Why is my credit rating bad (credit info shown). Advice please

Options
moneymoney16
moneymoney16 Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 8 October 2016 at 4:28PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi all

I have been hoping to cosolidate my debts for a while now onto one credit card, with no/lower interest but my credit rating is holding me back.

I had a blip in my rating the second half of last year - I graduated from university, red brick, in an engineering degree summer 2015, then I was looking for work and did not secure a job until end of December 2015. So for 6 months I was on jobseekers allowance and so unable to keep up with my credit card repayments. I rang 2 of my credit cards every month - Barclaycard and Bank of Scotland, to tell them I was still looking for work. It was an agreement that I ring every month to let them know my situation and during this they made sure no interest was added on. Obviously the minimum monthly repayments kept adding up though.

When it came to about January this year Barclaycard were not far off defaulting me I think (I think as it had been 6 months of no payments), and Bank of Scotland did default me. I rang them up to tell them my situation and that I had now found work, earning £23,000/year. The woman understood my situation that I was only in finacial trouble as I had finished uni and was looking for work. She said she would remove the default and then suggested putting me on a thing where I pay £50/month and there is no interest. She said I will get no monthly statements, just a letter every year I think saying what I owe. She said I was actually better off doing this now, rather than going back to paying the credit card like I used to as there was no interest with this, so I thought great. She assured me the default had been removed and this new thing would not affect my credit rating.

Obviously at this point in January my credit rating wasn't good after about 6 months of no payments on 2 credit cards. I paid to Barclaycard what I owed them in repayments in the previous 6 months in one go in January, and since January this year have been good with my payments for everything, except for one late payment in February on my Barclaycard credit card.

10 months into full time employment on £23,000 a year, £1500ish/month going into my TSB account, only 1 late payment, I didn't expect to still have a poor credit rating. I hoped after 6 months I'd be able to move my debts to one low interest card or even interest free (!).

I have attached screenshots of all the information from Equifax on my credit agreements. Could anyone shed light onto why my credit rating is still bad (505 on noddle and 294 on Equifax. I signed up to Experian earlier in the year for the free trial so can't see their rating now) ? I can only assume it is the non payments end of last year? But that was 10 months ago so I thought it would improve by now.

I'm not sure if what Bank of Scotland have put me on is affecting my rating? The grey squares say ''status - not updated'' when I hover over them. There's definitely nothing with default on my credit report, and I don't think they have me down as arrangement to pay...

I have tried to book an appointment with TSB (I have been with them 9 years and my wages go into TSB now) to see if they can help me consolidate it all (after telling them the reason why I had financial trouble) but they aren't interested in booking an appointment with me as the woman said I have no available credit. She said there must be something affecting my rating.

It's just annoying seeing the interest each month on my statements, when I feel I could pay it all off much more quickly and cheaply on a lower interest rate if I could get it, and I live at home, so on £23k I should be ok really financially.

Any ideas would be much appreciated :huh: Thanks for reading!!

Hayley

Edit:: can't seem to put link in of my credit report as I'm a new user :sad:

Try http ://pho.to /ANFSW (taking out the 2 spaces)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ignore the numbers they give you.

But with recent agreements in place and only a few months of good behaviour, and with a late payment even then, you're seen as high risk.

Are you still on arrangements with your cards? If so, you need to get off those. But even so, it will likely take a couple of years before you're able to get mainstream offers.
  • moneymoney16
    Options
    Ignore the numbers they give you.

But with recent agreements in place and only a few months of good behaviour, and with a late payment even then, you're seen as high risk.

Are you still on arrangements with your cards? If so, you need to get off those. But even so, it will likely take a couple of years before you're able to get mainstream offers.

I've managed to put a link in now of my report (just take out 2 spaces)

Just with the Bank of Scotland one, just pay £50/month, no interest, no statements, just get a letter once a year she said. I'm not sure this is affecting my rating though as it's not showing as anything bad on there, just not updated (?)

Paying the Barclaycard and TSB credit card fine.

Couple of years?? Jeesh, I was hoping by now after 10 months of no serious issues and 1 late payment in Feb that'd I'd be in a much better place :sad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    8 months of a clear record is nothing, when you have customers with 6 years of perfect history picking up the best deals. Added to that, is you have a very limited file in any case, and half of that is fairly poor.

But each month will put you in a better place, as long as you start keeping to repayments.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are not receiving statements then it sounds like you are on an 'arrangement to pay'.

No other lender will consider you a healthy risk if you have an arrangement for a previous debt so I don't think moving the debts to a different card will happen any time soon.

Keep throwing every spare penny at the debts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You say you were out of work following uni, did you apply jobs and any job just to get some money in ?
  • moneymoney16
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    If you are not receiving statements then it sounds like you are on an 'arrangement to pay'.

No other lender will consider you a healthy risk if you have an arrangement for a previous debt so I don't think moving the debts to a different card will happen any time soon.

Keep throwing every spare penny at the debts.

Would it help if I spoke to Bank of Scotland and came off that arrangement, went back to paying interest etc each month like a normal credit card? The woman at BOS said it wouldn't affect my credit rating :sad:

I can't tell from looking at credit reports if that's affecting it. It doesn't say arrangement to pay, just not updated, but it could well be and be affecting my rating.

I'm unsure if it's that, or the missed payments for 6 months 10 months ago which are most affecting my rating.

I suppose I'd have to do the maths on what I'm saving on interest on that one, and what I could save if my rating improved and I got a better interest rate credit card, consolidating it all...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Both arrangements and missed payments are horrible for your credit history.

For as long as you continue to breach the terms of your agreement by being on an arrangement, the worse it will get.
  • moneymoney16
    Options
    Both arrangements and missed payments are horrible for your credit history.

For as long as you continue to breach the terms of your agreement by being on an arrangement, the worse it will get.

Would I be better off paying BOS all I can spare each month, say a few hundred to get that settled on my file, even though it's interest free, just to get rid of it? (I think it's about £2000)

Or do you think they could put me back onto normal terms again, and pay them like normal each month along with the other credit cards, with interest?

Or is it best to leave the BOS one at £50/month and pay off chunks of the other credit cards? (I'm guessing not if people think the BOS is hindering me at the moment)

I'd have gone back to paying like normal BOS back in Jan if i'd have known it would affect my rating. I feel misinformed by the woman at BOS, unless she couldn't let me go back to normal terms as it did go to default and she removed it...
  • moneymoney16
    Options
    I just don't want to throw it all at BOS to clear it, to then still have a bad rating when that money could have gone towards the cards with interest on :huh:
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only you can decide whether an Arrangement to Pay is a better scenario for you to clear the debt v's paying interest to improve your credit history and future, should you want credit in the future eg a mortgage/move mortgage providers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family