Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 28,380Posts
    • 158,130Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 330
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 2nd Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,879 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    What a fab way to use some of the money - experiences are priceless. And Norway is fabulous too - we were there for a wedding a year or so back....stunning country.

Happy New Year x

Current balance £113,959.06. Offset £2,390.46. £111,568.60 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22 - 2018 O/pay £100
    Make £2018 in £2018 = £263.24/£2018
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 28,380 Posts
    • 158,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks betterthan!

Happy New Year to you too x
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 12,895 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oooo - That cruise sounds fantastic! - that is an experience to be had & doing it with your sister would build amazing memories for both of you.

We have just emerged from 10 days of hibernation - self-imposed quiet relaxation with lots of sleep and lots of food - a couple of pounds heavier, but that is what elastic waistbands are for - we are now looking to plan a short 3-5 day trip away for the start of Feb - my vote is anywhere warm and OH's suggestions involve northern (cold) climes! Any suggestions?
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 28,380 Posts
    • 158,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds like just what you needed, RT - your day is sooooo long, hibernation has got to work well.

Erm ... your short break. You do know that you and your OH are diametrically opposite in your statements about what you want, don't you

Ooh, one suggestion: Barcelona! Warm(ish) city, ski slopes nearby
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 28,380 Posts
    • 158,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Here I am: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5767136
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,406Posts Today

10,350Users online

Martin's Twitter