2011 mfw

Comments

• curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Keep up the good work Sassyblue - you've achieved 28% of your target and only 25% of the year has expired! You're ahead of the game!
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    de1amo wrote: »
    i am aiming to clear my mortgage by 2014 but i am saving rather than over paying-i get 4pc less tax on my savings and my mortgage is 2pc on a svr but İO--l do wonder what the pros and cons are of doing it my way as opposed to overpaying? -i seem to feel more secure with savings in the bank and know i cant ever get 55k from my lender again.--i would join here on my strange path!

I know what you mean about putting money into savings - its they psychology of watching a balance go up or watching a balance go down. It's taken me a while to get to appreciate the latter.

According to Martin's Mortgage vs Savings Calculator:-

Enter Your Mortgage RateIt's worth paying off your mortgage with savings unless... % you earn 2.5% as a basic rate taxpayer,3.3% at the higher rate
    or 4% at the additional rate

Can't see any problem in what you are doing as long as your SVR doesn't rise quicker/more than savings interest rates. So just review the situation regularly.

The other consideration - is there any restriction on the size of repayments. If next month you decided it wasn't worth having your money in savings but you be able to make it an OP without penalty?

Another issue - and quite a controversial one.....What happens if you find yourself in circumstances (unemployment, illness) where you would need assistance with living costs. If short term you would be okay - you'd be able to cover your expenses. But if its long term, your savings pot would effect what you could claim and once it's drained you'd still have your mortgage sat there. I'm not encouraging anyone to sit back and think 'I'm going to scrounge off the state' but this is something you may want to think about.

Just for the record, incase anyone thinks I've not provided for myself and am plotting to claim lots of benefit if the worst happens - I have 15 months worth of expenses covered in my savings and insurance. In anycase it seems to me that the people who really need assistance don't get want they really need and others make a career out of it.......but that's another thread ;)
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    No 15 reporting in total overpayment for mortgage for the month of March is £850. It will not be as high next month as we are paying council tax!!!
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    İ dont actualy live or work in the uk--my earnings there come from an old occupational pension that was awarded due to poor health--one of those very stressed out people!--the only worry i have with the pension is that they are revising its connection to the RPİ and putting it on the CPİ--if the worse things happened i would let the place out.

The mortgage was actually taken to buy my home abroad and give myself a good base to start a new life from. İ have gone from strenght to strength in my quest to rebuild my life and health-i have married out here and we have a booming English school which gives us both good incomes. i dont include my 'foreign' life in my Uk total which in some ways leads to an inner insecurity which i wish i could overcome!

i will watch the interest rates with interest--i can get about 7,5 pc here but there is a lot of consideration about the exchange rate to be thought out--if uk rates go up the pound strengthens which means i get more lira for my money--i put it in various pots out here--gold and business opportunities --i get about 15pc in dividends from these.
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • Evening all.

My overpayment for April 1st is winging its way to the B/S. I have updated my signature to include these figures. I am hoping to have the mortgage paid off by the end of this year. We shall see.

Onwards and downwards :D
    Have a lovely evening everyone

MOOC
    Mortgage Free as of 31/5/11 :j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No 27 reporting in £41.06 paid this month bringing my total to £123.18 for the year so far. I started work again this month so with 2 full time wages coming in I can finally start making 'proper' overpayments from next month:D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    no 28 reporting. After an expensive start to the year, decorating, carpeting and finishing the loft, I have realised my target was unrealistic. I also paid an £1800 get out fee for my mortgage, to save £200 a month in interest repayments. Makes sense for my 5 year fixed, but means have paid the costs up front.

I am pleased to say however that we have oped £2500 this month :j! This was made up of a month's mortgage payment (they are not taking our first one until 5 May), a refund from our mortgage transfer, £100 from opening a fd account, and £83 interest from an isa we cleared last year.

I'd like to get the mortgage down to £175,000 or below. Am I meant to state my mortgage op's here though rather than the final target? I wlll need to work that out....
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    p.s. how funny, no 28 posting just after no 27 :rotfl: - no we did not co-ordinate that in advance!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • wonderbee
    wonderbee Posts: 25 Forumite
    No 153 reporting. Another OP for £50. Total of £400 in March.

Wonderbee
    Mortgage free wannebe no:98
  • No 5 reporting in...........

total overpayments this month were £190 which was made up of ebay sales, quidco and cashback from credit card :j:j
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport