redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Ceinture de came
    une ceinture is a seat belt; the word for this type of belt is courroie

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courroie#Courroie_synchrone_ou_crant.C3.A9e
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    my dad goes to http://www.vw.be/newmodules/Deal_Homepage.aspx?lg=fr&dealer_id=8 which is in Belgium for his VW servicing and has done for some time. It is about 3 hrs from Dover inc the ferry crossing. I believe they are english speaking.
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    A friend of mine had her VW Passat's cambelt changed at main dealer for £500.
    So, I think you're getting a good price from dealer anyway.

Remember, if cambelt snaps, you might need a new engine!

Or better buy a car with cam chain next time :)
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Thank you everybody for the kind help & advice.

A Happy and Peaceful Christmas & New Year to you all!!!!!!!!

Victors_Bruvver
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have just had a card from VW saying our Golf needs a replacement cam belt. My husband has telephoned 4 local VW dealers and they have quoted between £325 and £425, all dealers quoted a different figure. This covers replacement of 2 belts. We also telephoned VW customer care to say that our service schedule says it doesn't need changing until 60,000 miles and we have only done 40,000 but they recommend changing it after 4 years or 40,000 miles. We are also going to get a price from an independent mechanic as well before having it done.
  • £400 for a belt change on a VW tdi...? Is it the 6 cyliner one, cos that sounds abour ok. If its the 4 pot, then they should be charging no more than 200 all done...
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I no its a big job on a Ford Focus havent had a price but a mechanic friend said it could cost around £300 the belt doesn't cost must its the labour
  • Poppycat wrote: »
    I no its a big job on a Ford Focus havent had a price but a mechanic friend said it could cost around £300 the belt doesn't cost must its the labour

ive just had mine done on my 1.6 focus,it cost £180,should have been £160 but the mechanic had difficulty with the crankshaft pulley.
    wouldnt expect to pay more than £200 tops.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks I bear that in mind when I can afford to do it, along with 2 rear tyres, 2 front disc brakes (not urgent yet), cam belt and now central locking on top of £300 I spent 4-5 weeks back, its all spend with this damn car
  • Poppycat wrote: »
    Thanks I bear that in mind when I can afford to do it, along with 2 rear tyres, 2 front disc brakes (not urgent yet), cam belt and now central locking on top of £300 I spent 4-5 weeks back, its all spend with this damn car
    it is anightmare when everything needs done at once,the cam belt on the focus is good for 100,000 miles,so it wont need doing again for a while and it is money well spent.
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport