Best place to sell china, glass, plates etc

Hi

I really do need to have a clear out! Have inherited a vast amount of stuff from my late father (collections of plates, cut glass, bone china etc).

Am wondering where the best place to sell it is. I am a bit reluctant to car boot it at the minute, might seem daft but I don't think I am ready to see people picking through my dads things offering me 50p for stuff I know is worth more.

If I ebay it what is the best way to package glass, china etc so that it doesn't get smashed in the post? Bubble wrap and then boxed?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Norma_Desmond
    Norma_Desmond Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    Have you got a local auction house?
    It may be worth trying them as at least they'd sort the items into saleable lots and take a note of any rarer things.
    At least you wouldn't have the hassle of packing the stuff - just watch out for their commision.
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lushlady wrote: »
    If I ebay it what is the best way to package glass, china etc so that it doesn't get smashed in the post? Bubble wrap and then boxed?

Yes I would use bubble wrap and boxes. When it is packaged you should feel confident dropping the parcel a few feet onto a concrete floor. If you are worried about doing this it needs more packaging!

The problem with glass and china is that no carrier will insure it.

I also would go with a local auction. Saves taking lots of time taking photos, listing and the expense and difficulty of packing. They will probably charge about 15-20% commission which is not much more than Paypal/Ebay and do all the work for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure