Hmrc timescale

Hello
Hopefully someone can give me an idea of Hmrc timescales.
My solicitor submitted an iht400 for my fathers estate last December, however Hmrc said they didn't receive it. This was not noticed until the middle of April, probate was then pushed through quickly and we received the certificate at the end of April.
How long should we be expecting to wait to hear back from Hmrc?
Solicitor is sole executor, so we can't chase ourselves.
Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• farmermo wrote: »
    Hello
    Hopefully someone can give me an idea of Hmrc timescales.
    My solicitor submitted an iht400 for my fathers estate last December, however Hmrc said they didn't receive it. This was not noticed until the middle of April, probate was then pushed through quickly and we received the certificate at the end of April.
    How long should we be expecting to wait to hear back from Hmrc?
    Solicitor is sole executor, so we can't chase ourselves.
    Thanks for any responses.
    Nobody can tell. Is there any IHT to be paid?
  • Hopefully not, there is a working farm involved so agricultural relief is applicable
  • farmermo wrote: »
    Hopefully not, there is a working farm involved so agricultural relief is applicable
    When you said in post#1 that a certificate had been received did you mean probate had been granted? If so then HMR&C must have approved it. In which case any delay is down to the solicitor.
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    The HMRC receipt confirms they have the OHT account and any tax the applicant says is payable.

It is not confirmation that they have checked or approved the figures and this usually takes them months.

I wouldn't be surprised if the solicitor has heard nothing more as yet.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Crabapple wrote: »
    The HMRC receipt confirms they have the OHT account and any tax the applicant says is payable.

It is not confirmation that they have checked or approved the figures and this usually takes them months.

I wouldn't be surprised if the solicitor has heard nothing more as yet.
    Noted. The OP seemed to say that probate had been granted. Still an appallingly, but now seems typically, long delay.
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Yep the receipt will allow you to get probate, but HMRC then take their own sweet time to properly review the account.

In their defence it seems there have been so many redundancies made over the years there are precious few staff left who are qualified to do the work.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure