PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A selling conundrum

2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Davesnave - I think it's a bit different if the offer has just been accepted. This buyer had had their mortgage valuation and started legals - they will lose money now if GrumpyDil ditches them.
    This is why I said the length of time on the market is a factor to weigh.

I suppose something like 2 weeks is the sort of figure I'd call fair exposure. My first house, long pre-internet, was on for a week. Then, due to the interest, it went to sealed bids. All done and dusted in a fortnight.

Nothing's stopping Dil from offering an amount for genuine expenses.

And yes, our property suits us very well now, but it was £100k cheaper than the other one, so we've had to graft very hard and spend that to make it comparable.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Davesnave - I think it's a bit different if the offer has just been accepted. This buyer had had their mortgage valuation and started legals - they will lose money now if GrumpyDil ditches them.

99% will go with conscience and stick with them but even if we didn't would most likely reimburse them their valuation fee and any legal costs related to their current purchase.

Really only asked as was quite surprised that 100% response in my office yesterday was to go with higher offer!
  • KTD10
    KTD10 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you go back to your current buyers and explain what's happened? A bit of honestly wouldn't hurt and they may up their offer if they think they might lose it. We are in the process of buying our first house as a couple and would be absolutely devastated if this happened to us as we waited ages to find this house and have spent over £1k in surveys so far. Whilst I appreciate £10K is a lot of money and would be hard to turn down, maybe being straight with your current buyer might lead to more money without any guilt?
  • GrumpyDil
    To be honest they have already upped their offer quite a bit already and think that they have probably reached close to their limit.

Anyway we've decided that we will 99% stick with them at the agreed price as although it's a fair bit of extra cash they have progressed things from their side very quickly so are obviously keen. They did tell me that it would be their forever home which is kind of nice as we're selling because of circumstances and both really liked the house.
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    How long ago did the new offerers view the property? What has made them suddenly think your property is worth more than they were willing to pay x weeks/months ago? Were they holding out for better that never materialised, and are they not likely to have their heads turned if that does come on the market? I don't think I'd trust their loyalty
  • GrumpyDil
    edited 13 January 2018 at 2:32PM
    katebl wrote: »
    How long ago did the new offerers view the property? What has made them suddenly think your property is worth more than they were willing to pay x weeks/months ago? Were they holding out for better that never materialised, and are they not likely to have their heads turned if that does come on the market? I don't think I'd trust their loyalty

I think the reason for the increased offer is because they want to live in the area and there are very few houses for sale there (four last time I checked) so I'd guess that they haven't been able to find anything else suitable.

Yes worry would be that they might try and reduce offer later down the process.

Although that's irrelevant musing really as very very unlikely we'll accept. Just would have been nice to have some extra money.
  • katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    So although committed to the area they're not necessarily committed to your house... I think you're doing the right thing sticking with the first buyer, as the new one may have their head turned easily and use that to change/withdraw their offer down the line. Wishing you luck and a smooth sale from hereon
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Personally I'd take the extra £10,000 but would offer to pay the other buyers reasonable expenses they have already incurred. I'd also give them the opportunity to increase their offer if they preferred that way.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Always an argument for both sides, however I think your conscience is the one thing to always be guided by. Great idea taking the weekend to think about it and make the right decision though
    April 2020 - £102,222 Loans/CC’s.

Jan 2022 - £0
    Cleared - £102,222

Jan 2022 - Now time to build suitable investments and a business!
  • You could take the higher offer but offer to pay the other party's legal costs.

Bit risky if sale falls through but it is an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure