* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin

CHRISSY i am the same lived in a bungalow now for nearly 17 years and i am terrible with stairs now, i go a bit giddy coming down them and have to hold on going up and down :D love DDs logic, i dont know why but i thought your DD was a bit of a goth for some reason, going by previous things you have bought her or was that just a phase :D

Its a phase that pops up occasionally luckily not too often now !
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pablosmummy- I envy anyone who has knitting or crocheting skills. Welcome!

Newthrift- glad you feel rested and refreshed xx

Free- yup Im still around!
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 June 2016 at 6:31PM
    Free My laptop is playing up at the moment but thankfully I have the iPad mini & an older desktop so I'm not too stuck. Has your laptop been having words with mine? :D

Welcome to the thread Pablosmummy! Sounds like you have plenty of ideas for Christmas.

Glad to 'hear' that you had a lovely holiday Newthrift. Sounds like it was just the relaxing time that you & OH needed.

My ideal house would be a detached bungalow - as it is future proof accommodation. Currently live in an end terraced house but can't see how you could fit a stairlift as there is no room at the top or bottom of the stairs. I have a disability which means that this house might not be entirely suitable in the future.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Evening everyone, i used my last tesco vouchers i had and doubled up seen as it was the last one, it wasnt a lot but i managed to get some trousers and big boy pants (for when he is potty trained) for Thumper, i also got a water mat that you draw on with a pen with water in it, so that is him finished for birthday and christmas and 90% money neutral. I now have just DS, DD2s OH, and DD1 and DD2s beauty hampers left to do for christmas, i have already started the girls hampers so that is a good start. I also went into The Range and treated myself to a new Buddha and have sold one i already had (bought by exH) on facebay tonight so that has paid for that. DD1 has been brilliant with the garden and worked so hard out there, and DD2s OH helped on sunday as well its already looking 100 times better than it did, that has really felt like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

CHRISSY aww bless her, has her wound healed now from her op?

MURIE good to know you are still around ;)

3FORHOLIDAYS isnt it a pain when they dont work properly? I have missed it so much, i spend far too much time on it!!! Would it be possible for you to move to a bungalow in the future? We exchanged back in 1999 to a bungalow for my exH as he had back problems.
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Welcome to the thread PABLOSMUMMY, I too am in awe of people who can crochet. I can knit (fairly basically though) but crochet just eludes me.

NEWTHRIFT glad you had a lovely break, it does us all good to just get away for a while.

Happy Birthday (belated) MRSGIGGLEWICK and DOJ.

3FORHOLIDAYS I think a detached bungalow would be my ideal home too as DH has mobility problems although I do prefer to go upstairs to bed. Having said that what I'd really like is a spacious apartment with a balcony overlooking a harbour. Unfortunately what I'd like and what I can afford are quite far apart!

FREE my iPad has become like an extension of me - when our broadband went down last week it was like I'd been cut off. Actually our broadband is still down (just had to buy a new router from Sky - £75 inc postage:eek:) but our lovely next door neighbours have let us log onto theirs. You're doing really well with your pressies, I'm going to have to pull my socks up!

JJ are you out there? Hope things are ok with you and you're just too busy to post. Ditto BABY BOO.

Had the three youngest grandchildren here on Sunday. DGD IS 7 and two DGSs are 4 and 2. The two year old has just been diagnosed as autistic, he's non verbal but is doing really well with his Makaton signing and can do all his colours and quite a lot of animals. He also knows every one of the engines in Thomas the Tank Engine and is obsessed with the Gruffalo. He's so gorgeous I could eat him lol. We're all trying to learn Makaton too. DD is really good but I find that because I don't see him every day I keep forgetting what I've learnt. I've certainly become very familiar with Mr Tumble over recent months!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    [QUOTE=freespirit66;

CHRISSY aww bless her, has her wound healed now from her op?

It is healing well although I do hope it settles down as its not the neatest of scars.

• murie
    murie Posts: 1,251
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can neither knit nor crochet- in fact anything that requires me to sit still for any length of time (apart from reading) eludes me!

Peppa- an apartment overlooking a harbour? You and me both! (Although maybe not an active fishing harbour cus of the smell- so maybe its a good thing that I cant afford it lol!).
    Sounds as if you had a lovely time over the weekend with your grandchildren x

Chrissy- Mom swore by propolis when she had the skin cancer removed from her crown- it was a big hole (about 3" across and a bit jagged round the edges) but she applied proplis every day and it has healed beautifully. Its expensive but might be worth a try x

3fortheholidays- my friends dad had a lift installed by social services when it became too much for him to manage the stairs. It was situated in the corner of the room and went straight into his bedroom. He owned his own home but I do know of a woman who lives a few doors down from mom who is a council tenant and had much the same thing installed. It may be worth asking via the GP if and when comes that you have difficulties. I would always go via the GP as we had enquired for several years about a walk in shower for mom rather than a shower over the bath and we didn't get anywhere. I went with her to a GP appointment at the end of last year and asked and viola- social services came out and she is having her bathroom turned into a wet room the week beginning 11th July!
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

3FORHOLIDAYS Would it be possible for you to move to a bungalow in the future?

Possibly. I might also want to move nearer to work as I currently live a 15 minute drive away but I don't drive. The bus takes 30-35 mins & you also have to add time to walk to/from bus stop so since my dad retired he has given me a lift to work. :)

Due to my disability I do have a bus pass which entitles me to free bus travel but the journey is so much quicker in the car that refusing a lift would be silly.

Don't worry about my dad - I've just contributed to a new car & give him petrol money so he's not got a raw deal with this arrangement. ;):D

The houses near work are a lot more expensive so I'd better get saving! :cool:
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Evening everyone, i had drs appt this morning to check up on me and she is very pleased she couldnt believe the difference in me from last week to this so dont have to go back for 4-6 weeks now! Now im feeling better we have to concentrate on the diabetes, she is sending me to a group meeting and i will have to have regular eye and feet appts :o oh gawd im so fed up of hosp and drs. I have my last test next week just to be on the safe side then that side of things should be over unless they find anything. Then i am concentrating on getting my christmas lists made :rotfl:

PEPPAPIG its funny isnt it that it doesnt feel right not having a connection to the internet, sometimes i think i want quality time back but i do enjoy just generally surfing, reading the latest news, being on here, sorting emails etc etc. Im glad you had a lovely time with the GC and think its lovely you are all learning Makaton, i know what you mean though it goes in one ear and out the other with me, i know exactly what you mean you need to be doing something every day to get it to stick :D i love Mr Tumble, Thumper was enthralled at a very early age by him :D

CHRISSYG glad DD is healing well :)

MURIE im in your club cant knit or crochet, i learnt to knit as a kid but was atrocious i always ended up in a right old mess. Oh yeah an apartment with a balcony i would love that too!

3FORHOLIDAYS i dont blame you taking up your dads offer of a lift, i used to hate getting buses to work when i left school, the worst is when its the middle of winter and they dont flipping turn up or they are late! Isnt it always the way, where you want to live is the most expensive??
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,281
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Pablos Mummy,another Christmasite is always welcome.

Another one here who would just love a detatched bungalow,with view,beautiful garden etc.We could all live on the same street,imagine how our outdoor Christmas decorations would be:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:

Sadly in the national park bungalows are like hens teeth,we just missed out on one when we moved here.My new friend from London bought it and they are ripping it apart,it will be stunning and have a fantastic view without being too isolated.

I love autistic logic,they are good for us others as they see life so differently.I worked with lots of children at school with autism,loved it.I think the funniest DD2 has said went like this.Mr V goes in the kitchen to see her buttering some toast on a plate so fast the knife was practically a blur.Mr V "what are you doing?" DD2 "Vulpix told me to make soft toast like she does you have to butter it quickly".Can't argue with that!

Nowt Christmas to report other than we have begun making stuff at craft club to sell at the Christmas fair.I have two hospital apps this week (knees...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo)
    so will mooch round the shops to look for bits,I saw nothing last time I went into town.

My eldest daughter is visiting tomorrow so will get some help to put photos on if I remember of my remodelled rings and the finished kitchen.

Woohoo,6 months to Christmas.

Vx
     :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills