Cyclist collision at mini round about

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    lister wrote: »
    I can tell you precisely why you probably didn't see him. The same reasons that most 'looked but failed to see' accidents occur

Fighter Pilot’s Guide to Surviving on the Roads.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    For someone to drive a car without insurance is an offence, to ride a bike on the public highway is not.

It may be an offence but not having insurance does not prevent you claiming from another vehicles Insurer if they are at fault.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Was there a cycle path a little further up on the other side of the road?
    Oooh, you mischievous poster.....:rotfl:
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh, you mischievous poster.....:rotfl:

It had to be asked, even back then :D
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I don't think the OP is Kraken.

nobody's been "called out" yet and nor has anyone been accused of ad hominem attacks.

And nobody's been accused of "failing to learn their lesson". (Yet).
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It isn't. The rule is "give priority to traffic approaching from your right ...". They don't have to be on the roundabout.

Yes - thanks for the clarification - makes the matter worse for OP as cyclist didn't even need to be on the roundabout.
    Speed limits do not apply to pedal cyclists (unless the roundabout was in a royal park).

Yes - my point being that a cyclist can't really be going all that fast, and OP can only guess their speed anyway
    The rules on overtaking apply to all vehicles, 2-wheeled or 4.

I know that, but no overtaking happened here as some people had said. Filtering happened, which is different from overtaking.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    I know that, but no overtaking happened here as some people had said. Filtering happened, which is different from overtaking.

That's a matter of semantics and a whole other can o worms ;)
  • roroy
    Options
    Irrespective of semantics and the apparent blasting of someone who was in an accident both parties are to blame here. Cyclists have a responsibility to be seen and not to recklessly enter roundabouts at speed (there must have been some speed involved or the cyclist would not have hit the side of the OP's car and would have had time to break), motorist have a responsibility to be vigilant for cyclists even if they drive in a wreckless manner.

I agree with a previous comment, if the car hit the bike from the right, this forum would say its the cars fault for not being vigilante and questioning who entered the round about first.

And for the record - cyclists need to "light up" at sunset where as motorists have 30 mins later
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    Yes drivers should always look out for ninja cyclists at night, especially in rural areas. BUT when an accident does occur with such a cyclist, it follows that generally the motorist will have a defence. Mind you, in cases such as the one below, that won't remove the years of emotional nightmares the driver will be left with afterwards.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/death_of_welwyn_garden_city_violinist_a_tragic_accident_says_coroner_1_1115588
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Throbbe
    Throbbe Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Look, it doesn't matter what the cyclist did, or didn't, or should, or shouldn't, have done.

The fact is that you failed to see a cyclist until he actually hit you. Stop finding excuses and LEARN FROM IT.

This, many times over.

If no-one was hurt and there was no significant damage, the best outcome is that both you and the cyclist will have learnt something and will be safer in future. At the moment this thread seems to be all about you trying to find reasons that you did nothing wrong.

I clearly remember on driving lessons being told that when someone flashes or waves you out you go only when you are sure that it is safe to do so, and that includes checking for vehicles behind them. If you are not certain, you don't go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure