on till I didn't want any insurance or product support !
    I went into shop and after long wait at their customer services counter was told that I must have signed for it . I hadn't signed anything .When I asked him to show me the paper with my signature on he mumbled something about how long it would take sorting through files in back office.
    Surely I argued if I signed a product support agreement I would have been given a copy and information as to what the support entailed.
    Eventually he gave me a number to ring and handed me phone .
    I was through to their financial department who said they would cancel agreement and refund any payments made.
    I think its terrible, how many people like me just give their statements a brief glance and end up paying ,for god knows how long ,something they haven't agreed to .
  • Hern
    Hern Posts: 464 Forumite
    This kind of thing, if such is happening, is very, very close to criminal fraud, and any retailer of any size runs risk of landing in deep, deep doo-dah if unable to mount a reasonable defence.

A warranty sale is as much a product sale as that of a TV, computer, washing machine or what have you. So a customer who purchases something with a warranty (other than that which comes as standard) is purchasing not one but two products.

The purchase details of *both* products must be recorded by the retailer with a copy to the customer. This might be offered in the form of two separate receipts by way of sales/purchase confirmation, or one receipt within which is clearly spelt out the separate charges incurred for the two separate products.

However, in practice, this isn't acceptable, either, because just as the original product comes with a user manual, so should the warranty product come with its equivalent (setting out what's covered, what isn't, for what duration, etc.)

No retailer should have any difficulty at all in locating the tandem records of a 'pure' product sale and a warranty product sale; both occurred at the same time and both are inter-linked.

Sadly though, time after time consumers seem to get into a daze when making a major store-bought purchase, and fail to listen closely enough to what's said at point-of-sale. The situation is then compounded by a bafflingly high number of consumers who simply don't look at their bank statements or even credit card statements.
  • Yep! This is still going on... I've just noticed a monthly direct debit for £5.00 on the card statement that I used to buy a small netbook last month.:naughty:

The helpful assistant at PC World asked me if I wanted the "Whatever Happens" guarantee. I said "Thank you, but I don't need it. I'm a computer engineer myself!"

When I discovered the mystery transaction on my creditcard statement (it only went on my statement 7 days ago) I checked the paperwork which was stuffed inside the computer box with all the packaging etc., and there it was... :eek: a few sheets of paper, folded four times, to the size of a creditcard... My agreement to sign up to the "Whatever Happens" Pay Monthly Agreement. Arrrrrgh!!!:mad:

I think this scam was enabled by the fact that the person that sold me the computer (and asked me if I wanted said agreement) was not the person who took the payment and stuffed all the paperwork inside the box (it was a display model and the box had already been opened).

After that, I scanned the forums and found this thread. I rang the customer services on the Currys/PC World Agreement (You actually get through to Dixons... Must be all the same group) and I have cancelled the agreement. They said the cancellation will be sent to me in writing. Although they say it's unlikely I'll get that first payment refunded, but it will go to Head Office. Yeah... like I believe that. I think I'm getting too cynical in my old age!!:(
  • The problem WILL be sent to head office and each store will be sent a little report of "miss-sold" WHE agreements with the colleagues name and what was said at the time of cancellation and the person who "sold" the agreement will face disciplinary. Disciplinary does actually happen too.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Lemon_Labs wrote: »
    The problem WILL be sent to head office and each store will be sent a little report of "miss-sold" WHE agreements with the colleagues name and what was said at the time of cancellation and the person who "sold" the agreement will face disciplinary. Disciplinary does actually happen too.

Yep. There's a certain person on our region who appeared on said report rather a few times when the latest one came out. He's now suspending, and awaiting his fate. This makes me happy.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • judles1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have suspicions regarding payments to AG product Support appearing on CREDIT CARD statements or are we the only suckers! No record of policy or authorised direct debit mandates found as yet but looking similar to policy admin (mobile phones) stories. If anyone else is aware of or currently dealing with AG, would like to hear what you know!
    hi yes i have same problem and cant fix it it has been on going now for 2 years my credit card compsny cant seem to stop them if you have any more info would be very greatful
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback