PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• HGW2012
    Options
    I am so impatient.

Our solicitor isn't really telling us anything, we called for an update and they just said searches in hand nothing to update. Should we be pushing to find out what stage the searches are at?

We are coming up to 6 weeks since offer accepted so not dragging on too much yet. I am wanting to tie in exchange with giving notice to our landlord. Not looking hopeful for end of this month.

No chain either side so hoping this speeds things up!
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HGW2012 wrote: »
    I am so impatient.
    As hard as it is, the process may seem less stressful if you become more patient. The average time for a transaction to go through is 12 weeks.
    Our solicitor isn't really telling us anything, we called for an update and they just said searches in hand nothing to update. Should we be pushing to find out what stage the searches are at?
    The search results are either back with the solicitor, or they're not, no other info your solicitor can give you really. Depending on the local authority search results may take 1 week, or as long as 8 weeks (although that is unusual).
    We are coming up to 6 weeks since offer accepted so not dragging on too much yet. I am wanting to tie in exchange with giving notice to our landlord. Not looking hopeful for end of this month.

No chain either side so hoping this speeds things up!

I'm afraid that assessment looks accurate. With only 2 weeks left in the month it's difficult to see you exchanging before the end of Sept, although not entirely impossible.
  • nikkih72
    Options
    woo hoo, at last we exchanged last Friday, completion due end of October,
    Fingers crossed house is complete and ready then.

Does anyone know what final checks before mortgage money released Natwest will do ? i know its credit searches, but anything else ?
  • dancing_star
    Options
    No news on my purchase, searches are er, being searched. Solicitor says the information provided by vendor's useless conveyancers is 'full of holes' but she will whip them into shape.

However, she rang me to say that, after having asked ridiculous questions and messed about for a couple of weeks, my buyer's solicitor rang her today to ask if we can exchange AND complete tomorrow!

Then the estate agent rang me to say the solicitors had phoned and the buyer himself had been into the office today to see if they could exert pressure to exchange and complete tomorrow.

What on earth??

I still have a couple of things in the storage unit and I can't get there til the weekend, plus I'm not sure a couple of maintenance issues have been fixed, so I've said it will have to be Monday at the earliest.

Nothing will surprise me anymore.
  • pollyannaL
    Options
    after waiting nearly 3 weeks for *apparently* draingage search, and speaking with solicitor Tues and her saying 'we are still waiting', I decided to take things into my own hands.

So i rang the Council land charge team....they tried to prevent me from getting through but i just said 'im entitled to find out the council's timeframes for searches!'. Anyway, got through to the team and he said their timeframes are 5-10days! what is this about. I was fuming and now feel like sending an awful email to solicitors but know it won't get me anywhere. Even more frustrated now. Trying to calm down and will do something tomorrow.

Should I ring solicitors again??? Hmmmmmm....
  • eittolder
    Options
    pollyannaL - i was in the same boat an actually got the council to confirm when the searches had been sent back and then was able to able pressure to my Solicitor.

Exchange on mine on Monday and completion next Friday (22nd), 14 weeks from offer but took seller 3 and a half weeks to find so not bad really, although feels like has taken forever.
  • HGW2012
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    I'm afraid that assessment looks accurate. With only 2 weeks left in the month it's difficult to see you exchanging before the end of Sept, although not entirely impossible.

Thanks, had a update from out solicitor today he is waiting to hear back from the EA today over a query and hopes to then have a idea on a exchange/completion date.

Will call in a week for a further update.
  • UKTelecom
    UKTelecom Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2017 at 1:16PM
    Options
    How far off getting an exchange date do you think I am?

All searches have come back fine.

And the seller's solicitors have now responded to the queries my solicitor sent them (basic stuff really: certificate for boiler, electrics etc). The guy I am buying from is a contractor who flips houses for a living, so I am hoping he knows in advance what docs to provide when selling a property.

Assuming my solicitor is satisfied with what they have provided, do you think I will get an exchange date soon?

Neither of us are part of a chain - the property I am buying is vacant.

When do I actually hand over my deposit money to my solicitor?
  • london.cidade
    Options
    it is a leasehold maisonette with a 999-year lease.
    the offer has been accepted, mortgage offer has been sent to us and to our solicitor.
    and finally, the draft contract has been sent by the seller`s solicitor on 11th of September.

so what are the remaining steps? would you please add if anything missing below?

1 searches
    2 agreeing on the contract
    3 paying deposit
    4 exchange
    5 completion
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 4:09PM
    Options
    it is a leasehold maisonette with a 999-year lease.
    the offer has been accepted, mortgage offer has been sent to us and to our solicitor.
    and finally, the draft contract has been sent by the seller`s solicitor on 11th of September.

so what are the remaining steps? would you please add if anything missing below?

1 searches
    2 agreeing on the contract
    3 paying deposit
    4 exchange
    5 completion

There will almost certainly be a massive list of enquiries that your solicitor will want satisfactory answers to, following the results of the searches, and information contained withing the lease documents and property management info.

This could take several weeks for all queries to be answered to the satisfaction of your solicitor.

In fact, you'll be doing well to exchange before the end of October.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback