Courier Job Income Tax

Not sure if posted in the correct board, feel free to move.

I am interested in a courier job at amazon through one motion logistics. They state that you earn £100/day and can work as many days as you want. They also offer to lease you a van at a cost of £186/week. I would be interested in working 5 days/week and hiring the van from them. This would leave me with an income of £314/week. Does anyone know if i would then pay income tax + national insurance on the gross £500 or net £314? Thanks

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Don't forget to minus the fuel costs. You could probably earn more in McDonalds with a lot less stress
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Do you not need to figure insurance into that amount as well?
    I know it might not be a lot on its own per week, but when added to all the other costs, will take you to a bit below your £314/week before tax/NI
  • Hi, thanks for the replies.

The £186/week includes hire and insurance.

They reimburse us at 15p/mile of fuel, not great, but better than nothing.

Have spoke to a few people about this and no one seems certain :S
  • Not sure if posted in the correct board, feel free to move.

I am interested in a courier job at amazon through one motion logistics. They state that you earn £100/day and can work as many days as you want. They also offer to lease you a van at a cost of £186/week. I would be interested in working 5 days/week and hiring the van from them. This would leave me with an income of £314/week. Does anyone know if i would then pay income tax + national insurance on the gross £500 or net £314? Thanks

To answer that question -
    as a self-employed person you are assessed for tax and NI on your nett earnings (your profit) not the gross.
  • Thanks for clearing that up general!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure if posted in the correct board, feel free to move.

I would avoid it like the plague.

I know of several people who have done this job in the past and its a horror story. Ridiculously long hours, ridiculous expectations and relentless.

They pay you £100 a day rather than an hourly rate because you'll have to work all the hours god sends a day to get the work done that they expect you to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure