IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Cigarette ends and "fines"

Options
Hi all

I know this isn't a motoring issue but I'm hoping it will follow the same lines.

I've just been handed an £80 "fine" from a 3rd-party company working on behalf of my local council because I dropped my cigarette end on the floor (apparently it's caught on camera, although I haven't seen the footage).

There are no bins/ashtrays in the vicinity for approx 1/4 mile in either direction.

The advice I was given when I queried the fine was to "put it in my pocket" (meaning the cigarette end).

According to the on-the-spot paperwork I was given there is no automatic right of appeal (although, after speaking to the 3rd-party company, I can take it to Magistrates court).

Anyone any ideas on my next steps?
:wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:18PM
    Options
    You no doubt carried the offending item with you before you consumed and disposed of it for the taxpayer to clean up after you why couldn't you make arrangements to dispose of it later?

If you think you have been given the FPN unfairly just ignore it (like you did with the environment) and let a magistrate decide, that is your only appeal route.
    Though the fine is more likely to go up!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    rmg1 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on my next steps?

Quit smoking / change to vaping?
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @fisherjim - the leftovers from a cigarette is all bio-degradable (paper, cotton, tobacco). Without wishing to start an argument, how many sweet wrappers have you/your children thrown on the floor/out of the car window?

@DoaM - thanks for that(!) :doh:
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @fisherjim - the leftovers from a cigarette is all bio-degradable (paper, cotton, tobacco). Without wishing to start an argument, how many sweet wrappers have you/your children thrown on the floor/out of the car window?

It's the way of life today, be glad you don't live in Singapore
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:39PM
    Options

Ermhh theyre not. Most filters are made from cellulose acetate which is plastic. It does break down in the same sense a plastic bottle breaks down but its stretching it to call it biodegradable, you just end up with tiny particles of it.

Tobacco contains quite a few carcinogens. They leach tokins in to the environment which are then consumed by wildlife (plants, birds and animals).

Are you wanting to appeal the fine? If so on what basis do you wish to appeal? If theres cctv evidence of you doing it i cant imagine there will be many mitigating circumstances that would allow a succesful appeal.

Maybe. chalk it up to experience and avoid doing it again in future? And be happy that youre helping contribute to the wages of the people who have to clean up after those who dont get fined.

In case youre not aware you can buy pocket ashtrays for much cheaper than a fine. I think theyre about £5. Little heat proof pouch that you put your fag in squeeze and it puts it out. Dont burn your finger and it helps contain some of the just docked fag smell.

Here you go a pack of 9 for £5.99, bargain!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-STUBBI-POCKET-ASHTRAYS-PORTABLE-POUCHES-For-Cigarettes-/282618360816?epid=761001084&hash=item41cd5df3f0:g:BPQAAOSwls5Y8cjU
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 2:41PM
    Options
    I know this isn't a motoring issue but I'm hoping it will follow the same lines.

It does not, this forum has nothing to do with littering.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    Options

I don't litter, your argument is pathetic, and throwing your disgusting filth about makes this country a mess.

I have told you what you can try if you think you can dodge your responsibilities, and this is as TD said a parking forum!

Grow up!
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:13PM
    Options
    "It's the way of life today, be glad you don't live in Singapore"

Or Stoke on Trent.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 7 September 2017 at 12:25AM
    Options
    Same scum private firms who chase people for ''cycling when you shouldn't'' - kerchiiingg!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73056339#post73056339

I hate these firms almost as much as I loathe parking companies.

Here's what 'litter-police' companies do to people, lovely, they must be soooo proud:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/06/litter-police-bully-pensioner-with-learning-difficulties-over-cigarette-butt-6907458/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39882434

What a shining example of British enterprise for a start-up business (NOT):

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-litter-enforcement-company-issues-fewer-tickets-than-predecessor/43143

Council litter enforcement company issues fewer tickets than predecessor

''A council-owned litter enforcement company in East Hampshire has issued half as many fines than their predecessor because of their ‘honest’ approach to dealing with the public.

EH Commercial Services (EHCS) — a company wholly owned by East Hampshire DC — only issued 719 tickets last year compared to the previous year when their predecessor, the private company Kingdom Services, handed out 1,454.

Chris Bradley, a director at EHCS, explained the difference in the number of tickets was the result of EHCS being a start-up company which is still ‘learning’.
    ''

Errrrm...''still learning'' does not equate to ''an honest approach to the public''.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fisherjim
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Same scum private firms who chase people for ''cycling when you shouldn't'' - kerchiiingg!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73056339#post73056339

I hate these firms almost as much as I loathe parking companies.

Here's what 'litter-police' companies do to people, lovely, they must be soooo proud:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/06/litter-police-bully-pensioner-with-learning-difficulties-over-cigarette-butt-6907458/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39882434

What a shining example of British enterprise for a start-up business (NOT):

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-litter-enforcement-company-issues-fewer-tickets-than-predecessor/43143

Council litter enforcement company issues fewer tickets than predecessor

''A council-owned litter enforcement company in East Hampshire has issued half as many fines than their predecessor because of their ‘honest’ approach to dealing with the public.

EH Commercial Services (EHCS) — a company wholly owned by East Hampshire DC — only issued 719 tickets last year compared to the previous year when their predecessor, the private company Kingdom Services, handed out 1,454.

Chris Bradley, a director at EHCS, explained the difference in the number of tickets was the result of EHCS being a start-up company which is still ‘learning’.
    ''

Errrrm...''still learning'' does not equate to ''an honest approach to the public''.

Totally agree and it's just like parking, if a section of the public didn't take liberties maybe the Councils like private landholders wouldn't be persuaded they need to hire scum to fight back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure