IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    philmac750 wrote: »
    what other denomination ? how would I know which ones work and which don't at the point of buying the ticket - I can read their sign which states 5p, 10p , 20p, 50p and £1 are all accepted. But clearly some of these are not accepted at all.
    Still leaves the option to park elsewhere like you did the second time, right?

Did you check other cars to see if they had tickets?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    yotmon wrote: »
    It is quite possible, but as you recognise that fact then why park there when it sounds as though alternative parking is close by.

There's very little choice in my town!!!
    lovinituk wrote: »
    But you had an alternative to either go and get other denomination coins

Oh yes and find a ticket already on my windscreen by the time I'd convinced a shopkeeper to give me change without buying something?
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh yes and find a ticket already on my windscreen by the time I'd convinced a shopkeeper to give me change without buying something?
    Don't leave it in the car park while finding the right change, simples!!

I'm playing devils advocate here. The OP had alternatives. The most sensible option would have been to park elsewhere which they did on another occassion.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Surely if you can't buy a ticket you just don't park there?!

How does that work? You normally shop at Tesco, but the machines are not accepting coin of the realm. Do you therefore shop at Waitrose, or Morrisons?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The_Deep wrote: »
    How does that work? You normally shop at Tesco, but the machines are not accepting coin of the realm. Do you therefore shop at Waitrose, or Morrisons?
    As I said, I'm playing devils advocate. The OP said it didn't take 5 and 10p so it sounds like it might take others. Were there tickets on other cars? If the machine was completely broken and no one could buy a ticket then that's a different matter altogether. It doesn't sound like this is the case though as they chose to park somewhere else the second time.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The important thing here is to appeal the PCN as detailed in the NEWBIES sticky thread at the appropriate time, also detailed in the NEWBIES, using the appropriate template from the NEWBIES.
    There are two templates but I can't advise you which one to use as you haven't told us the name of the parking company.

The legal tender argument is a complete red herring. Legal tender has a very specific meaning in law, and not every coin, note, or form of payment is classed as legal tender. Do you know which ones are and aren't? I don't, but it doesn't matter.
    Once you found you couldn't pay for parking you should have left.

You now need to fight the PCN using legal arguments which you will find in the NEWBIES. Do not pay, do NOT ignore, do not reveal who was driving, do not appeal a windscreen ticket too soon, but do not miss the appeal deadline either.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    The legal tender argument is a complete red herring.

Seems clear enough to me

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The_Deep wrote: »
    The legal tender argument is a complete red herring.

Seems clear enough to me

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/

Yes, totally clear. As you are paying beforehand then you are paying for a service. You have not incurred a debt at this point.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As I said, I'm playing devils advocate. The OP said it didn't take 5 and 10p so it sounds like it might take others. Were there tickets on other cars? If the machine was completely broken and no one could buy a ticket then that's a different matter altogether. It doesn't sound like this is the case though as they chose to park somewhere else the second time.
    How does this help the OP with their PCN problem?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    How does this help the OP with their PCN problem?
    It doesn't. I didn't realise we were not allowed to discuss other aspects of peoples posts. Feel free to report my posts if I have broken any rules!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure