Job Seekers Allowance has Been Stopped

Options

Comments

• TeaBoy_2
    TeaBoy_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    i'm unemployed too so sympathise with OP's son. Some of us just aren't cut out for working life.
    :beer:
    What's it going to be, eh?
  • staindude
    staindude Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I was doing "just about anything" last year because I had no confidence to find anything else. It can work against you in the longrun because if you're already feeling down then it'll drag you down even further. The factory I worked at a couple of times last year treated the temp workers like s**t because they knew they could get away with it. I don't blame people for writing off jobs like that when that's how you'll be treated.

The jobcentre can also act like complete b******s and if you've never been in a situation where you've needed their help a lot then it's hard to understand but even their own colleagues will admit at how uncompetent they appear at times. With some of them it's like they're paying you out of their own pocket. I honestly don't blame some people for lying and frauding them a bit sometimes (I don't mean making a living out of doing it) because the more honest you are the more they try and screw you.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    TeaBoy wrote: »
    i'm unemployed too so sympathise with OP's son. Some of us just aren't cut out for working life.
    :beer:

So the rest of us are supposed to graft our backsides off and have 31% of our wages taken off us to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth because you're a bone idle !!!!!! who can't be bothered to work?

What's it like being a parasite?

The good news is that if the Conservatives get in, which it looks like, they've a track record for not taking kindly to dole scroungers so expect life to get very difficult when they do.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Your post count on here makes it very clear that you are not working flat out. I'm not saying that you are not working, but exaggeration only discredits what you say, and makes you look silly.

Last week I did 44 hours in 4 days. The week before I did 65 on nights, the week before that I did 52. From November to February I was averaging 55hrs on nights. When I go to work, I either end up starting or finishing between 4-6am and my working day is very rarely less than 10 hours. In the job I do I get a lot of time sat on loading bays waiting to get unloaded. On Thursday, for example, I was sat on the loading bay at 99p Store's distribution center at Daventry from 8am to 11.10am. I take my laptop with me and thanks to "3" Mobile Broadband I go online whilst I'm waiting as it beats sitting there twiddling my thumbs. So that's why my post count is high. I'll even take you out for a run and prove it to you as long as you know how to get out of bed as it'll be a 5am start.

The only person looking silly here is you for thinking that the only way I could possibly post here is sat at home.
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    at my work you can always tell the applicants on JSA there the ones who dont make an effort and are clearly disinterested in the vacancy.i think if a few more lost their JSA it would be the kick up the backside they need.

and the bigot of the day award goes to...................
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    The Jobcentre Plus website lists plenty within 20 miles of Birmingham listed this last week.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
    Have you applied for the factory process worker vacancies that the agencies are advertising for? Only qualification required for those is having a pulse and they're always wanting people.

I can guarantee you I can find you work within a week or a fortnight at the outside. Everyone who has said to me they can't find a job I've found them work within a couple of days.

Here you go..

No previous experience necessary as training will be given. Duties to include working in a warehouse, washing crates, loading crates into a machine and ensuring crates are clean. This position is based in Curdworth and is temporary for 6 weeks possible moving to permanent for the correct candidate.

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0121 5533388 and asking for Patrick Sistrik.

Off you go then...

there may be plenty of jobs advertised but how many of them are "misleading" by agencies just to get you to register, how many people apply for each and actually get to interview let alone the good manners of reply that you have failed as proof of application I have been looking for a new job for several months having applied for approx 100 jobs that suit my skills and only 2 have bothered to reply and one I had interview for never even sent a rejection letter as it was not thier policy to do so ( I called them)
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • boldaslove
    boldaslove Posts: 323 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, i can't help with your original question (although it sounds like you have a case for appealing) but i thought your son may find this service useful if he's having a tough time finding work - http://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/ the services vary from area to area, i went for a few sessions with an advisor and found it really helpful in sorting out what i wanted to do.

take no notice of people preaching about 'scroungers'. these people just take joy in other people's problems because it distracts them from their boring lives for a few moments :) good luck, keep trying and don't get disheartened. something will come along, it only takes one person to offer a job and help turn things around.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    TBH if the JSA are finding him positions to apply for then he's not trying hard enough in the first place. I've never heard of anyone ever having being told to apply for a job so he mustn't be trying very hard to find a job if its got to that point.

The thing is that there's plenty of work available but he has decided that he doesn't want to do certain jobs. That's fine but one of the terms of getting JSA is you apply for anything you're capable of doing after a certain period of time and that includes factory work and cleaners jobs and if you don't, you're not complying with the agreement so your money stops. If I were him, I'd be getting myself off to the agencies and signing up with them for some factory work.

Hell, you're in the West Midlands where there's a dearth of jobs, not in a town with a population of 11000 in one of the lowest population density counties in the UK like I am yet I can still find plenty of work so he has no excuse. There's tons of jobs and the only reason people are unemployed is because they've made decisions to ensure they are.

Personally, I'd like to congratulate the JSA for deciding not to perpetually fund someone who can't be arsed to go get a job.

delightful arent you you dont know much about jobseeking it appears.
    :footie:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you do unsuitable work, work unrelated to your skills and abilities, you will find it does not help you to get the job you deserve. It looks bad on your cv. Your future employer wants to see a consistent work pattern and does not give you brownie points for fruit picking instead of say plumbing. Taking a low paid job because you are forced to is likely to keep you in a low paid job and destroy your health and future. No one cares about you. There is no fairy godmother employer to take pity on you or to recognise your courageous decision to be a hero of labour. The purpose of the Labour Exchange as it used to be called is to get you off their books and into any job suitable or not. Nobody but you cares what it is, what the wage is or how it will affect you. The purpose is to make the government of the day look good and to save money to spend on things like invading other countries. If the Job Centre was a serious place that cared about individuals you would be offered suitable training according to your skills, education and aptitudes. But you don't get any such offer unless you are under 25. Forcing people to do any old job is barbaric and the hallmark of a bullying stalinist society which is what Britain is becoming. If you don't do as you are told you can starve. That's the message you get when you have been unemployed for a while. What they tell you is you are a prisoner of the state and only entitled to the pittance you get paid if you do as you are told, no matter how many years you might have worked previously or if you have just come back from Afghanistan. You are no more than a statistic. That is the reality and you learn that when you forget an appointment, or are late for one, or if you refuse to go for a job that is not suitable for you. Just try and NOT do as youa re told and you will find out what you really are in the eyes of the State. The attituteds are no better now than in the !9th century days of the Poor Law and Workhouses. The cages just look nicer but the punishments are the same.
  • tina1969
    tina1969 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies....

situation at the moment is that we have an appointment next week with the CAB about appealing as we do think the decision is wrong. I have spoken to the employer direct and she has been really helpful. The job actually closed within 3 days due to high demand and not at the original closing date of two weeks. We were not to know that the job was going to close early and also I cannot be held responsible for the postal system. If my son had phoned he would have been told to send in a CV which is what we did to start with. As for his job search.....he is job searching and has got another interview today.....so fingers crossed.......It is wrong for somebody to have their benefit stopped because of one job.....if he hadn't been job searching at all..fair enough..but he was job searching...and in that particular fortnight attended two interviews....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure