What benefits am i entitled to if living with parents?

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    bestpud wrote: »
    They don't want to stay with one set of parents though, do they, as they will lose out on the single parent benefits they are hoping to claim!
    The OP has never suggested they're doing this just to enable them to claim more benefits.

It's quite possible that neither set of parents has space for an entire family unit to move in...... I know that we struggled when my DD moved in with a little one, and that was just the two of them. An extra 'body' would have stretched the house beyond breaking point.

I agree with the comments about it being better (especially for the baby) for them to stay as a family unit if possible -- but if their finances are already stretched to the maximum and the OP will be losing a salary (even if getting Maternity Benefits at the same time), then surely the stress caused by this could cause problems anyway. And I also believe it's not good for a child to live in a home where there's constant tension and bickering.

So it could be a case of "the lesser of two evils".
    Cheryl
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    cw18 wrote: »
    The OP has never suggested they're doing this just to enable them to claim more benefits.

It's quite possible that neither set of parents has space for an entire family unit to move in...... I know that we struggled when my DD moved in with a little one, and that was just the two of them. An extra 'body' would have stretched the house beyond breaking point.

I agree with the comments about it being better (especially for the baby) for them to stay as a family unit if possible -- but if their finances are already stretched to the maximum and the OP will be losing a salary (even if getting Maternity Benefits at the same time), then surely the stress caused by this could cause problems anyway. And I also believe it's not good for a child to live in a home where there's constant tension and bickering.

So it could be a case of "the lesser of two evils".

Her income is only £4k though so they still ahve a joint household income of £20k!

They will get tax credits on that income and if her OH does lose his job then they will get HB.

They are not moving apart because they can't survive financially. They are doing it to enable them to save and buy a house!

There is hell of a lot of families surviving on a income of less than £20 and many with more tha one child!

Yes, they could probably not buy for a while but that is something lots of us have to deal with.

So, on balance, the OP has asked specifically what she can claim and thanked a post telling her she could claim as a single parent. She didn't, of course, argue they are still a couple! Plus she has stated very clearly that they sare doing this so they can save for a house.

Which part of that tells you they are not looking for the tax payer to fund their deposit? Or, which part tells you they are going to remain connected financially and not claim seperately?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    They could still be struggling on the income with the loss of her salary -- we have no way of knowing (nor am I asking) what debts they may have. Yes, she says they want to save a deposit -- but they may have debts they need to clear first, and moving back in with their respective parents may enable them to do this and then save.

Nor do we know what they pay in terms of rent and such..... if they live in an expensive area of the country (no location given), then they may be paying quite a high rent. (And yes, I'm sure there are families in whatever area coping with the same rent, the same or lower income and more children)

I'm not saying that she should claim as a single parent -- nor am I saying it would be morally OK for her to do. But the fact she's noted her OHs income as well as her parents suggests to me she's not sure which will be linked together in working out any sort of claim.

In an ideal world I agree that Tax Credits should link hers and her OHs even though they're not living together, but they'll certainly not include her parents.

And as for your comment about the post she's thanked -- it's possible she's not been back on line since, as she's not thanked any apart from that one (which was the first reply!), not has she posted any replies.
    Cheryl
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    cw18 wrote: »
    They could still be struggling on the income with the loss of her salary -- we have no way of knowing (nor am I asking) what debts they may have. Yes, she says they want to save a deposit -- but they may have debts they need to clear first, and moving back in with their respective parents may enable them to do this and then save.

Nor do we know what they pay in terms of rent and such..... if they live in an expensive area of the country (no location given), then they may be paying quite a high rent. (And yes, I'm sure there are families in whatever area coping with the same rent, the same or lower income and more children)

I'm not saying that she should claim as a single parent -- nor am I saying it would be morally OK for her to do. But the fact she's noted her OHs income as well as her parents suggests to me she's not sure which will be linked together in working out any sort of claim.

In an ideal world I agree that Tax Credits should link hers and her OHs even though they're not living together, but they'll certainly not include her parents.

And as for your comment about the post she's thanked -- it's possible she's not been back on line since, as she's not thanked any apart from that one (which was the first reply!), not has she posted any replies.

No, but she was online when she thanked that particular post and didn't see fit to argue she is not single. That was my point!

If she is in an expensive area then LHA will be higher to compensate.

Lots struggle, and have debts, but they don't feel the need to take this sort of action.

Also, in an expensive area, the house prices will be higher which means more money from the tax payer while they save to buy one and a higher risk involved with buying!

I hope they link them in out less than ideal world tbh! Why shouldn't they?

It doesn't matter what their circumstances are, they have been living together, and he earns the bulk of the money. They WILL NOT be that much worse off by the time she includes maternity pay, tax credits, child benefit etc. She earns £4k for goodness sake - it's not going to make that big a difference! It is not the tax payers responsibility to fund their desires.

If they were that desperate to buy you have to wonder why they haven't before now, don't you? It seems living toegther was fine until she became pregnant and now they are going to sperate at the very time they should want to be together.

Houses will wait but you cannot reclaim lost years in a child's life!!

I really cannot get my head around it at all - it's just all wrong. For their relationship, the baby, their parents, the tax payer...

The priorities are seriously screwed up imho. :confused:
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bestpud wrote: »
    They don't want to stay with one set of parents though, do they, as they will lose out on the single parent benefits they are hoping to claim!

We arent doing this to get more benefits - there isnt the room at my parents nor his to allow all of us to live there. I just wanted to know if (because of mum and dads wage) whether what we would get normally would be affected as i know some benefit calculations are based on household income which isnt fair.

I dont want to commit Fraud thank you very much to everyone that thinks i do, i just want things to be right and that me and OH get the benefits we are entitled to as a couple/family.

And to clarify, we started renting 2yrs ago and planned to save up for a house but we then found we were expecting, then i got made redundant and now OH is likely to face redundancy. We are moving to ensure we have a roof over our heads and food in our mouths incase he looses his job. We can also start a mega savings plan whilst in this position(as we have no savings at all) to save for a deposit on a house clear our debts and OH can look for another job which is secure.

Sarah
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • some benefit calculations are based on household income which isnt fair.

Err yes I think it is!!!! The fact that you have no savings is really no one else's fault is it??
    Anyway no doubt you will be back to bite my head off but best wishes with the baby .....
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    happytails wrote: »
    And to clarify, we started renting 2yrs ago and planned to save up for a house but we then found we were expecting, then i got made redundant and now OH is likely to face redundancy. We are moving to ensure we have a roof over our heads and food in our mouths incase he looses his job. We can also start a mega savings plan whilst in this position(as we have no savings at all) to save for a deposit on a house clear our debts and OH can look for another job which is secure.

Sarah

You selfish cow. I like the way you say "we found out we were expecting" but then are quite happy to shove the father out of the picture just to save a few quid for something that is most likely never to happen.

You do know how !!!!ed up your kid is going to end up being don't you, basically being brought up in a one parent family with dad coming to visit on weekends - you know, LIKE DIVORCED PEOPLE DO? How long do you think your relationship with your OH is going to last when he has to go home at night, knowing that the only reason he can't spend more time with his daughter is because of money grubbing? He's really going to be chuffed being a part time dad for 3 or 4 years or more, missing those wonderful "firsts" isn't he? And you can never get that back, ever.

YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A ROOF OVER YOUR HEADS IF HE LOST HIS JOB BECAUSE YOU CAN GET HOUSING BENEFIT. YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO LOSE A HOUSE YOU'VE BOUGHT WHEN MADE REDUNDANT BECAUSE NOBODY PAYS YOUR MORTGAGE.

But why should you give a !!!!? You'll have the baby so you'll be alright and !!!! your OH - he'll just have to put up with it. Personally, I'd tell you to !!!! off.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    You selfish cow. I like the way you say "we found out we were expecting" but then are quite happy to shove the father out of the picture just to save a few quid for something that is most likely never to happen.

You do know how !!!!ed up your kid is going to end up being don't you, basically being brought up in a one parent family with dad coming to visit on weekends - you know, LIKE DIVORCED PEOPLE DO? How long do you think your relationship with your OH is going to last when he has to go home at night, knowing that the only reason he can't spend more time with his daughter is because of money grubbing? He's really going to be chuffed being a part time dad for 3 or 4 years or more, missing those wonderful "firsts" isn't he? And you can never get that back, ever.

YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A ROOF OVER YOUR HEADS IF HE LOST HIS JOB BECAUSE YOU CAN GET HOUSING BENEFIT. YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO LOSE A HOUSE YOU'VE BOUGHT WHEN MADE REDUNDANT BECAUSE NOBODY PAYS YOUR MORTGAGE.

But why should you give a !!!!? You'll have the baby so you'll be alright and !!!! your OH - he'll just have to put up with it. Personally, I'd tell you to !!!! off.

Looks like someone needs to cut down on the booze! :rolleyes:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not normally moved to respond to these 'political' posts (I usually keep well out of them) but to me the words of original thread posted 'What benefits am I entitled to...' say it all. Why should anyone feel they have the right to claim benefits as a form of saving. It's taxpayers money, designed as a safety net for people in great need. The benefit system is not here for people to manipulate to their own ends. OP has a reasonable income and has decided to have a child. If they decide to move in with parents to save money, that's their choice. But to expect benefits to add to their savings????
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    Conor, you have been too blunt on perception of the future. Couples who live apart (even when they think they are doing something for the best in the long-term) do tend to break up. These 2 need to decide what is really most important to them - a rented home, or the risks of waiting to buy their own.

On the politics side, I don't see very many cases of childbirth/young children warranting an excuse to live on benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure