IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tinker3385 wrote: »
    The document
    states that the operator may cease to have authority prior to when the parking charge was issued, and while it states that the operator did have authority at that time, the document is dated over a month before the parking event. Thus, the document does not prove on balance that the
    operator had authority at the time of the parking event.

Yep C-m - the contract says that at the time of its writing, the operator is given authority. But it also has a clause that says that they could cease to have that authority at some future point. The PCN was issued at a future point, and there is nothing to confirm that - at the time of the PCN being issued - the operator still had authority, as it could have ceased at some point between the contract's writing and the time of the PCN.

I guess it's something like "the landowner can cancel with one month's notice", and the PCN was issued more than a month after the contract.

This could be a useful new appeal point. If RKs are appealing on the basis of 'lack of authority', then they should say something along the lines of "if the landowner contract shows a termination clause or notice period that could allow the contract to be terminated prior to the date of the alleged incident, I put the PPC to strict proof that the contract was in force on the relevant date".
  • The Operator issued parking charge notice number 103140919020 arising out of the presence at Toys’R’Us, on 19 September 2014, of a vehicle with registration mark
    The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge. The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.
    The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.
    The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    On 19 September 2014, a parking charge notice was issued to a vehicle with registration mark For exceeding the maximum duration of stay permitted.
    The Operator’s case is that the terms and conditions of use of the site state that the car park is 45 minutes free parking. The Operator says that the Appellant’s vehicle remained at the site for a period of 18 minutes longer than the stay authorised. They have provided supportive evidence to support their submissions.
    The Appellant has made a number of submissions, however, I will only elaborate on the one submission that I am allowing this appeal on, namely that the parking charge notice is punitive and it does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    The Operator rejected the Appellant’s representations, as set out in the notice of rejection they sent because they state that a breach of the car park conditions had occurred by exceeding the maximum duration of stay permitted. They state that their parking charges are in line with the British Parking association’s guidelines and they amount to a genuine pre-estimate of loss
    The burden of proof is on the Operator to prove its case on balance of probabilities. The Operator submits that their parking charges amount to a pre-estimate of loss, however, they have not provided a break down report to support their submissions. I find that the Operator has not fully supported the enforcement of the parking charge notice and they have not discharged the burden of proof.
    Accordingly, I allow this appeal.
    Aurela Qerimi
    Assessor
  • OPC PCN in own parking space:

It is the Operator’s case that their Terms and Conditions of parking (“the Terms”) are clearly displayed throughout the above named site. They submit that the Appellant breached the Terms by failing to display a valid permit and therefore is liable to pay the parking charge.
    The Appellant raises several grounds of appeal but it is only necessary for the purposes of this appeal to deal with one. This is the submission that the parking charge does not reflect a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    Where such a submission is made, there is a burden on the Operator, and not the driver, to provide a genuine pre-estimate of loss which details how they calculated the parking charge amount. It does not need to be particularly detailed or amount to exactly the charge amount because it is simply an estimate. However, one must be provided.
    The Operator has not provided any evidence which establishes the charge reflects a genuine pre-estimate of loss. They have not discharged their burden and so I cannot find that the charge is justified in this case. Therefore, I find that the charge is unenforceable and the Appellant is not liable to pay it.
    Accordingly, I allow the appeal.

Appeal won. Thanks to everyone for their help.
  • Postal PCN from Excel after no payment in P&D car park, appeal upheld on grounds of no GPEoL:

In order to justify that the amount is a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the operator submitted a breakdown of the losses they incurred as a result of the appellant’s breach. Amongst other things, the operator has included costs such as the debt recovery process and final reminder process costs which cannot be taken into account as the operator has not incurred this loss as a result of the appellant’s breach. I am not minded to accept the debt recovery process as part of the justification as not all parking charge notices will go to the debt recovery process stage. I also find that the operator cannot claim the “2nd Stage Process” to be a separate heading of losses incurred as a result of the appellant’s breach. This is because the procedure for dealing with an appeal is not structured in a way so that the appellant can re-appeal to the operator. Therefore I find that it is not reasonable for the operator to pre-estimate this as a loss. I find that the list submitted by the operator does not substantially reflect the loss suffered as a result of the appellant’s breach. This is because it appears that a substantial portion of the costs refer to the debt recovery process and the “2nd Stage Process”.

Considering carefully all the evidence before me, I find that the damages sought on this particular occasion do not amount to a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Accordingly, the appeal is allowed.

Christopher Monk
    Assessor
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Almost unbelievably, some joker from MET issued a windscreen ticket on my car at High Wycombe station. I sent a challenge letter to MET, who rejected that, so this was my appeal to POPLA:

1. On the material date, the driver parked the vehicle at High Wycombe train station, and caught a train to London. The driver attempted to make payment using the Ringo system by mobile phone, but the system would not accept the location code. After making several attempts, the mobile signal was lost as the train entered tunnels. The Operator states, in their rejection letter, that motorists should use other methods of payment at the station, but that was not feasible in this instance as the driver was already on the train.

2. The location in question is not 'relevant land' as defined by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, as it is owned by Chiltern Railways and is subject to the Railway Byelaws. This means that the Operator cannot pursue the Registered Keeper under the Act, and can only pursue the driver. The Operator has not provided any evidence of the driver's identity, and there are no formal admissions from the registered keeper.

3. The Operator is not the owner of the land in question, and therefore does not provide any consideration which may form a contract with motorists. Any consideration, in the form of a parking space, is provided by the landowner, in this case Chiltern Railways, and any liquidated damages for breach of contract would be owed to the landowner, not to the Operator.

4. The Operator's charges do not constitute a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The sum of £100 is clearly an arbitrary figure designed to deter breach of contract, and is therefore a penalty charge, unenforceable in any civil action. Other operators have attempted, in previous submissions to POPLA, to justify their charges by citing items such as staff wages, uniforms, trade association memberships and so on, but all of these are normal business running expenses which do not arise as a direct consequence of this incident. Furthermore, costs incurred such as those involved in dealing with appeals, and subsequent submissions to POPLA, should not be considered as they are ex post facto costs which had not been incurred at the material time.

The assessor is therefore invited to allow this appeal.

Today I received the POPLA decision as follows:

Mr Bargepole (Appellant)

-v-

MET Parking Services Ltd (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXXXXXXX arising out of a presence on private land, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]allowed. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.

The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.

Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Shehla Pirwany

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Assessor

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Vs. G24, no GPEoL.

The standard reply... Thanks all.

"The Appellant raises several grounds of appeal but it is only necessary for the purposes of this appeal to deal with one. This is the submission that the parking charge does not reflect a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

"Where such a submission is made, there is a burden on the Operator, and not the driver, to provide a genuine pre-estimate of loss which details how they calculated the parking charge amount. It does not need to be particularly detailed or amount to exactly the charge amount because it is simply an estimate. However, one must be provided.

"The Operator has not provided any evidence which establishes the charge reflects a genuine pre-estimate of loss. They simply state that their charge amounts to liquidated damages and is in accordance with the recommendations of the BPA. This is not sufficient to discharge their burden and so I cannot find that the charge is justified in this case. Therefore, I find that the charge is unenforceable and the Appellant is not liable to pay it.

"Accordingly, I allow the appeal.

"Ricky Powell

"Assessor"
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Two more PSDSUs. :D
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I received my POPLA appeal decision yesterday:

24 November 2014

Reference XXXX
    always quote in any communication with POPLA

Dear Sir or Madam

(Appellant)
    -v-
    APCOA Parking (UK) Ltd (Operator)

The Operator has informed us that they have cancelled parking charge notice number XXXXXX, issued in respect of a vehicle with the registration mark XXXXXX .

Your appeal has therefore been allowed by order of the Lead Adjudicator.

You are not liable for the parking charge and, where appropriate, any amounts already paid in respect of this parking charge notice will be refunded by the Operator.

Still not had any correspondence from APCOA that it has been cancelled though.
  • luke123456
    luke123456 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2014 at 10:05PM
    Thanks to everyone on this forum for all their help!! My late appeal to POPLA was accepted as below;

The Operator issued parking charge notice number xxxxxx arising
    out of the presence at the Car Park at Iceland, xxx, of a vehicle with registration mark xxxxxx.
    The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has
    determined that the appeal be allowed.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    On xxx the operator issued a parking charge notice to a vehicle with
    registration mark xxx. The operator recorded that the vehicle was
    parked without displaying a valid pay and display ticket or permit.
    The appellant made many representations; however, I shall only deal with the
    ground upon which the appeal is being allowed. Specifically, the appellant
    submitted that the charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The
    implication of this submission is that the parking charge is in fact punitive.
    Appellants are not to be expected to use legal terminology. In this case, it
    appears to be the appellant’s case that the parking charge is in fact a sum
    for specified damages, in other words compensation agreed in advance and
    so should be proportionate to the loss suffered. Accordingly, the charge must
    be shown not to be punitive. This is illustrated by the operator providing a
    genuine pre-estimate of loss, which reflects the parking charge.
    In order to justify that the amount is a genuine pre-estimate of loss, the
    operator submitted a breakdown of the losses they incurred as a result of the
    appellant’s breach. Amongst other things, the operator has included costs
    such as the debt recovery process and final reminder process costs which
    cannot be taken into account as the operator has not incurred this loss as a
    result of the appellant’s breach. I am not minded to accept the debt
    recovery process as part of the justification as not all parking charge notices
    will go to the debt recovery process stage. I also find that the operator
    cannot claim the “2nd Stage Process” to be a separate heading of losses
    incurred as a result of the appellant’s breach. This is because the procedure
    for dealing with an appeal is not structured in a way so that the appellant
    can re-appeal to the operator. Therefore I find that it is not reasonable for the
    operator to pre-estimate this as a loss. I find that the list submitted by the
    operator does not substantially reflect the loss suffered as a result of the
    appellant’s breach. This is because it appears that a substantial portion of the
    costs refer to the debt recovery process and the “2nd Stage Process”.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, I find that the damages
    sought on this particular occasion do not amount to a genuine pre-estimate
    of loss.
    Accordingly, the appeal is allowed.
    Nadesh Karunairetnam
    Assessor
  • Thanks to everyone who contributed, particularly Coupon-mad and Umkomaas for helping my appeal. Just been informed my appeal is allowed against VCS.

-v-
    Vehicle Control Services Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXXXXXX arising out of the presence at XXXXXXXX, of a vehicle with registration mark XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge. The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be [FONT= ]allowed.[/FONT]
    [FONT= ]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT= ] [/FONT]The Assessor’s reasons are as set out.

[FONT= ]Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]
    [/FONT]
    It is the Operator’s case that their Terms and Conditions of parking (“the Terms”) are clearly displayed throughout the above named site. They submit that the Appellant breached the Terms by failing to display a valid permit and is therefore liable to pay the parking charge issued.

The Appellant raises several grounds of appeal but it is only necessary for the purposes of this appeal to deal with one of those grounds. This is the submission that the parking charge does not reflect a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    The Operator submits that the charge does in fact represent a genuine pre- estimate of loss. However, I reject this submission for the following reasons;
    • i) A pre-estimate of loss should only include losses which the Operator reasonably expects to incur as a result of the particular breach the Appellant is alleged to have committed;
    • ii) The costs for the ‘2nd Stage Process’ are not properly included in the pre-estimate because appellants are only entitled to make representations to the Operator once and so the Operator cannot submit that they expect to incur costs for responding to ‘further representations’. These costs would not naturally flow from the alleged breach and so I must disregard the total of £32.92 from the total;
    • iii) The costs for the ‘debt recovery process’ are also not properly included in this case. It is not the case that the Operator can reasonably expect, as a matter of course, the sums due not to be paid by an Appellant. It is by no means certain, or even inherently likely, that the debt recovery action suggested by the Operator in its pre-estimate will be necessary. Therefore, I must disregard the total of £14.94 from the pre-estimate.
    • iv) The total pre-estimate, after the above deductions, amounts to £76.20. I do not find that this amount substantially reflects the parking charge amount of £100.
    Therefore, I find the charge to be a penalty and unenforceable.
    Accordingly, I allow the appeal.

[FONT= ]Ricky Powell
    [/FONT]
    [FONT= ]
    [/FONT]
    Assessor
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts