PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying new house but need old house for bigger deposit

DiDums
DiDums Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 12 October 2016 at 2:52PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All,

I looking to buy or upgraded to a bigger house, my mother has given me a deposit but it not big enough.
The only way I can get enough of a deposit is if I sell my current home, which I have a mortgage on. I can't just sell my current home, as I get around in a wheelchair so I can't move to a temporary place while I get the money from the sale of my current home.

What advice would you give?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A fairly normal process is for you to put your house on the market. Find a house you wish to buy. Get an offer for your current house, put in a offer for the future house. You get a move in date, you get a move out date, ideally you work this in your favour so that you move out of one house in to the other. You will recieve the money from your buyer at say 10am and then you will give your money to the person you are buying your new home from at 12pm. During this time youre normally in a solicitors office or an estate agents sorting out keys.

I can imagine youre not the only person who has been in such a situation. Timing is vital for the above scenario and will no oubt be a bit hectic. Another option is going on a holiday for a few weeks while everything is going through. So you dont need to stay in your old house and it gives you time to get things put in place in your new house so it suitable for your needs when you get back from holiday.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This is normal, it's where the term "Chain" comes from. At one end is someone selling an empty property or buying a new build, at the other a first time buyer or BTL landlord.

Able bodied people generally can't move into temporary accommodation either - tenancies are usually for 6 months minimum.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    To put it more simply - you would sell and buy on the same day.

This is what 95%+ of people do.

On that day, you simply move out of your current house, and move into your new house.

Estate Agents, Solicitors, Buyers, Sellers and everyone else will see this as normal. It's not something you need to worry about.

... Unless you're saying that you cannot move into a new house until work is done on the new house - perhaps adaptions for your wheelchair. Is that the case?
  • Thanks to all who responded so quick.

So basically I put my house on the market, look for a new place to live ideally a new development, or somewhere where its bit more wheelchair friendly ie ground floor and the doors are much wider

Does it become complicated when I get an offer for my house but I still haven't found somewhere new to live, or I found a new place to live but haven't got any offers.

Sorry for being stupid, but this is all so new to me as I don't like to keep people hanging if they want to buy my place, and I don't want to lose my new place if I don't have the fund for it
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    DiDums wrote: »
    Thanks to all who responded so quick.

So basically I put my house on the market, look for a new place to live ideally a new development, or somewhere where its bit more wheelchair friendly ie ground floor and the doors are much wider

Does it become complicated when I get an offer for my house but I still haven't found somewhere new to live, or I found a new place to live but haven't got any offers.

Sorry for being stupid, but this is all so new to me as I don't like to keep people hanging if they want to buy my place, and I don't want to lose my new place if I don't have the fund for it

You generally wont be able to offer on anywhere until you have found a buyer for your house
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi All,
    The only way I can get enough of a deposit is if I sell my current home, which I have a mortgage on.

You link your purchase and sale in a chain, so the 10% deposit from your sale gets passed up the chain to your purchase on exchange. You can top this up with your mum's gifted deposit if your purchase costs more. If its still not enough, you can try to negotiate a lower deposit e,g, 8% on your purchase, or last resort, exchange and complete on the same day. This way you have your full sale proceeds, not just the deposit to put towards your purchase. However I wouldn't recommend this, as before exchange you don't know if its really going ahead and presumably you'd want to have removals booked on completion (i.e. moving day)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks to all who responded so quick.

Usually, you would wait until you have an offer on your house, then find a place you like and put an offer on that.

As you say, your buyer will have to wait whilst you look for somewhere - but that's usual, and most buyers will expect that.

It's slightly more complicated if you decide on a new development, because there could be a long wait until it's finished. Your buyer might be happy to wait, but it might put some buyers off.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I suggest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Buy-House-Phil-Spencer/dp/0718147340

Being a wheelchair use does not alter the process. Most people cannot afford to buy a bigger/better place without selling the place they currently live.

It all hapens on the same day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport