PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I searched but couldn't find anything

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Brilliant idea thanks to Squeaky and Penelope :T
  • maltesers_2
    maltesers_2 Posts: 291 Forumite
    I requested that HOW TO FIND THINGS was made a prominent sticky and one of the MSE team kindly did so. Unfortunately, in March 2009 the sticky was updated and the HOW TO FIND THINGS label was changed - perhaps we need a separate sticky that can't be interfered with.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Actually, I checked, and it is indeed this thread that is linked to from the "Welcome sticky".

Your Board Guides are asked by the boss to do their best to limit sticky posts to five and since this thread is a link in the main Welcome sticky which everybody "ought" to read and have a nodding acquaintance with- it's reasonably available for readers without using up a sticky-space of its own.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Squeaky - your threads are very useful but although peaople 'ought' to read the Welcome thread it is obvious most don't. That is why it is important to include something to the effect of 'HOW To FIND Things' on this forum in the thread title.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you kindly :) but given that at the time of writing the total number of reads of the Welcome sticky is 14,679... either a few people are reading and using it lots of times... or quite a lot of people have browsed it at least once. :)

The whole point of the Welcome sticky was to put together an informative "list", in a non-listy but helpful way, that pointed folks to the most frequently requested areas of Old Style. Otherwise our first two pages of the forum listing would ALL be stickies! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    maltesers wrote: »
    Squeaky - your threads are very useful but although peaople 'ought' to read the Welcome thread it is obvious most don't. That is why it is important to include something to the effect of 'HOW To FIND Things' on this forum in the thread title.

OK, then :D I've added to the Welcome Sticky the first six posts of this thread :D I've also updated the title of that sticky :D Hope this is acceptable to you, and remember, squeaky has helped you, so a Thank You would be polite :D

I do know, however, that for every poster who reads Stickies, there's another who justs doesn't see them - some people' brains miss things that are static, they focus on the moving threads further down :D

Have a nice day, everyone :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can help the search engine

One of the quickest and easiest ways to search for something (usually) is to use the Advanced Search set to Titles Only.

Unfortunately it has one rather fatal drawback.

If a thread has a title such as:-

Help me please...

or:-

How do I...?

Then it isn't going to show up on a search for (say) carrots because the search word isn't in the title, and neither you nor the system has the foggiest idea of what these threads are about unless you go and look at them
    Yes, they'll show up if you change the search from Titles Only to Search Entire Contents - but that usually gives you a much longer list of results to check.

So fair enough - if you need help - by all means ask for it and put help please in the title. But then, in order to help people find things - put something covering the question at hand into the title.

So, for instance - if you want to know how to stop fruit from sinking to the bottom when you are making jelly, please don't just use the title:-

Help please

By all means start your title that way, but then add something relevant as well, so your title could be:-

Help please - fruit sinks in jelly

That way, anyone looking for this thread will be able to use any of the "key" words such as "fruit" "sinks" or "jelly" (or any combination of them) and so stand a very good chance of finding the thread quickly and easily.

You know it makes sense :)
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 3 March 2010 at 11:58AM
    I have been searching on the forum for lasagne made with ham and white wine. I have been struggling with the search function - can anyone suggest how best to use it.

Please move this if you think the question about a search should be elsewhere.

All help very gratefully received.

Edited to add - I have to log off now, but I am very grateful for any advice
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Everything you need is in this Sticky Thread :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thank you Penelope Penguin that is really REALLY helpful.

I have subscribed to the thread as a solid gold life line.

Thank you again.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure