Free Courses

Comments

• Nicolefury wrote: »
    So has anybody actually:

1) Finished one of these courses
    2) Received the certificate?

I'm quite tempted to do one, maybe even in just Health and Safety to put it on my CV.
    Err! After reading all the posts from disappointed MSErs I wonder why you are still so tempted.
    Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. - Proust
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    Well to be fair, I've gone through whats available to me and it's not great. The emotion one is the only one that looks vaguely interesting, but I'd rather not sign up and take somebody elses place.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • PHickman
    PHickman Posts: 142 Forumite
    And again... one month later for anyone...

Has anyone...
    2) Received the certificate
    3) Received cashback from any site

Thanks.
  • Just went onto the vision2learn site to see if my application was still there - it was, and shows I've been registered since 2004 to go on the EI course! Bit of a waste of time, if you ask me! I've just tried registering fora few different courses, and surprise surprise, no availability in my area!
    :D GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts
    March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nicolefury wrote: »
    So has anybody actually:

2) Received the certificate?

I'm quite tempted to do one, maybe even in just Health and Safety to put it on my CV.

I did Web Entrepreneur course and received the certificate - Level 2 Certificate in Telematics (nothing actually to do with being an entrepreneur, the entrepreneurial part of the courses doesn't have tutor support and is not assessed for the Telematics qualification)
  • Wiggynut
    Wiggynut Posts: 1,039
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've been trying to apply for a course through Vision2Learn for 9 months! I give up now.
    The first time my application was successful but the college which is on the other side of London was being refurbished so they're was a delay... then they cancelled the course - 3 months down the pan!
    I applied again for a slightly different course - but they said I'm over qualified despite the application form not having anything on it about qualifications!
    And now it always says there are no courses in my area... I would have thought London would be choc full of them!!
    I wouldn't pay £30 through this company to do one of their other courses (they didn't have these at the beginning of the year) as they have not been very helpful and you have to send them about 6 emails before they even bother replying to one of them.
    they then had the cheek to send me an email asking me to refer them on to my friends... how can I give a referral on a course if I can't get on one of them... let alone their 'customer services' - ie Lack off!
    I did think this was a really good thing but as usual something sounds good then it means it wont be!
    Might have to do one of the starter courses with the OU but it's not on the subject I want to do - I need an easy, entry into study type of thing - warm up the old brain!
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I completed the Health And Safety course at the start of 2006. I don't think the course material was that great, but my tutor was excellent. It took ages and a lot of chasing to get my certificate, but it's silver and sparkly. And no one's ever heard of the qualification anyway.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,612
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i wanted to do healthy eating, would you credit it, not available in my area!! is this course internet and telephone based why should my area count. It was the only course i had an interest in but can only get the emotional thingy one
    no point of free course if i am not interested.. i can always try another time i suppose.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    i wanted to do healthy eating, would you credit it, not available in my area!! is this course internet and telephone based why should my area count. It was the only course i had an interest in but can only get the emotional thingy one
    no point of free course if i am not interested.. i can always try another time i suppose.

Though the course material is accessed via the internet and you submit coursework by an email system, the tutors are based at colleges and you would be allocated to one in your general area. And for a number of courses you do have to attend the college to take a supervised assessment.

The area is also important because of where the funders want to concentrate their money.
  • Tetsuko
    Tetsuko Posts: 528 Forumite
    I was told I had a place being run through Lowestoft college. When I heard nothing back I contacted the college but they had never heard Vision2learn and I was asked to forward all the correspondence I had had from Vision2Learn on to the college.

Then I got another email from Vision2Learn telling me that my course had coincidently been moved to a different college.

Then I got a phone call to check my eligibility for the course. I was told that yes I was eligible and that all it would all be going ahead soon.

Then a week or so after the phone call I get another email saying that I don't qualify afterall after almost three months of waiting to do this IT online course. However I do qualify for some namby pamby course that will be of no use to my job prospects whatsoever :confused:

They seem like a total scam to me. I won't be bothering to apply again. I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone :mad:

They can stick their courses where the sun doesn't shine now anyway. I've just been offered a place on a real course :D
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure